Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,895,838 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;49992906]Mornin' all!

It was a cold, cold Halloween. The kids came to the door in costumes with coats, and were rewarded for their determination with sweet treats. I love seeing the what the kids are wearing every year. Some costumes are quite creative.

As the holiday season is ushered in, I’m thinking about how to tidy, organize, and decorate for the gatherings to come. So, today’s theme is “around the house.”

Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like.

Out of sight out of mind. I don't like clutter.
Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry?
A little of both.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? Yes
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? No. Warm stale water? Ick.
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? No need. I can walk through the house in total darkness.
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? In the big cabinet in the down stairs powder room.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Yes
Do you own a whisk?Yes
Do you own a magnifying glass? Yes. I need it.
Do you have throw pillows?Yes
Do you know where your keys are right now? Um. I'll look for them when the hangover eases a bit.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 Willem de Kooning's "Two Women" sells for $1,980,000 https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/490198
Birthday: 1942 Marcia Wallace, U.S. actress (d. Oct 25, 2013)
Science/Technology: 2013 Australian scientists discover three new species of marsupial in Queensland: the Tweed Volcano Antechinus, the Buff-footed Antechinus and the Kroombit Antechinus Category: | The Courier Mail
Sports: 1978 New York Yankee Ron Guidry unanimously wins AL Cy Young Award

Today's Word:
scurryfunge (obsolete [I say we bring it back! ])
Pronunciation: (skur-e-, skuhr-ee- fuhnj [approximation])
Origin: (Verb) Old English
Meaning: to rush around cleaning when company is on their way over.
Usage: I scurryfunge when I see my mother in law coming over.

Today Is:
Authors’ Day
Deep Fried Clams Day (U.S.)
Extra Mile Day
Go Cook For Your Pets Day
Stress Awareness Day
Vinegar Day (U.S.)
World Vegan Day

Quote of the Day:
"I went to these mixers, you know, where you're supposed to meet people. And sure enough, some guy asked me for my phone number. But at the end of the evening he gave it back.” ~ Marcia Wallace ~

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!

Thanks Pat you too.

Thanks for the many Happy Halloween wishes everyone. It was a fun night but now I have to take it all down. Ugh. One of the new neighbors came with their baby and Yorkie. Both adorable but the Yorkie pooped in the laundry room. They were mortified. I just laughed. Hey when you have to go, you have to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 PM

15,022 posts, read 8,347,680 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like.

Handy

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry?

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night?
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside?
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night?
Kinda...there is a little one in the downstairs bathroom drawer and the cell phone
has a flashlight...we have a big one in the laundry room.

Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper?
In the Linen Closet and under the sink in the bathroom vanities. Giant packages kept in laundry room in a small storage area.

Do you keep a phone close at hand?
Do you own a whisk?
Do you own a magnifying glass?
Do you have throw pillows?
Do you know where your keys are right now?

Happy November all.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 11-01-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily
accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they
are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like.
Handy if it's something used frequently. Not gonna hide stuff to look 'neat.'

Bonus Question(s):
I don't decorate.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night?
Alarm clock with green numbers.
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside?
A bottle of water to limit spill risk.
Check.
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper?
Each bathroom has a linen cupboard.
Do you keep a phone close at hand?
Landline and cell.
Do you own a whisk?
Ye, 'cause you never know when you'll need to whip up an omelet in the middle of the night.
Do you own a magnifying glass?
More than one.
Do you have throw pillows?
I don't decorate.
Do you know where your keys are right now?
On my dresser. Haven't gone anywhere today or they'd be in my pocket.

Today's Word: I wonder where that came from.

Thanks, Pat.
Have a great day!
And you.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 PM

7,371 posts, read 2,770,057 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. I like to keep pens and paper at hand.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? I don't decorate.

Just for fun:
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? No
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? Yes
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? Cabinet under the bathroom sink
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Landline, yes.
Do you own a whisk? A few. Different sizes.
Do you own a magnifying glass? A couple
Do you have throw pillows? No
Do you know where your keys are right now? Yes

Thanks Patscats for the questions. Happy November to everyone!

Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,039 times
Evenin' all!

So, today’s theme is “around the house.”

Today's Question(s):
I like to keep things where I can get to them easily. There is a large black glass "goblet" on the end table holding all manner of pens, pencils, etc. And a glass candy jar with a metal clasp right next to it. Right now it's full of Hershey's Kisses. Hubby likes to keep the ice cream in the freezer downstairs in the garage. He says it gives us exercise. The wall-mounted pencil sharpener is down there too.

Bonus Question(s):
I do like to decorate with asymmetry. I see the non-decorated space as the "balance."

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? I do.
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? I do that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME8aAzSKjy8
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? I have an over-the-tank- holder that holds 2 rolls on the side of the tank.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Always!
Do you own a whisk? Yes.
Do you own a magnifying glass? I do.
Do you have throw pillows? On the sofa and loveseat only.
Do you know where your keys are right now? Luckily, at this moment, I do. An hour ago I would not have.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 Willem de Kooning's "Two Women" sells for $1,980,000 https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/490198
Birthday: 1942 Marcia Wallace, U.S. actress (d. Oct 25, 2013)
Science/Technology: 2013 Australian scientists discover three new species of marsupial in Queensland: the Tweed Volcano Antechinus, the Buff-footed Antechinus and the Kroombit Antechinus Category: | The Courier Mail
Sports: 1978 New York Yankee Ron Guidry unanimously wins AL Cy Young Award

Today's Word:

Today Is:
Authors’ Day
Deep Fried Clams Day (U.S.) Used to love 'em!
Extra Mile Day
Go Cook For Your Pets Day
Stress Awareness Day
Vinegar Day (U.S.)
World Vegan Day

Quote of the Day:
"I went to these mixers, you know, where you're supposed to meet people. And sure enough, some guy asked me for my phone number. But at the end of the evening he gave it back.” ~ Marcia Wallace ~
That Marcia Walker...she was a hoot!

Thanx again everyone.
Have a great day!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 PM

39,242 posts, read 23,235,816 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. I like to keep frequently-used items within easy reach so I don't have to hunt around for them.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? Symmetry

Just for fun:
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? No
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? Yes
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? In the garage.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Yes
Do you own a whisk? Yes
Do you own a magnifying glass? Yes
Do you have throw pillows? Yes
Do you know where your keys are right now? Yes

I hope everyone had a wonderful Wednesday. Happy 1st of November!

Old 11-02-2017, 12:14 PM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Mornin' all!

It was a cold, cold Halloween. The kids came to the door in costumes with coats, and were rewarded for their determination with sweet treats. I love seeing the what the kids are wearing every year. Some costumes are quite creative. I saw lots of really fun and creative costumes this year, too.

As the holiday season is ushered in, I’m thinking about how to tidy, organize, and decorate for the gatherings to come. So, today’s theme is “around the house.”

Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. I would like to keep things handy, but my old (102) house has very little storage space. Nothing's ever convenient to get to in my house.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? I prefer asymmetry.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? Yepper.
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? Nope.
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? There's a tiny flashlight in my nightstand. I can see well enough in the dark when I get up at night, though.
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? In a stand next to the toilet tank. The stand holds 4 rolls and the top portion of it holds a cube box of tissues.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? I have a landline phone at each end of my house (bedroom and family room). I also have my cell phone, but I don't use it much and often forget to keep it near me when I'm at home. When I go to bed at night, I turn the cell phone off.
Do you own a whisk? Yep. I own three in various sizes.
Do you own a magnifying glass? Yepper. I own two and keep one at home and one at work.
Do you have throw pillows? Yes, a few. There are two on my living room sofa and three in my family room (two on a sofa and one on a chair).
Do you know where your keys are right now? Yes. I always know where my keys are.

Today's Word:
I agree - bring the word back! I'm not a great housekeeper and my house is never company-ready unless I'm expecting company. If I have short notice that visitors are coming, I perform one massive scurryfunge. *lol*

Have a great day! Fun stuff!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics