Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the word Yankee offend you?
Yes 28 20.74%
No 86 63.70%
I'm indifferent to it 21 15.56%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,491,831 times

Advertisements

That's interesting,it's more difficult for an American to get into Canada or Mexico than it is for either of them to get into the u.s.

When I did the initial application,there was a 'points' test with questions like are you a professional and do you know anyone living in Canada. There's a minimum of points to pass and I think I missed by a point or 2.

Of course if I had unlimited funds where I didn't have to work there I suppose I could get in somehow.But I think they want to keep their economy strong and not have all kinds of people out of work,that's probably why one has to have 'business' being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,853,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's interesting,it's more difficult for an American to get into Canada or Mexico than it is for either of them to get into the u.s.

When I did the initial application,there was a 'points' test with questions like are you a professional and do you know anyone living in Canada. There's a minimum of points to pass and I think I missed by a point or 2.

Of course if I had unlimited funds where I didn't have to work there I suppose I could get in somehow.But I think they want to keep their economy strong and not have all kinds of people out of work,that's probably why one has to have 'business' being there.
NAFTA has nothing to do with immigration. (as in permanent residency) It's only an easy and temporary work permit.

Strange... I met a guy from India who was an engineer and came to Canada, decided to stay and look for work. I asked him if he had a job waiting for him before he moved and he said "no." He just came over and was able to stay. (according to him)

Why do you want to move to Canada, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,491,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I met a guy from India who was an engineer and came to Canada, decided to stay and look for work. I asked him if he had a job waiting for him before he moved and he said "no." He just came over and was able to stay. (according to him)

Why do you want to move to Canada, if you don't mind me asking?
I think most anyone can get like a 6 month visa for Canada,but I think as long as you can get things in order by then you may have the advantage to get citizenship.

The reason I have the interest in Canada is probably no surprise but the last u.s. presidential election decided it for me. I predicted that if we allowed another term for this guy then things Will definitely change in the u.s. and not for the better. I just don't feel like being a target anymore as an american. Besides,after researching Canada it does seem that things just make more sense there and seem to run smoother.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
The reason I have the interest in Canada is probably no surprise but the last u.s. presidential election decided it for me. I predicted that if we allowed another term for this guy then things Will definitely change in the u.s. and not for the better. I just don't feel like being a target anymore as an american. Besides,after researching Canada it does seem that things just make more sense there and seem to run smoother.
Ah, so now I understand why "dull" isn't a bad thing.

Ya, Toronto is probably the highest terrorist target area in Canada. We had 17 arrests with terrorist conspirancies last summer, about a 10 minute drive from me.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:02 AM

185 posts, read 313,441 times
In Europe, sometimes the term Yankee is used for all the people from USA. The Civil War era meaning is only used when you're talking about the Civil War.

Abroad, some people use this wrong term and I think that it's related with the politics and wars in the World. In that case, I think it sounds offensive.

In the other hand, we can't find a right term for your nacionality. Americans? We can use it, but... what happens with Canada and the other americans? In our opinion, America isn't a country, but the Continent. So, which is the best term?

Old 12-22-2006, 06:10 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,493,308 times
Nope...being called yankee, hillbilly, white trash, white bread, honky, gringo,cracker doesn't offend me....be prepared to get back what you dished though!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemartin View Post
The Civil War era meaning is only used when you're talking about the Civil War.
Well, I think that well before the Civil War people in the north would have been described as Yankees, at least by some southern folk.

It wouldn't make sense that overnight after firing on Ft. Sumter residents of northern states became Yankees, or even a few decades earlier did they became Yankees when many northern abolitionists started trying to stick there nose into the business of state governments.

I'm thinking it's likely that it was a common word before, yet like a lot of other words from the 18th and 19th century, perhaps coincidentally it has become archaic in many parts of the U.S.

"Yankee Doodle" probaby wasn't written to by a southerner attempting to sound derogatory towards a fictional northern fellow.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:32 AM

185 posts, read 313,441 times
Yes, Cold.

In Wikipedia:

Origins of word in English

The origins of the term are still uncertain. It was used in a different sense in England by 1683. In 1758 British General James Wolfe referred to the New England soldiers under his command as Yankees: "I can afford you two companies of Yankees." The term as used by the British was thick with contempt, as shown by the cartoon from 1775 ridiculing Yankee soldiers.[5] The "Yankee and Pennamite" war was a series of clashes over land titles in Pennsylvania, 1769ff, in which "Yankee" meant the Connecticut claimants.

The earliest published statement of the word's origin came in 1789 from Thomas Aunbrey, a British officer, who served under General John Burgoyne during the War of Independence. In his travel journals, he claims the term Yankee is derived from the Cherokee eankke meaning slave or coward. Aunbrey claims the term was applied by Virginians to the inhabitiants of New England for not assisting them in a war with the Cherokee.[6] Johnathan Hastings of Cambridge, Massachusetts was attributed around 1713 to regularly using the word as a superlative, generally in the sense of excellent.[7]

The most commonly held theory on the word's origin is that it initially evolved from the Northestern Native American appropriation corruption of the word English.[8] This theory differs from others that suggest the word is itself adapted from a Native American word, a theory which has been rejected by some linguists.[9]

The Oxford English Dictionary suggests the most plausible origin to be that it is derived from the Dutch name for Jan (John in Dutch), and this name was applied derisively by Dutch or English settlers in New England.[10] There are many extensions of this theory, among them is that it was used by Dutch settlers in upstate New York referring to the New Englanders who were migrating to their region.

Loyalist newspaper cartoon from Boston 1776 ridicules "Yankie Doodles" militia who have encircled the cityOne influence on the use of the term throughout the years has been the song Yankee Doodle, which was popular at the time of the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). Though the British intended to insult the colonials with the song, following the Battle of Concord, it was adopted by Americans as a proud retort and today is the state song of Connecticut.

An early use of the term outside the United States was in the creation of Sam Slick, the "Yankee Clockmaker", in a column in a newspaper in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada , in 1835. The character was a plain-talking American who served to poke fun at American and Nova Scotian customs of that era, while trying to urge the old-fashioned Canadians to be as clever and hard-working as the Yankees.

During the American Civil War (1861 - 1865) Confederates used it as a derogatory term for their Northern enemies - "**** Yankees". The "damned Yankee" usage dates from 1812.

In other parts of the world
In the late 19th century the Japanese were called "the Yankees of the East" in praise of their industriousness and drive to modernization. Outside the United States, especially in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, Yankee, almost universally shortened to 'Yank', is used as a colloquial, sometimes derogatory, term for American. In Cockney rhyming slang, Yank became septic tank begetting the new nickname Seppo or Septic for an American. The term was used extensively in these countries during the world wars to refer to American soldiers, and the U.S. government has often been referred to as the Yanks.

"Working for the Yankee dollar" is sometimes heard as a derogatory phrase for someone who is perceived to have 'sold out' to an American corporation in some way. In some parts of the world, particularly in Latin America, Spain and East Asia, yankee or yanqui is meant as an insult and is politically associated with anti-Americanism and used in expressions such as "Yankee go home" or "we struggle against the yanqui, enemy of humanity" (words from the Sandinista anthem). Yanquilandia ("Yankeeland") is a Spanish-language derogative nickname for the United States. In Japan the term yankī is used to refer to a youth subculture of bleached blondes who are generally regarded as delinquents by older generations; general slang for American is amekō. In Finland, the word jenkki (yank) is commonly used to refer to any American, and Jenkkilä (Yankeeland) refers to United States itself.

And E.B. White:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 AM

108 posts, read 374,854 times
Quote:
I think most anyone can get like a 6 month visa for Canada,but I think as long as you can get things in order by then you may have the advantage to get citizenship.

Join the club. So many seeing the idiocity in America which does not seem to be changing any time soon are ready to head out, thank god for the internet so we can be informed about other countries. Of course in the Army I knew in the 80's that I would relocate to Germany in a heartbeat.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:27 PM

215 posts, read 312,781 times
Default Yankee Origins

Housemartin, you found exactly what I discovered today and was getting ready to post! That's funny ! I really like the EB White saying at the end and especially that there's somebody quoted in Wikipedia's list of sources from our forum Yes! I think it had something to do with living in South Carolina and being called a "yankee" by somebody from Mississippi..I thought it was cool just see an applicable quote from someone in the forum being on the encyclopedia website.
All hail to our two cents !!

Last edited by absiesmom; 12-22-2006 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics