Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 AM

262 posts, read 1,233,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Here's another Childhood memory that I'm sure some could remember. I believe it was in the early 80's when TV played a couple of monster movies from the 70's in 3-d but you needed these special cardboard glasses that my Dad picked up at I think 7-11 or some store like 7-11. The movie I remember was " The Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3-D, now the special effects were pretty cool back then, but I guess it didn't work out so well because I can only remember them doing it one time. The other 3-D movie was also a monster movie, not sure, might have been Frankenstein.

Anybody recall that? I lived in NY at that time.
Hey Pos, according to my husband, (a reliable source on monster movies), there were three movies...Creature form the black Lagoon, The Creature Returns and The Creature Walks Among Us. He thinks the third one was the only one in 3D. Not sure about Frankenstein or any of the other classics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,704,056 times
Default 3-d

Hey NyMom,

whats up my friend? Thats very possible, it was quite a while ago. I guess that 3-D thing didnt do so well, because i cant remember them doing anything like that since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Hey Pos, according to my husband, (a reliable source on monster movies), there were three movies...Creature form the black Lagoon, The Creature Returns and The Creature Walks Among Us. He thinks the third one was the only one in 3D. Not sure about Frankenstein or any of the other classics.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 AM

279 posts, read 1,140,012 times
Land of the Lost, The Monkeys, HR Puff N Stuff, School House Rock, Fat Albert, 3:00pm After School Specials, Endless Love, Judy Blume, Fluff n Nutter Sandwiches, Lavern and Shirley, Bowzer, Tony Orlando and Dawn...
eeeee gads- stoop ball, Sunday Gravey, Roller Skating, Operation, Lite Brites

Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 AM

279 posts, read 1,140,012 times
I fergot---LOL.... Elvira Misstress of the Dark and her B-movies on the weekend... as well as the 3-Stooges. My husband had me add these.... LOL

Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,370,126 times
I used to love falling asleep in the long grass in my back garden when the weather got warmer. Also had a blast rolling down the big hill in the local park getting covered in dirt. Running down the street and jumping in puddles after it rained ... oh mud pies too! Good memories.

Do you remember the Banana Splits? I always wanted to drive their car. Tra la la, la la la la

Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 15,743 times
Well, how about seeing your first B&W TV and watching Buffalo Bob, Howdy Doodey, Lone Ranger. This was a treat after having a static radio hearing the Shadow, Amos and Andy and others. Toys for Christmas like a slinky, hola-hoop, Red Rider BB gun. Helping your Mother in the kitchen, my job was to mash the potatoes...not out of a box, not with a mixer, but with a "manual" contraption. Getting the bottled milk off the back porch before it froze and the cream popped the paper top. Then when we had to go to the farm down the road and get "real" milk right from the cow. A taste you have to learn to love, but when you went back to store bought milk....yuck, tasted like white water. New tires for the car, don't think so! They called them re-caps! Cheap too. White walls, don't think so again, they called them porta-walls. Looked good till you got a chip in one. Every kid had a "fort", made out of whatever you could find, roof always leaked, had to have a password! Girls allowed in...NOT! Hair cuts were always short, pants were always flood waters, shirt sleeves were always to short, ties were a bit wider than a piece of rope and had to have a tie "clasp" and it was always wider than the tie....never could figure that out. Never heard of an area code, our phone was on a party line and you had to wait to see how many rings it made to know if it was for you. A phone number with all digits, no, our exchange was Swinburne or something spelled like that and our phone # was SW9 xxxx. Tatoos, that was for the tatooed man in the side show. The girls wore so many layers of whatever they were called under the skirt you couldn't tell where the real person was. Outdoor pool, our was a #9 washtub, bathed the dog in there too. Ever look a photos of kids back then, they all were either very thin or just under weight and we ate good. Good ole days, some might think so, but for me I like all my creature comforts. Memories are "GREAT" don't you agree!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,557,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I think my favorite childhood game/prank was "pull the purse". Anytime my Dad went to the dump...us boys would go just to find old purses. Once home we would run down to the highway, tie fishing line to the purse and toss it onto the road. We'd hide behind a blind (like a duck blind) in wait. Cars always screech to a stop, and as the person runs over to grab the purse you give the string a yank. It scares the begeezus out of them everytime!
This went on for a number of years. On occasion the cops were called by some very embarrassed motorists. But man the look on peoples faces when the purse scooted across the road is priceless!
I still want to get a video camera and try it again! Some good humor!

Some kids tried that with my Dad once and he slowed down, then carefully stopped with the back tire right on the string. He casually got out, harvested the purse and drove away, waving.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM

22,891 posts, read 6,452,771 times
A kid of the 50's in Ohio I remember Fizzies, a tablet you added to water to make a fizzy drink.
Winky Dink, a TV show where you put a plastic cover on the tv screen and drew with their special crayons.
Cereal boxes with masks on the back, it was like getting a free toy.
Milton Beryl, Pinky Lee, Capt. Kangaroo, Sid Caesar, Howdy Doody
Paper dolls, or cut outs, were cheap and easy to play with.
Candy was usually for Easter, Halloween, Christmas, Birthday Parties.
Soda, or pop, was for picnics or special occasions.
Kids could play in streets, on sidewalks, in homes and yards. No "playdate" required.
Living recklessly, no seat belts, no helmets, no shin guards, we didn't know better then.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,716,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
A kid of the 50's in Ohio I remember Fizzies, a tablet you added to water to make a fizzy drink.
Winky Dink, a TV show where you put a plastic cover on the tv screen and drew with their special crayons.
Cereal boxes with masks on the back, it was like getting a free toy.
Milton Beryl, Pinky Lee, Capt. Kangaroo, Sid Caesar, Howdy Doody
Paper dolls, or cut outs, were cheap and easy to play with.
Candy was usually for Easter, Halloween, Christmas, Birthday Parties.
Soda, or pop, was for picnics or special occasions.
Kids could play in streets, on sidewalks, in homes and yards. No "playdate" required.
Living recklessly, no seat belts, no helmets, no shin guards, we didn't know better then.
Those were the good old days. Do you remember Sally Starr, Soupy Sales and Wonderama?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:26 PM

22,891 posts, read 6,452,771 times
I remember Soupy Sales, not the other 2.
I had so many bruises on my legs from learning to skate that today I would have looked like an abused child, but I still wanted to learn anyway.
Dinah Shore, Perry Como, cartoons like Popeye.
Double bubble gum, wax lips, real cooked chocolate pudding.
Jumping in fall leaves, sledding in winter.
Sleeping in the top bunk bed,
Wondering what my life would be like as a grownup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics