Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 AM

5,919 posts, read 3,832,316 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

It was a cold, cold Halloween. The kids came to the door in costumes with coats, and were rewarded for their determination with sweet treats. I love seeing the what the kids are wearing every year. Some costumes are quite creative.

As the holiday season is ushered in, I’m thinking about how to tidy, organize, and decorate for the gatherings to come. So, today’s theme is “around the house.”

Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like.
I like to keep things in their proper place, pens/pencils/notepads etc. are in the office,
clothes are in the closet or in a dresser drawer etc. The only things I keep handy are my phones, tablet and remotes.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry?
having a little touch of OCD, I prefer symmetry

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night?
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside?
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night?
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? in both bathrooms
Do you keep a phone close at hand?
Do you own a whisk?
Do you own a magnifying glass?
Do you have throw pillows?
Do you know where your keys are right now?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 Willem de Kooning's "Two Women" sells for $1,980,000 https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/490198
Birthday: 1942 Marcia Wallace, U.S. actress (d. Oct 25, 2013)
Science/Technology: 2013 Australian scientists discover three new species of marsupial in Queensland: the Tweed Volcano Antechinus, the Buff-footed Antechinus and the Kroombit Antechinus Category: | The Courier Mail
Sports: 1978 New York Yankee Ron Guidry unanimously wins AL Cy Young Award

Today's Word:
scurryfunge (obsolete [I say we bring it back! ])
Pronunciation: (skur-e-, skuhr-ee- fuhnj [approximation])
Origin: (Verb) Old English
Meaning: to rush around cleaning when company is on their way over.
Usage: I scurryfunge when I see my mother in law coming over.

Today Is:
Authors’ Day
Deep Fried Clams Day (U.S.)
Extra Mile Day
Go Cook For Your Pets Day
Stress Awareness Day
Vinegar Day (U.S.)
World Vegan Day

Quote of the Day:
"I went to these mixers, you know, where you're supposed to meet people. And sure enough, some guy asked me for my phone number. But at the end of the evening he gave it back.” ~ Marcia Wallace ~

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!

Thanks PC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:40 AM

7,422 posts, read 5,530,629 times
It was a cold, cold Halloween. The kids came to the door in costumes with coats, and were rewarded for their determination with sweet treats. I love seeing the what the kids are wearing every year. Some costumes are quite creative.

As the holiday season is ushered in, I’m thinking about how to tidy, organize, and decorate for the gatherings to come. So, today’s theme is “around the house.”

Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. Yes, I keep my glasses, pen , notepad of paper and a few other little things in a caddy where I sit on my couch.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? No, I just decorate how I like.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? Yes
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? No
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? No, but I should
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? In a spare closet
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Yes
Do you own a whisk? Yes
Do you own a magnifying glass? Yes
Do you have throw pillows? Yes
Do you know where your keys are right now? Yes

Old 11-01-2017, 07:41 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,752,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
[b]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. I keep things handy and accessible. Keep a pen on the end table which is next to the couch in case I need it right a way.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? I don't decorate anymore.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? My tablet has a clock which I keep near me in case I need to know what time it is in the middle of the night.
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? Sometimes.
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? Yes.
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? In the linen closet which is right next to the bathroom.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Yes.
Do you own a whisk? Yes.
Do you own a magnifying glass? Yes.
Do you have throw pillows? Yes.
Do you know where your keys are right now? Yes, in my coat pocket.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 Willem de Kooning's "Two Women" sells for $1,980,000 https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/490198
Science/Technology: 2013 Australian scientists discover three new species of marsupial in Queensland: the Tweed Volcano Antechinus, the Buff-footed Antechinus and the Kroombit Antechinus Category: | The Courier Mail

Today's Word:

Today Is:
Authors’ Day
Extra Mile Day
Stress Awareness Day
Vinegar Day (U.S.)
World Vegan Day

Quote of the Day:
"I went to these mixers, you know, where you're supposed to meet people. And sure enough, some guy asked me for my phone number. But at the end of the evening he gave it back.” ~ Marcia Wallace ~

Have a great day!
Happy Hump Day, everyone!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:00 AM

4,051 posts, read 2,923,725 times
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. === Pencils and pens are always handy. Candles are all in the same cupboard in the kitchen, so I could find them easily in an emergency. Batteries are out of sight in a plastic bin in the hall closet. Can't think of anything else.

When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? === I'd say I'm more of an asymmetrical decorator. :-)

Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? === I do.
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? === Nope.
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? === Yup.
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? === In a cabinet in each bathroom.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? === I don't carry my cell phone around in the house. It sits on the kitchen counter when it's charging or in my handbag if I'm out and about. My landlines are in the master bedroom and the kitchen.
Do you own a whisk? === I do.
Do you own a magnifying glass? === I don't.
Do you have throw pillows? === Yup!
Do you know where your keys are right now? === Why yes indeedy I do.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,936 posts, read 82,014,674 times

Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like. Yes, to a fault. Especially tools used regularly to do minor repairs around the house.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry?
Both, as appropriate.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? Yes, digital alarm clock/radio on the nightstand. I can tell you that it was 1:45 am when we were awakened by the howl of a coyote outside the bedroom window.
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? Not a glass, a bottle.
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? Yes, one each.
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? on shelves in the bathrooms.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? The rarely-used landlines are in the kitchen and master bedroom. We don't bring up our cell phones.
Do you own a whisk? Two, one metal one plastic.
Do you own a magnifying glass? At the office, not at home.
Do you have throw pillows? Many, my wife like to make them for both sofas as even the travel trailer.
Do you know where your keys are right now? Car key is in my pocket, others are in my backpack on the floor under my desk.

Today Is:

Deep Fried Clams Day (U.S.) Yum, I may have to go to Ivar's and get some after work!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:52 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,989,620 times

Today's Question(s):
Do you like to keep things (any kind of things; pencils, candies, etc.) handy and easily accessible for times when you need/want them, or do you keep things at a distance so they are out of sight, out of mind? Give us an example if you like.

Yes. I keep some by the phone in the kitchen and in my office...... I also have them in the glove box of both SUVs.

Bonus Question(s):

Just for fun:
Yes, there's a clock on the both nightstands next to the bed.

No but there is a glass of water in the bathroom that I use for taking meds .....

Yes,,, in the drawers of both nightstands and a couple in the kitchen, office, and in the vehicles...

Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper?
Yes, in each bathroom there is an extra roll. And in the laundry room there is a large package of them.

Always,,,, there are landlines in the main rooms of the house plus cell phones that we take with us when leaving home.

Do you own a whisk?
Yes,, but I don't use the whisk I use a fork.

Yes

Too many of them,

Yes. In my pocket.

Today in History:

Today's Word:

Today Is:
Authors’ Day
Extra Mile Day
Stress Awareness Day
Vinegar Day (U.S.)
World Vegan Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 AM

2,293 posts, read 1,441,869 times
Today's Question(s):

Most things out of sight because I hate clutter but I have several holders for pencils, pens, markers, etc. neatly sitting around just because I like them.

Bonus Question(s):

Whatever feels right.

Just for fun:

Yes.

No.

The one on my phone. I use it all the time.

In the cabinet above the toilet.

My iPhone. I'm on it now.

Do you own a whisk?

Yes.

Just an old portable one that I got at NASA years ago.

Yes. I like throw pillows intended for outdoor furniture to use indoors. The designs and colors on outdoor throw pillows are usually more appealing to my tastes I find.

Yes.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:43 AM

24,634 posts, read 26,196,376 times
Today's Question(s):
I have 4 containers of pencils, pens, highlighters, scissors and other things close at hand at my desk. Plus a pencil cup at the main house phone.

Bonus Question(s):
I leave that subject up to the Super Chief to avoid tension.

Just for fun:
I do.

A bottle.

Yep

In the bathroom vanities, extras are stashed in the garage.

There are 5 cordless phones strategically placed throughout the house.

Do you own a whisk?
2 or 3.

3 of them.

More than I can count, this must have something to do with decorating.

Always in my pocket.

Thanx PatsCats, not 1 trick or treater her last night. The candy is all mine.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM

3,097 posts, read 1,706,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

It was a cold, cold Halloween. The kids came to the door in costumes with coats, and were rewarded for their determination with sweet treats. I love seeing the what the kids are wearing every year. Some costumes are quite creative. Despite GREAT weather for Halloween this year, it was dead out. I couldn't believe it! It's weird here.

Today's Question(s):

I like accessibility for certain things. On the end table by where I sit in the living room, I keep a pen-pencil holder full of writing tools. A separate narrow tray holds readers, a nail file, some post-its, and God knows what else. I'm too lazy to go into my office for every little thing. Not a neat-freak, anyway.

I also keep a pair of readers in every room.

Bonus Question(s):
When decorating, do you prefer to have symmetry, or do you like to “balance” with asymmetry? Both - depends on what it is. I set up my sideboard with big fake pumpkins, and "something" doesn't look right, so I'm going to experiment with it.

Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? Yep
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside? Nope
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? Yep
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper? Garage where the pantry is.
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Try to but often fail.
Do you own a whisk? Several
Do you own a magnifying glass? Yes
Do you have throw pillows? Nope
Do you know where your keys are right now? Yep

Have a great day!
Thanks, PATS. Happy Humps, all!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,243,312 times
[quote=PatsCats;49992906]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
I keep a pen and paper handy
Just for fun:
Do you have a clock you can see if you wake up in the middle of the night? yes
Do you keep a glass of water at your bedside?Not with a big excitable dog
Do you keep a flashlight nearby in case the electricity goes out in the night? NO
Where do you stash extra rolls of toilet paper?On a shelf by the toilet
Do you keep a phone close at hand? Cell phone which I also use as a light.
Do you own a magnifying glass?There is one around some where
Do you have throw pillows? yes
Do you know where your keys are right now? In my right front pocket

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!
[/QUOTEThanks Pat Hope all have a good safe day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics