Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 AM

9,833 posts, read 14,419,760 times

Advertisements

Holy cow , time's a-flyin'! I can hardly believe it's nearly the end of September. This month has gone by extra quickly for me, since I returned to work the week before last. Thankfully, it's just for a short stint and I'll be finishing up in a couple of days. I'm exhausted! Before I fall asleep, I'd better put my thinking cap on and come up with
Pam, You're too young to be tired!

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? Yes, 160 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat, barley (I helped my husband with a tractor and planter).....along with over-seeding our lawns (I'll be doing that again in a couple of weeks). A few years ago I bought flower seeds, 10 packs for a $1 at the Dollar Store. Every year, I enjoy daisies, marigolds, and other annuals that keep coming back.

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? No

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! I tried banana peels which worked, but that's too bothersome. So, I treat my plants with tender, loving care, and fertilizer, plus I water my plants in early morning.

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? No

BONUS QUESTIONS

Name three things in your life that you are thankful for.
1) I started my own at-home business 28 years ago on April Fools Day, and turned it into a successful, lucrative entity.
2) At 80 years old, I am still healthy, sharp, politically active, an independent thinker, and do physical work such as crawling under houses, and inspecting attics. 12 hour days are typical.
3) I'm so thankful I left the rat race of working for someone else when I was in my early 40's. And, I helped my children follow that same path by training them and helping them start their own businesses.

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area? We've had beautiful weather the last few days, cool nights, warm days.

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)?
No

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together. Many times since we were farmers.

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party?
Yes and Yes

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid. No hobbies. As a kid, I worked in my parents' store.

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed. Nothing comes to mind. Thanks, Pam

Last edited by rdlr; 09-29-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 07:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,066 posts, read 82,368,103 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? Most every year since the 1960s.

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? Many times every year.

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! I use this, expensive but well worth it:

https://hendrikusorganics.com/produc...nobloom-5-2-4/

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? Yes

BONUS QUESTIONS

Name three things in your life that you are thankful for. My wife of 46 years, 3 kids, 2 grandkids.

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area? Several days of rain, then sunny days in the 70s and cool nights in the high 40s.

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)? No, we have very little light pollution here and lots of starts in the sky.

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together. Several times on the way to work in the dark I have seen raccoons playing, and often see squirrels or rabbits chasing around in our yard.

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party? I was the victim of a surprise 40th birthday party back in 1992.

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid. Fishing was about the only one.

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed. Star, Willow, Meadow, Saffron, Arlo, Sparrow, Skye, Raven.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:54 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Holy cow , time's a-flyin'! I can hardly believe it's nearly the end of September. This month has gone by extra quickly for me, since I returned to work the week before last. Thankfully, it's just for a short stint and I'll be finishing up in a couple of days. I'm exhausted! Before I fall asleep, I'd better put my thinking cap on and come up with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? Yes I have planted flower and vegetable seeds and from a helicopter seed we have now a gorgeous Maple tree growing

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? Yes I just did recently my Peace Lilies

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! I talk and play music for them

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? Yes I always pick up in autumn colorful Maple leaves, dry them and make gift cards

BONUS QUESTIONS

Name three things in your life that you are thankful for. Especially this year my continued good health, my family I can see and talk to via facetime, having a roof over my head and never worry about getting hungry

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area? It has been hot, humid, rainy, cold and very windy

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)? I always can see the stars out in the country

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together. Just this morning a set of black squirrels were chasing each other on top of the fence, through my garden and up in the Maple tree, eventually one literally sliding down a branch. It was hilarious!

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party? Yes to both

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid. I attended an alpine yodel choir, took alpine ski classes, learned horseback riding and learned to play the zither

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed. Nothing unusual

That's it for today's installment, friends. Now go forth, have a superb Tuesday, and be sure to commit an act of kindness before it's over.

THANK YOU Pammy!

Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,931,547 times
Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? === I have.

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? === Yes.

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! === I add a planting mix when I plant outdoor plants.

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? === I have.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Name three things in your life that you are thankful for. === Family, friends, health.

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area? === Thankfully it's a bit cooler.

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)? === It's pretty dark -- I can see the stars.

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together. === Lambs in our field in New Zealand. Such joy!

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party? === Just a couple of work ones -- was the recipient and the attendee.

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid. === Kite-making plus all of the usual kid stuff.

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed. == Amster Reedy; Winnie Pooh.

Thanks Pam!

Old 09-29-2020, 08:24 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,705,520 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? Yup

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? Yup

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! Not really. I used the egg shells and coffee grounds to keep my fishing worms alive in their container

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? Yup

BONUS QUESTIONS

Name three things in your life that you are thankful for. My health, my wife, my kids and grandkids

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area? Starting to turn cool. 54 here this morning

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)? Nope

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together. Was fishing at the lake and saw some deer playing in the water. Also had to stop the car one night for three little foxes (aren't they called kits?) playing in the middle of the road

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party? Been invited to a couple

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid. Tried making candles but my mother said it got too messy in the kitchen

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed.
Zaiden Izaiah, Zayne, Zenley. These are our great grand youngsters

Old 09-29-2020, 11:01 AM

364 posts, read 46,895 times
Greetings Pam

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? Yes. The latest is planting a large swathe of mixed wildflower seeds.

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? A number of times.

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! Nothing out of the ordinary- used coffee grounds.

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? I was having a close look at some leaves from our walnut tree yesterday.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Living where we do in a tiny village in SW France.
Managing to stay reasonably healthy
Having had our daughter working near us earlier in the year and visiting us.

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area?

Turning autumnal with cooler nights, but still nice and warm in the afternoons.

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)? Not here on the edge of the village deep in the countryside.

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together.

As I type there are four magpies squabbling at the bottom of the garden. All within the garden we have seen red squirrels, hares, deer, rabbits and others playing.

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party?

We arranged for a late surprise 21st birthday party for Miss J, our daughter. She had been on her university course in Paris when it was her actual 21st, so we arranged this around Christmas that year. We had friends of hers from our time living in the US as well as in the UK and managed to keep it a total surprise!

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid.

Table tennis, chess, reading (lots!), walking my dog.

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed.

A car salesman for Ford in Houston, TX, with the amazing name of Flamingo Stringfellow! I can't top that one!

That's it for today's installment, friends. Now go forth, have a superb Tuesday, and be sure to commit an act of kindness before it's over.

Thanks Pam!

Old 09-29-2020, 11:06 AM

24,696 posts, read 26,281,122 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors?
I have.

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant?
No, only outside.

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share!
Outside it's just potting soil and Miracle Grow.

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it?
Don't recall doing that.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Wife of 61 years, kids, home.

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area?
Kinda crazy, warm to hot days, warm to cool nights.

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)?
Darker would be better if there was no onsite evening haze.

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together.
Many hummers doing their territorial fighting over feeders. mocking birds harassing blackbirds, a herd of antelopes running parallel to a road keeping up with cars.

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I have attended a couple of surprise parties.

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid.
Reading, biking and exploring.

The company had a book keeper named Cash Dollar, a dentist in town named Dr Panic

Thanx Pam, just a little longer and you can sleep in again.

. ← I sed it.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:17 PM

44,477 posts, read 20,273,814 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever planted seeds outdoors? Yes; many times. When I was growing up, my mom encouraged my siblings and me to plant flower or vegetable seeds in a designated portion of our backyard. It was fun watching our stuff grow.

Have you ever re-potted an indoor plant? Yes; many times. However, I sometimes put it off because it's such a messy project when done indoors. I have a couple of houseplants that I'm determined to re-pot before the end of this week. I've got the pots and soil out. So far, so good! Ha.

Do you have any special tricks you do to make plants grow better, such as adding eggshells or coffee grounds to the soil? Please share! I put crushed eggshells in the soil. I keep forgetting to put coffee grounds out there.

As an adult, have you ever picked up a pretty leaf from the ground just to admire it? I do this often. I love to look at leaves up close. Occasionally, I'll tuck a pretty leaf into a snail-mail letter to a friend before I mail it off.

BONUS QUESTIONS

1. That I and my loved ones are well.
  2. Nature: animals and plants (most of them, anyway) make me happy.
  3. Music. What a dull world this would be without music!

Over the past week, what has the weather been like in your area? Gorgeous! After lots of crummy weather in the spring and summer, last week the weather was so beautiful: very chilly at night; milder in the daytime with plenty of sunshine and light breezes. As good as it gets!

Do you feel there's too much light pollution in your area (do you wish it were darker at night)? Definitely in my neighborhood. Between the streetlights, security lights from a nearbny factory, and neighbors who leave on porch lights and security lights 24/7 there's too darned much light at night!

Today as I drove home from work on a country road, I enjoyed a free show: several young deer frolicking in a field. They were prancing and jumping about, chasing each other in circles. What a thrill it was to see! Tell us of a time when you saw two or more wild animals playing together. Most days, I see squirrels playing in my backyard. They appear to be having so much fun when they chase each other on the ground, up and down tree trunks and from branch to branch.

EXTRA CREDIT RANDOM Q'S

I'm going to a birthday party for my boss on Thursday evening. Have you ever attended a surprise birthday party, or have you ever been the recipient (or should I say victim?) of a surprise party? I've attended several surprise parties over the years. I was the guest of honor at one when I turned 21.

Share with us one or more hobbies you engaged in when you were a kid. I was a nerd and I loved stamp collecting and painting plastic birds that came in kits like model airplanes and cars.

Of people you've met, tell us a couple of the most unusual names you've come across. Provide phonetic spelling if needed. I've met some doozies over the years, mostly through work. We had a client named "President Washington." I thought that was a hoot! I had a client once who, when I first asked her name, she said [phonetically] "Fuh-MAH-lee." I asked her to spell it and it was spelled "Female." She said, "Before you ask . . . I was the 7th child and when I was born my mom was tired of naming babies and just went with the 'name' on my hospital bracelet." Equally weird was a woman I met whose name was ...... get ready for it ...... Placenta. I kid you not. Yuck!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics