Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the word Yankee offend you?
Yes 28 20.74%
No 86 63.70%
I'm indifferent to it 21 15.56%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,853,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I do notice the ColdCanadian name,of course Canada is another exception for me also.I don't consider Canada part of the US north,I have an interest there as well.
To me it's all about the people.
Funny, because in my part of Canada, (within an hour from Toronto) we generally ignore strangers a little more than 'Yankees' from neighbouring states.

But you might like to visit Canada's East Coast, especially Newfoundland if you like hospitality and friendliness if you like cooler summers. (similar climate to Maine) I've never been but I heard it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,491,831 times
As far as Canada,I had been looking more at the Vancouver area and also Windsor possibly.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
As far as Canada,I had been looking more at the Vancouver area and also Windsor possibly.
To move or to visit?

Vancouver is a happening place, but Windsor can be dull.

Windsor is near some neat National Parks and Pelee Island.

Pelee Island is supposed to be nice. It's the southernmost Canadian landmass in the middle of Lake Erie. This island has very long growing seasons compared to the rest of Ontario, rare plants and animals, vineyards and possibly some nice beaches.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
To move or to visit?
Vancouver is a happening place, but Windsor can be dull.
To live of course,already visited Canada.
I never said I was into happening places,dull Windsor sounds fine also

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2006 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 12-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
To live of course,already visited Canada.
I never said I was into happening places,dull Windsor sounds fine also
Where did you visit?
Did you like Windsor because it's close to the U.S. or because it has one of our mildest climates?

If I had to stay in Canada I would like to move to Windsor if I there was a nice job for a variety of "unexciting" reasons:

-slightly milder in the winter
-more hot days and a generally warmer summer
-2 hours to the Cedar Point amusement park instead of 6
-visit Pelee island
-near the border so I can visit "Cracker Barrel" more often.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-20-2006 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Where did you visit?
Did you like Windsor because it's close to the U.S. or because it has one of our mildest climates?

If I had to stay in Canada I would like to move to Windsor if I there was a nice job for a variety of "unexciting" reasons:

-slightly milder in the winter
-more hot days and a generally warmer summer
-2 hours to the Cedar Point amusement park instead of 6
-visit Pelee island
-near the border so I can visit "Cracker Barrel" more often.
Actually I visited mostly in the Niagara area,but I've been researching and talking with people about the other areas and Vancouver and Windsor seemed to fit my criteria,mind you I don't have a long list anyway. Basically I leaned towards Vancouver mostly for the climate and Windsor because of it's proximity to Michigan. But I wasn't aware that Windsor also had a stable climate,I pretty much gathered that most of Canada was just very cold in winter period.
And I suppose I'm lucky enough now to live only about 25 minutes from Cracker Barrel currently

Old 12-20-2006, 04:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,480,177 times
It only offends me when I'm told at a job interview, You are just what we are looking for. But I won't have a yankee working for me on my payrol. Yes I was told that when I lived in Gulfport Mississippi. Otherwise no I take Pride in being a yankee. Still A Redsox fan though. LOL

Old 12-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Actually I visited mostly in the Niagara area,but I've been researching and talking with people about the other areas and Vancouver and Windsor seemed to fit my criteria,mind you I don't have a long list anyway. Basically I leaned towards Vancouver mostly for the climate and Windsor because of it's proximity to Michigan. But I wasn't aware that Windsor also had a stable climate,I pretty much gathered that most of Canada was just very cold in winter period.
And I suppose I'm lucky enough now to live only about 25 minutes from Cracker Barrel currently
Windsor isn't a stable climate, generally speaking.
They are the thunderstorm capitol of Canada.

Here's some stats:

January (day/night): 30 F/18 F in Windsor, 28 F/13 F Toronto
January official records: -20 F/64 F in Windsor, -24 F/ 62 F Toronto

July (day/night): 82 F/63 F Windsor, 80 F/ 59 F Toronto

March (day/night): 44 F/28 F Windsor and only 39 F/ 23 F Toronto

Spring seems to come sooner in Windsor and after a long winter and plenty of cabin fever, I find every degree higher really makes a difference.

I actually think the Niagara Area is nicer than Windsor, though I prefer Windsor's weather.
(actually, I prefer weather from much further south like Tennessee,
so that probably isn't saying much, lol)

Also, western NY I find is nicer than southeast Michigan.

Anyways, I hope you find a great place to live in Canada.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I hope you find a great place to live in Canada.
I hope I can also. I believe in order to gain residence or at least work in Canada there's quite an application process. If it were Mexico I'm sure I could get right in

Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I hope I can also. I believe in order to gain residence or at least work in Canada there's quite an application process. If it were Mexico I'm sure I could get right in
I don't know, Mexico's pretty tight against non-Mexicans. I hear it's illegal for a non-Mexican (citizen?) to buy or own Mexican land.

Do you need to work to be able to stay?

If you're a professional of some kind, you could qualify for a NAFTA work permit. I believe they're good for contracts up to a year.

I'd guess any American could retire and stay here indefinitely, (maybe missing some of the benefits) just as I imagine a Canadian could do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics