Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM

257 posts, read 1,080,994 times

Advertisements

I am into nostalgia today it looks like, I just got off on a tangent on another thread, called "donating money, when someone had said they donated to Jerry Lewis and MD fund"

Wow, guys! Do any of u remember Jerry Lewis having infomercials on TV to send in for a kit to do MD parties? Every kid on our block was the envy of the neighborhood whenever one of us got to have one. We made up our own games, created our own prizes. I have memories of my mother sewing barbie doll clothes and putting them in ziploc bags for prizes, and I would make clothes for wishnicks, remember those with the zany colored hair? think they are now called trolls? My mom was great, all the hours and money she put into that and I don't ever remember her taking any money out for the boughten items, we just sent the check off to Jerry........lol.

Do any of u remember "King Stir" He was this guy on TV dressed up like a King, and sold these plastic sticks, with hardened kool-aid on the end and u put it in a cold glass of water, and got instant glasses of fruity flavors?

How about Kick the can? Red-rover?

Did anyone ever play Man From Uncle? and talk into fountain pens?

How about King of the hill on the merry go round.

Did u ever spend the night in someones tent, eating junk food til u got sick and making shadows with their hands on the canvas?

Geesh, I can remember always losing my key for my roller skates, and having our keys hanging around our neck on a piece of yarn. And seeing most of my friends having a key around their neck also!

Do kids still play double dutch? And sleep out in their treehouses?

I think I was fortunate to be raised in those olden days!

Hhhhmmm, guess the kids are busy sending text messages to each other now and listening to their ipods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 12:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Great post! I, too, was fortunate to be raised "back in the day." I am so glad I'm not a child in today's society and am glad my kids' growing up days were not full of technology and so much trash that goes with it. It's a different world now.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Thank You, and yes how BLESSED we were, and didn't even realize it!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
heh

Last week I was walking the dog around the neighborhood.
I heard a lot of hammering and voices. But it was coming from up in the air.
I looked up and saw a bunch of guys building a tree house up in a huge old oak.
The following weekend I saw that it was mostly done and a bunch of kids, maybe 10-12 years old, were hanging out in it. It's an especially nice one because the oak overlooks a little mini-wetlands, lots of waterbirds and river otters hang out there. Treehouses do not merely reside in the nostalgic recesses of our minds, they are still enchanting children in the 21st century.

Somewhere, I still have my troll doll. I saved four weeks of my allowance for that silly little thing.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
My favorite game was 7-up where you threw a ball up against the wall in different ways.

And, yes, I am a nerd.....loved to dress up. And read comic books - Richie Rich, Archie, Casper, Superman, Batman.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Great post! I, too, was fortunate to be raised "back in the day." I am so glad I'm not a child in today's society and am glad my kids' growing up days were not full of technology and so much trash that goes with it. It's a different world now.
I totally agree. I grew up mostly in the 70's in the Charlotte area. We spent very little time indoors. Fortunately, we live in a great neighborhood where you hear the playing outdoors. I can look out my office window right now and see my 13/11 year old boys playing basketball with their pals. The have some of the gadgets and stuff, but my wife and I heavily regulate it.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 PM

I remember our parents having to drag us in for supper or nightfall, and everyone one of my neighbors had a different sounding dinner bell, so we would know which one of ours friends has to leave for the night. We didn't always stay inside after supper either, sometimes we would stay outside at night and play midnight ghost and such.

Oh My Gosh, I forgot about 7-up, my dad used to get mad at us because we would bounce the ball up against the garage door, sometimes the house, not too mention we also threw tennis balls against the house also.

Did any of you ever get these caps, that went into those little cheap cap guns, and hit them with a rock on the sidewalk, and then later u would have to scrub the paper off the sidewalk, because it would actually burn itself into the concrete?

Then I went over to Grandma's who had a candy shop across the street, with a playground next to it. She would give each of us a nickel, and we would sit on these high stools and pick penny candy out of this wooden display. Wow, what we could get for a nickel. We took our little brown bags, and twisted them up and ran over to the park.

I remember having a sweet 16 slumber party, and we stayed up all night drinking cokes, eating popcorn and dancing to the Monkees......!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:09 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,468 times
I remember 7up. My best friend and I were pros! Remember Red Light, Green Light, 123?? Or Mother May I? How about S.P.U.D.? and flashlight tag? How about Capture the Flag?

We didn't have dinner bells but everyone's mom just called their kids' names from their front porch and you could hear them from anywhere!

I also remember as a kid, I had to put on "play clothes" to go outside and play.

The 70's were the best!!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Wow, I remember being 8 y/o and crying because my mom wanted us IN. I also remember being out for hours at a time, but came home for dinner. Life has changed ...............

Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I think my favorite childhood game/prank was "pull the purse". Anytime my Dad went to the dump...us boys would go just to find old purses. Once home we would run down to the highway, tie fishing line to the purse and toss it onto the road. We'd hide behind a blind (like a duck blind) in wait. Cars always screech to a stop, and as the person runs over to grab the purse you give the string a yank. It scares the begeezus out of them everytime!
This went on for a number of years. On occasion the cops were called by some very embarrassed motorists. But man the look on peoples faces when the purse scooted across the road is priceless!
I still want to get a video camera and try it again! Some good humor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics