Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 07:03 PM

7,021 posts, read 5,027,243 times

Advertisements

I'm getting an early start posting because I am afraid I might otherwise forget.

Did you have a teenage BF/GF that you still think fondly of today? Do you know anything about their life currently?

What would you say is your biggest vice?

Do you prefer overhead lighting or lamps?

It's strawberry season here. I love fresh from the field strawberries. I don't care for them as jam. What is your favorite berry? Do you like it as jam?

Would you rather own a parrot or a chicken?

What do you think of your neighbors?

You are magically being given the time and money to write a book. You can live anywhere for up to two years while you write. Where will you live and what genre of book will you write?

I hear they taste like shrimp. If someone prepares them in garlic and butter will you eat one?

Would you rather learn to fly a helicopter or a plane or a hang glider?

Do you prefer shoes that slip on or lace up? What, if any, is your favorite style and brand?

What are the first things that come to mind when you think of Iowa?

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2024, 07:42 PM

11,428 posts, read 9,359,824 times
Did you have a teenage BF/GF that you still think fondly of today? - Yes. Sad to say she was the best I ever had.

Do you know anything about their life currently? - Nope.

Do you prefer overhead lighting or lamps? - Doesn't matter.

It's strawberry season here. I love fresh from the field strawberries. I don't care for them as jam. What is your favorite berry? Do you like it as jam? - I prefer whole cherry and blueberry fruit spread. But strawberry is okay.

I've been buying fruit bowls lately. I like a mix of kiwi, strawberries, and pineapple.

Would you rather own a parrot or a chicken? - No thanks.

What do you think of your neighbors? - No comment. It could be worse...

You are magically being given the time and money to write a book. You can live anywhere for up to two years while you write. Where will you live and what genre of book will you write? - Who knows if I have 2 years. People around my age keep dying...

No interest in writing a book anyway.

I hear they taste like shrimp. If someone prepares them in garlic and butter will you eat one? - Nope.

Would you rather learn to fly a helicopter or a plane or a hang glider? - Pass.

Do you prefer shoes that slip on or lace up? What, if any, is your favorite style and brand? - I have extra wide feet, therefore a small selection to choose from. SAS dress casual is what I buy the most. They make shoes for me that fit.

New Balance for athletic shoes. They make a 4E width!

What are the first things that come to mind when you think of Iowa? - My favorite athlete, basketball superstar Caitlin Clark went to school there and I enjoyed watching her play several times (but never live).

Too conservative of a state for me.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday. - You as well. Thanks for the questions!

Old 06-08-2024, 08:49 PM

44,432 posts, read 20,198,149 times
I'm getting an early start posting because I am afraid I might otherwise forget.

Did you have a teenage BF/GF that you still think fondly of today? Do you know anything about their life currently? During my college years I dated a guy whom I still think of fondly from time to time. The last time I looked for info on him, I found he was married with two kids and lived about 5 hours' drive from me. I never contacted him, of course. I was happy to see that he had a family.

What would you say is your biggest vice? Disorganization at home.

Do you prefer overhead lighting or lamps? Lamps.

It's strawberry season here. I love fresh from the field strawberries. I don't care for them as jam. What is your favorite berry? Blueberries. Do you like it as jam? Nopey. I like blueberries in pie or whole ones mixed into cereal or yogurt, or just eaten plain as a snack.

Would you rather own a parrot or a chicken? Parrot.

What do you think of your neighbors? I only know my two adjacent neighbors and those in a house catty-corner from mine. All are lovely people whom I could call on if I ever need help.

You are magically being given the time and money to write a book. You can live anywhere for up to two years while you write. Where will you live and what genre of book will you write? A cabin in a forest, near a river or lake. I'd write something about my nature observations.

I hear they taste like shrimp. If someone prepares them in garlic and butter will you eat one? I' not sure what we're talking about here. What tastes like shrimp?

Would you rather learn to fly a helicopter or a plane or a hang glider? Helicopter.

Do you prefer shoes that slip on or lace up? Lace up for long walks, hikes and working out at the gym. Slip on for other purposes. What, if any, is your favorite style and brand? After I had food surgeries almost 9 years ago, I've worn almost exclusively Vionic brand shoes, recommended by my surgeon. Even my slippers and flip flops are Vionics, which have built-in orthotics. For gym shoes, though, I prefer Nikes, which fit me very well and provide the support I need.

What are the first things that come to mind when you think of Iowa? My college buddy who lives in Belmond, IA. Also, corn, soybeans and livestock.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday.Thanks for the questions!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-08-2024 at 09:07 PM..

Old 06-08-2024, 09:47 PM

37,834 posts, read 41,181,592 times

Did you have a teenage BF/GF that you still think fondly of today? Do you know anything about their life currently?
I did and he was nice but I don't think about him now or wonder what became of him. If you count 18 and 19, I dated a lot. I often think of someone who really liked me but I didn't treat well and wish I could just say I was sorry. I think I may have mentioned this recently but I did research what happened to a guy I used to like. It's easier to research guys because they didn't change their last name if they got married. I found an obituary for his older sister that mentioned he died before she did.

Do you prefer overhead lighting or lamps? I prefer what ever gives me the most light.

It's strawberry season here. I love fresh from the field strawberries. I don't care for them as jam. What is your favorite berry? Do you like it as jam? I do not like jam. My favorite berry is raspberry. I like it in things more than any other berry.

Would you rather own a parrot or a chicken? Chicken. They have personality and are funny.

What do you think of your neighbors? No opinion. I don't know them.

You are magically being given the time and money to write a book. You can live anywhere for up to two years while you write. Where will you live and what genre of book will you write? Nonfiction and how to research retirement relocation. It won't take me more than a year.

I hear they taste like shrimp. If someone prepares them in garlic and butter will you eat one? What tastes like shrimp? What is the "they" to which you refer? I don't eat anything that comes out of the water.

Would you rather learn to fly a helicopter or a plane or a hang glider? I don't fly anymore so none of them.

Do you prefer shoes that slip on or lace up? What, if any, is your favorite style and brand? What I like and what I have to wear are miles apart but I have a question for women who wear very high heels: How do you walk on a lawn and not trip because your heel sinks part way in?

What are the first things that come to mind when you think of Iowa? corn, first state to vote in the Republican primaries (caucuses) so a lot of candidates campaign there, their state fair, pork chops on a stick, tractors, farms, good people, the famous painting American Gothic by Grant Wood, low crime, Loess Hills, ethanol, Field of Dreams. I was thinking of taking a road trip there to take farm photos so did some research on the state.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday. Thank you, you too.

Old 06-08-2024, 10:37 PM

7,021 posts, read 5,027,243 times
Oops! I hear cicadas taste like shrimp. I screwed up and left that out. That's what I meant about trying if prepared in butter and garlic.

Old 06-08-2024, 11:37 PM

21,677 posts, read 8,822,053 times
Yes, my high school boyfriend from Texas, Bill O'Hare. He was my first date and my first kiss. He was a shy, devout Southern Baptist and I was green as grass, so our romance was a chaste one, nothing more than hand-holding or hugs. He was epileptic and I couldn't drive, so his parents took us everywhere. It took him nearly six months to get up the courage to kiss me. Today's teenagers would laugh.

We kept in touch after he moved back to his home state of Texas, and though we wouldn't have been a good match, we never stopped caring about each other. He was briefly engaged but never married, and he confessed to me when we were in our 60s that he was still a virgin. I lost touch with him a few years ago when he stopped responding to my letters and cards. I suspect he has died, but I haven't been able to find anything online.

It's not exactly a vice, but shyness has been my biggest challenge in life. I guess my worst vice is procrastination.
Lamps, but I've heard that a mixture of lighting sources (uplights, downlights, lamps) usually looks best.
It's strawberry season here. I love fresh from the field strawberries. I don't care for them as jam. What is your favorite berry? Do you like it as jam?
I like the flavor of raspberries best, but I don't like eating them raw because of the seeds. I like strawberries but rarely use strawberry jam or any other type of jam. Mr. Bay, on the other hand, likes to keep several different types of jam on hand. His mother made wonderful prune and walnut jam.
The eggs would be nice, but I'd rather have a small parrot such as a budgie (parakeet). They're colorful, funny and easy to care for. I've had four.
The uphill neighbor is a bachelor in his 50s who works in a high-tech field and travels frequently. He's very nice, and we get along well. When he's out of town, which is a lot - I keep packages for him so they don't get stolen from his porch.

The downhill neighbors are a bit strange, though we have a cordial relationship. They're 80-ish and retired. The husband is weirdly quiet and I haven't seen him leave the house in ages. The wife is neurotic, shrewish and and has a screechy parrot voice. I dread seeing her because she talks and talks and talks and you can't get away from her. It's exhausting.
You are magically being given the time and money to write a book. You can live anywhere for up to two years while you write. Where will you live and what genre of book will you write?
Over lunch with friends I once told a story from my not-very-normal childhood. One of my friends said, "You should write a book." So I would. I'd gather up all my old diaries and try to construct a coherent narrative. I don't know if anyone would read it, but I'd like to write it. I'll stay where I am, though.
I hear they taste like shrimp. If someone prepares them in garlic and butter will you eat one?
That all depends on what "they" are. If you're talking about escargot, no thanks. [Edit: I just saw your correction. Cicadas? Well, maybe if I'm starving and there's nothing else to eat.]

None of the above. I'm not a good candidate. A former coworker who was also a licensed flight instructor wanted me to take lessons from him, but I declined. I'm afraid of heights, I'm prone to vertigo, my depth perception is subpar, I'm hard of hearing and and I get left and right mixed up all the time. And one of my favorite TV shows is "Air Disasters."

Do you prefer shoes that slip on or lace up? What, if any, is your favorite style and brand?
Slip-ons. I like simple, classic styles. No bows, no straps, no fringe, no rhinestones, no pointy toes. Flats or low heels only; no stilettos. My favorite brands are SAS (flats, dress shoes), Merrell (Jungle Mocs), Finn Comfort (slides), and New Balance (athletic shoes).
My mother and grandfather were born there. My grandmother's family moved to Iowa when she was a child in the 1890s to escape the threat of Indian raids in Wisconsin.

I also think of "The Music Man."

Thank you for the questions, E-Twist!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 06-09-2024 at 01:00 AM..

Old 06-09-2024, 12:32 AM

14,947 posts, read 8,258,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

Nope.
Not that I wanted to contact them or anything, but just out of sheer curiosity to see what there lives were now, I googled three guys that I dated the most, before I got married and they all had died...afraid to google anybody else now.
A tie between disorganization and procrastination.
Both
Favorite berry would be strawberry...I love them when they are fresh and in season here.
Not a fan of jam but preserves are yummy....still just fresh fruit as is, is my favorite.

I like strawberry shortcake too!

A remote cabin by a lake or in the mountains...or on a deserted island.
Quote:
Oops! I hear cicadas taste like shrimp. I screwed up and left that out. That's what I meant about trying if prepared in butter and garlic.
Oh, heck no way!!!!!
Pass
Slip ons - right now I have a couple pair of sketcher slip ons.
I think they were called "Go walk" or something like that.

I have a friend on facebook and she was
saying that everyone in Iowa eats cinnamon rolls with their chili....which seems kinda strange to me. (I mean I like both, but never thought of both of them together would actually be a thing...especially for a whole state.)

And you also.
Thanks for the questions!

Old 06-09-2024, 02:46 AM

1,423 posts, read 648,726 times

### &

### Sweets

### Both

### Blackberries & Yes

### Chicken

### We keep to ourselves, they’re just people next door.

### Province of Asturias, Spain and write about wanderlust

### Sure I would eat cicadas good source of protein, eaten saltamontes and escamoles in MX, would sub butter with EVOO.

### None

### Slip on. Fave are On-Cloud 5 Waterproof sneakers, excellently absorbs shock and great for travel.

###

### U2 THX for the Q’s, ET

Old 06-09-2024, 02:58 AM

44,723 posts, read 61,957,622 times
Did you have a teenage BF/GF that you still think fondly of today? Do you know anything about their life currently? She passed away many years ago.

What would you say is your biggest vice? Peanuts & popcorn & crackerjacks.

Do you prefer overhead lighting or lamps? Depends on the room. I have both type.

It's strawberry season here. I love fresh from the field strawberries. I don't care for them as jam. What is your favorite berry? Do you like it as jam? I love strawberries. I have them on my cereal daily. Strawberry jelly is okay but I prefer orange marmalade.

Would you rather own a parrot or a chicken? Neither, have owned them before, nuisances.

What do you think of your neighbors? 9 of them around us have passed away in the past 10 years and they were very nice and friendly. New ones moving in leave much to be desired.

You are magically being given the time and money to write a book. You can live anywhere for up to two years while you write. Where will you live and what genre of book will you write? In 2 years I may not be here so I'll pass.

I hear they taste like shrimp. If someone prepares them in garlic and butter will you eat one? Lordy no!!

Would you rather learn to fly a helicopter or a plane or a hang glider? Helicopter. Have flown in several choppers in the past, in the Army and touristing.

Do you prefer shoes that slip on or lace up? What, if any, is your favorite style and brand? I have Reeboks right now but may get some slip ons as it's a struggle to bend over and lace up shoes today. Thinking of Sketchers.

What are the first things that come to mind when you think of Iowa? My 1800's immigrant family settled in Iowa. I have over 550 relatives that live in various parts of the state, most are farmers.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday. u-2

Old 06-09-2024, 03:55 AM

30,801 posts, read 16,426,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

no

lamps

I like most of them but raspberry is my favorite. Not into jams much. A lot of sugar I shouldn't have

chicken. Never saw a recipe for parrots.

not much

England and write about the Victoria and Albert museum exhibits

referring to cicadas-I'd try one but there'd better be a whole lot of garlic

none. I My preference would be to stay on the ground.

gotta be tie because of my inserts. New Balance 847

Radar O'Reilly from MASH

thanks, E-Twist. you too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics