Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,785,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
How about the cool Gi -Joes with the hair? Worth some nice moola now!
About 15 yrears ago, while my husband was collectin garbage (yes, he was a garbageman!) he came across a box of G.I. Joes, a co-worker offered him $500. on the spot for them!

I wolud always try and steal by brothers, Ken was just not my type, G.I. Joe was so much more masculine! Guess thats who I married the laborer and not the lawyer type...but I'll keep him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 07:59 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,709,765 times
Default Great Post

Ha Ha great post, thats a classic. That was one awesome find your husband made. Back in the 70's i found a bunch of toys in someones garbage that i ended up hanging on to, i still have those. And those also have some value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
About 15 yrears ago, while my husband was collectin garbage (yes, he was a garbageman!) he came across a box of G.I. Joes, a co-worker offered him $500. on the spot for them!

I wolud always try and steal by brothers, Ken was just not my type, G.I. Joe was so much more masculine! Guess thats who I married the laborer and not the lawyer type...but I'll keep him!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 PM

262 posts, read 1,234,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
How about the cool Gi -Joes with the hair? Worth some nice moola now!
We had Ken with real hair. It also had interchangeable stick on mustaches and beards! I liked GI Joe but he was too short for Barbie

Old 04-02-2007, 11:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,176,501 times
I grew up with The Waltons, Happy Days, and Little House On The Prairie, American Bandstand, they were the wholesome shows back in the day.
We played kick the can, hide and seek, red rover, and I was the jump rope queen. Those were just some of the things we did when I was younger.
It is to bad life isn't as good as it was back then, I also liked the A&W root beer stand, they used to serve you on roller skates.
The stars seemed to fill the sky at night, now it doesn't seem like you see as many of them. We used to play a lot in the corn cribs, that was fun, then our grandpa would take us out in the field in a wagon he used when getting corn out of the fields, we would have to duck a few times because the corn would still be on the cob and it might not feel to good if we would have gotten hit with one of them.
We also liked going to grandparents farm, they had cows that were so tame, our grandpa would put us kids up on the cows while he was milking them, and then when he was done, we rode the cows out to the pasture, and when we got sick of riding the cows, we would jump off and walk on back up to the house. They were such great memories, I am so glad that I have a few to hang on to.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 AM

Default The classic TV shows!

TV in my childhood had more character to it then these garbage shows they show these days.

The Brady Bunch ( Ok say its Corny, but it was a safe show for kids to enjoy) , Happy days( Awesome show), Laverne & Shirley( Very Funny), Good times- still like that. The Jeffersons, All in the family, One day at a time, threes company, and the list just keeps going on & on.

I felt many of the 1980's shows were good, some very good, but to me there's only a handful from the 90's and I'm not hooked on any shows these days.

I liked the wonder years!

Now I find myself buying the DVD sets of the shows I mentioned above.

Even the 70's made for TV movies were cool.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,785,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
We had Ken with real hair. It also had interchangeable stick on mustaches and beards! I liked GI Joe but he was too short for Barbie
not if they were laying in that cute pink bed...

Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,796,720 times
I think most of you must be older than me? (I'm 40) Cause I don't remember half the stuff you mention... Then again, I grew up in NY & was not one to "follow the leader"... Even now, I detest mainstream ANYTHING - people can mention movies, tv shows, actors - & I'll say "who?/what?" Just have no interest in hollywood & all it's trappings. Unfortunately they throw this stuff into the news, so I've been exposed to this american idol stuff (barf smiley needed)
But anyway - I am wondering about 7 up because we used to play 7 up & it had nothing to do with a ball!!!
The teacher or the "leader": would say "heads down, thumbs up" and everyone in the class would put their head down on the desk with their thumb sticking up on top of their head.
Then the 7 kids who were starting would go around the classroom, each one smacking the thumb of one person. Then we'd lift our heads & have to guess who picked us. If we were right, we would stand & they would sit. If we were wrong, they'd stay. And it went on like this. I don't know how it ended, but I am confused as to what 7 up some of you mentioned with a ball...

Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Another cool memory!

Here's another Childhood memory that I'm sure some could remember. I believe it was in the early 80's when TV played a couple of monster movies from the 70's in 3-d but you needed these special cardboard glasses that my Dad picked up at I think 7-11 or some store like 7-11. The movie I remember was " The Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3-D, now the special effects were pretty cool back then, but I guess it didn't work out so well because I can only remember them doing it one time. The other 3-D movie was also a monster movie, not sure, might have been Frankenstein.

Anybody recall that? I lived in NY at that time.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
not if they were laying in that cute pink bed...
Don't think they didn't try it!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I think most of you must be older than me? (I'm 40) Cause I don't remember half the stuff you mention... Then again, I grew up in NY & was not one to "follow the leader"... Even now, I detest mainstream ANYTHING - people can mention movies, tv shows, actors - & I'll say "who?/what?" Just have no interest in hollywood & all it's trappings. Unfortunately they throw this stuff into the news, so I've been exposed to this american idol stuff (barf smiley needed)
But anyway - I am wondering about 7 up because we used to play 7 up & it had nothing to do with a ball!!!
The teacher or the "leader": would say "heads down, thumbs up" and everyone in the class would put their head down on the desk with their thumb sticking up on top of their head.
Then the 7 kids who were starting would go around the classroom, each one smacking the thumb of one person. Then we'd lift our heads & have to guess who picked us. If we were right, we would stand & they would sit. If we were wrong, they'd stay. And it went on like this. I don't know how it ended, but I am confused as to what 7 up some of you mentioned with a ball...
I played that 7up game too in school. It was fun but kids always cheated by looking at your shoes when they put their heads down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics