Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:21 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,039 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Time again to grab a cuppa your favorite Question beverage and have a little fun with Wednesday’s Qs.

Today's theme is, "It’s not the destination, it’s the journey. Unless it isn’t."

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum?
See some examples here
Roadside Attractions - Atlas Obscura

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip?

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane?
other?

Today in History :
Arts/Entertainment: 1969 120,000 attend Texas International Pop Festival
Birthday: 1948 Lewis Black, U.S. comic
Science/Technology: 1885 13,000 meteors seen in 1 hour near Andromeda
Sports: 1991 Dan O'Brien sets U.S. decathalon record with 8,812 points

Today's Word:
peregrination
Pronunciation: (per-i-gruh-ney-shuh n)
Etymology: from O.Fr. peregrination (12c.), from L. peregrinationem (nom. peregrinatio) "a journey," from peregrinatus, pp. of peregrinari "to journey or travel abroad," from peregrinus "from foreign parts, foreigner," from peregre "abroad," properly "that found outside Roman territory," from per- (q.v.) + agri, loc. of ager "field, territory, land, country"
Meaning: noun
1. travel from one place to another, especially on foot.
2. a course of travel; journey.
Earliest Documented Use: 1528

Today Is:
Frankenstein Day
Grief Awareness Day
Holistic Pet Day
International Whale Shark Day
Slinky Day
Toasted Marshmallow Day

Quote of the Day:
"I do have certain feelings. My feeling is that whoever is in charge, I want him out.” ~ Lewis Black ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 01:42 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Good Morning

Today's theme is, "It’s not the destination, it’s the journey. Unless it isn’t."

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? yes!
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Yes. I usually always have time. When traveling with others--they seem to be in too much of a rush.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane?
other?

Today in History :

Today's Word:
peregrination
Etymology: from O.Fr. peregrination (12c.), from L. peregrinationem (nom. peregrinatio) "a journey," from peregrinatus, pp. of peregrinari "to journey or travel abroad," from peregrinus "from foreign parts, foreigner," from peregre "abroad," properly "that found outside Roman territory," from per- (q.v.) + agri, loc. of ager "field, territory, land, country"

Today Is:
Frankenstein Day
Grief Awareness Day
Holistic Pet Day
Slinky Day
Toasted Marshmallow Day

Quote of the Day:
"I do have certain feelings. My feeling is that whoever is in charge, I want him out.” ~ Lewis Black ~

Have a super day!

Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 AM

21,740 posts, read 8,880,895 times

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way?
Not usually. We want to get where we're going as expeditiously as possible.

Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum?
Yes, but that was many years ago when I was a lot younger. I remember stopping at one place in Eastern Pennsylvania, an elaborate model railroad exhibit that was fun to watch.

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip?
Yes, but Mr. Bay doesn't want to play along.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
Up to a point. I wouldn't want to go on a strenuous hike or be on my feet all day long.
by bicycle?
Only on short journeys around town, not for long-distance trips.
by motorcycle?
Never. I hate those things. They're noisy and dangerous.
by car?
That's my style.
by bus?
I ride our local Muni buses occasionally.
by plane?
Ugh, no, unless I can fly first class.
other?
It's been years, but I used to love to roller skate.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
It's been a while but when I used to travel occasionally it's point A to point B.

Do you like to travel:
on foot?
- I walk for exercise. I would prefer to keep an outing under 3 hours.
by bicycle? - It's been about 20 years...
by motorcycle? - I was only on one once for about 2 miles.
by car? - I don't like to drive but when going anywhere this would be my choice.
by bus? - Okay as long as the person next to me is not too big.
by plane? - I've been treated rudely by the TSA, For that reason I'd rather avoid the hassle.
other? - Train, okay but not sure if I want to do long distance again.

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:39 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,879,076 times
Mornin' all!

Time again to grab a cuppa your favorite Question beverage and have a little fun with Wednesday’s Qs.

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? No, we're always excited to get to our destination.
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Rarely

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car
?
by bus?
by plane? Only small private planes
other? boat

Today's Word:
peregrination

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day! Thanks, PatsCats! Prayers for those who have been and continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 AM

36,579 posts, read 16,165,576 times
Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum?
See some examples here
We traveled a lot when I was young, by car. Went thru the drive thru Redwood, probably other things I don't remember.

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Sure

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane? It's becoming a real pain to travel to California by plane.
other?

Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Yes I do especially when I travel to Europe Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? I do sometimes stop if I see an antique store
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Yes that happened too. When I traveled to India I would have loved to have a stopover at another big city in Asia but we all decided to take a direct flight

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot? Yes I love hiking long distances and camp overnight
by bicycle? I have done long bike tours for a week with camping included. These days I just bike 50 to 60 km a day
by motorcycle?
by car? I travel long distances by car to see family,relatives or just to visit National parks. Twice my whole family and friends did a road trip across Canada. The more drivers you have the better
by bus? I did travel with the Greyhound to the West Coast of British Columbia and Quebec when I was much younger
by plane? I do fly frequently but don't really enjoy it. It is the long hours and knowing you are high up in the air
other?

Today in History :

Today's Word:
peregrination

Today Is:
Frankenstein Day
Grief Awareness Day
Holistic Pet Day
Slinky Day
Toasted Marshmallow Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!

Thank you PatsCats

Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,782,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
[b]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? I have years ago.
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Yes.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane?
other?

Today in History :

Today's Word:
peregrination

Today Is:
Frankenstein Day
Grief Awareness Day
Holistic Pet Day
Slinky Day
Toasted Marshmallow Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!
Happy Hump Day, everyone.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 5,553,817 times
[b]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? No, we are always too anxious to get to our destination.
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Rarely

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane?
other? Train

Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 AM

37,870 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Today's Question(s):

Everything is pre-planned. I take my entire trip on Google Maps by moving the little man along the road in the street view looking for things to photograph when I take the actual trip. If the spot has a name, I then go to Google Images and YouTube to see what I can find out about it, what it looks like from different angles of other photographers and how accessible it is for me. I've evaluated the potential subject before I leave my home. On my last trip, I did all searching/viewing for potential farm subjects via Google Maps because for the most part, you can't find them in advance any other way unless they are a venue for something public (EX: pumpkin picking, wedding site, tours) and they have a name.

Bonus Question(s):

Every time I go up (head north) Route 81, I see these wonderful farms from the highway that I wish I could check out but I have a reservation somewhere that I have to get to before the sun goes down.

I once flew over the salt flats in Utah, on a work trip, and wished I had time to go there.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane?
other?

Only by car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics