Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 06:50 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That’s odd. I’ve driven both standard and automatics. The left pedal was the clutch. The right pedal was the brake and/or accelerator so that you never used both at the same time. Oldest vehicle was a classic ‘47.
maybe they were told to use the clutch as a brake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,146,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I love maps, I could examine them for different things or reasons for quite a while. Very recently I have found out about some political anomalies played out on maps.

Not all of the continental US lies below Canada & the 49th parallel. Besides a few tiny uninhabited islands in the "land of lakes" border area there is a small community that is part of Minnesota, USA north of the assumed official US/Canada border & has no land connection to the rest of the USA: Angle Township. It is north of the 49th Parallel due to a cartograper's error in drawing up the original map for the agreement managed by Ben Franklin. It is the northernmost point of the continental US & has less than 200 inhabitants. I have no idea about how they deal with Customs/Immigration when going shopping or to work, etc...

Perhaps in a bit of fair play there is a tiny bit of actual Canada below the 49th & fully attached to the US just across from Vancouver Island.

There is also an outpost of France up near Labrador in Canada. Not French Canadian, nor a possession or colony but the last remnant of "New France" in the New World. It's actual French territory that votes in French elections & the inhabitants are French citizens flying that flag: St. Pierre & Miquelon.

The last geographical oddity I learned this week: What American state is closest to Africa?

Maine
the NW angle ice road

https://www.startribune.com/ice-road...gle/600025472/

Old 03-29-2021, 12:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Right?
I have a chromebook and lots of functions are just different enough to not be readily known. I did learn screen shot and am thrilled with that.
(and, posting this in case anyone knows----I would love to be able to do the google image search but from the limited searching I have done, I don't know that it's doable on a chromebook. )
Do a regular search, then above the listed results click on Images.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:08 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,424,762 times
Thanks but I mean that if I have the image as a screenshot and want to find out what it is. (for shopping as an example...if I find a rug I would love to be able to see who else sells it and for how much$. Frequently one seller will call it Anna Mae and another one might call it Blueberry for example ).

Old 03-30-2021, 01:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Thanks but I mean that if I have the image as a screenshot and want to find out what it is. (for shopping as an example...if I find a rug I would love to be able to see who else sells it and for how much$. Frequently one seller will call it Anna Mae and another one might call it Blueberry for example ).
Google how to do a reverse image search.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:59 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,707 times
This wasn't that recent but it was a good lesson to learn.

I took the wire cage off of a small bottle of champagne and left it on the kitchen table. I went to get something in the sink and while my back was turned, I heard the cork pop and hit the ceiling. I was the only one home. I thought the cork had to be pried out with my hands. Now I know - never underestimate the danger of a champagne bottle.

Last edited by 2 Scoops; 03-30-2021 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2021, 02:04 PM

475 posts, read 407,043 times
Learned that the most watched cable channels, minus news and sports channels, can be had for $20 per month with Philo streaming.

Also learned that many other cable channels can be found for free via internet using USTVGO.tv

Old 03-31-2021, 07:32 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
This wasn't that recent but it was a good lesson to learn.

I took the wire cage off of a small bottle of champagne and left it on the kitchen table. I went to get something in the sink and while my back was turned, I heard the cork pop and hit the ceiling. I was the only one home. I thought the cork had to be pried out with my hands. Now I know - never underestimate the danger of a champagne bottle.
So you were planning to drink the whole bottle of champagne by yourself, haha? Just kidding - Good on you. I miss the days when I could plan on having some treat all to myself.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:42 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
i have had a Chromebook for years, will not subject myself to all the problems of regular computers. But I just accidentally found out if you have the cursor at the bottom and move up you access all kinds of things including google docs which i use sometimes.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:28 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I finally learned how to take a snapshot of a webpage on my Ipad. I kind of knew I could do it, but I only learned recently. Being able to do this comes in handy!
Good for you! I need to learn that. I tried to take pictures of a webpage with my phone, lol.

A random lawyer I was on the phone with, talked me through creating a PDF file out of an email or other document---I had always asked someone else to do it. Why didn't THEY tell me this? LOL. It's just a drop-down menu when you are ready to print. Who knew. (PC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics