Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,904 times

Advertisements

We had 18 kids from my house to the end of the street, and someone was always fighting mad at someone else, so we all picked whose "side" we were on. Of course, the next week all the sides changed, so no one was ever "out" for long. Our parents had the good sense to stay out of it and let us work it out. We had a 2 acre field out back, another neighbor had woods with a pond. We ate tree apples,vine grapes,blackberries,olive-autumn berries,wild onions,and sucked the juice from honeysuckle. Mom left a pitcher of Kool-aid and cups on the front porch all day.We got paid 25 cents a bucket to pick bag-worms off the neighbors tree, then got to burn them in the driveway.At dark, my Dad whistled for us to come home, and when we didn't Mom and the neighbor lady met in the middle of the street to find us. Of course, they started chatting and we got another half-hour of play out of it. We played crack-the-whip with one kid on a bike and everyone else on skates strung together behind. We stood on the propane tank and yelled like Tarzan down into the valley. Saturday and Sunday meant movies on TV-Shirley Temple, Abbott and Costello, Tarzan.Got in trouble for sitting on the road popping tar bubbles in my good shorts.Crashed our red wagon many times barreling down the hill on the street.Got our abrasions sprayed with Bactine and that purple stuff.Swam in circles in the horse tank.Had a mud pie factory next to the stream in the woods.Threw the finished pies at each other.Made necklaces of clover heads. I could go on forever....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 09:51 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I watched Felix the cat and the Rifleman. Suddenly I feel old!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,846 times
Default TV shows

How about " The Planet Of The Apes " TV series? Or Sigmund & the sea monsters? "Land Of The Lost" - Now my kids watch the Land of the lost dvd's.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
How about " The Planet Of The Apes " TV series? Or Sigmund & the sea monsters? "Land Of The Lost" - Now my kids watch the Land of the lost dvd's.
How about H&R Puff 'N Stuff?

Does anyone remember putting baseball cards in the tire spokes of your bike so it would make that cool flipping noise?

Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,751 times
I was born in 1979 so I'm truly a child of the 80s!

I remember Nintendo video games. When iwas a kid i would watch T.G.I.F.

They had Full House, Just The 10 of Us, Perfect Strangers, etc.

I remember watching other shows like Mama's Family, Golden Girls, and Mr Belvidere

I used to walk to the Potomac River. I lived in northern Virginia and it was only a few miles from my house.

I used to ride horses at this farm near Leesburg. I met my first girlfriend there. Her name was Shannon......

I remember I hated middle school so bad.

My mom died in summer of 1990, so that was a bad year for me also.

Didnt really miss her until i was older though.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
"Sea Hunt" and "Sky King" were the order of the day.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 PM

NyMom,

Hey my friend! Yes was that a NY thing? I also did the baseball cards in the spokes.

How about Freeze tag? Or Manhunt, about 12 of us neighborhood kids would play Man Hunt for hours every Friday & saturday during the summers.

OR how about Smear the *****? Ha Ha what a name, some called it " kill the guy with the ball" whoever had the ball was to be chased & tackled. Is Smear the ***** politcally correct? Do i care ---No - ha. I say Enjoy the games forget the names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
How about H&R Puff 'N Stuff?

Does anyone remember putting baseball cards in the tire spokes of your bike so it would make that cool flipping noise?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM

279 posts, read 1,139,203 times
Smile Some favorite food/snacks from Childhood

Food Stix, Aspen apple soda, Gatorade gum, A & W root beer that you actually got your bottle filled at the store, Freshen up gum..

I still crave Mac and Cheese with sliced hot dogs, peanut butter and banana sandwiches or even fried bologna sandwiches.. Oreos and ovalitine is still my comfort food.

Anyone else have favorites?

Sometimes I really miss my childhood friends..

Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Memories

Ah fried "fried bologna sandwiches" now that brought back some good memories, now i feel like making one- ha.

And yep also did the peanut butter & Bannana sandwich many times.

keep the memories alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Food Stix, Aspen apple soda, Gatorade gum, A & W root beer that you actually got your bottle filled at the store, Freshen up gum..

I still crave Mac and Cheese with sliced hot dogs, peanut butter and banana sandwiches or even fried bologna sandwiches.. Oreos and ovalitine is still my comfort food.

Anyone else have favorites?

Sometimes I really miss my childhood friends..

Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default Gi Joes

How about the cool Gi -Joes with the hair? Worth some nice moola now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics