Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,623,387 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Back from southern Indiana where hubby & I went to view the eclipse. Internet access was unreliable where we were.

Okay, enough of that. Today's theme is "family history."

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends?

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about?

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met?
the birthplace of your mother/father?
the birthplace of your grandparents?
other relatives?

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1968 Ringo quits Beatles over a disagreement, temporarily
Birthday: 1932 Mark Russell, US satirist
Science/Technology: 1966 Lunar Orbiter 1 takes 1st photograph of Earth from Moon
Sports: 1989 Los Angeles Dodgers beat Montreal Expos, 1-0, in 22 innings (Rick Dempsey home run)
World: 1990 East and West Germany announced that they would unite on Oct 3

Today's Word:
consanguinity
Pronunciation: (kon-sang-gwin-i-tee)
Etymology: Latin consanguineus, equivalent to con- con- + sanguin- (stem of sanguis) blood + -eus -eous
Meaning: noun:
1. relationship by descent from a common ancestor; kinship (distinguished from affinity).
2. close relationship or connection.
Earliest Documented Use: 1595-1605

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day
Ride The Wind Day
Sponge Cake Day
Valentino Day

Quote of the Day:
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.” ~ Mark Russell ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone! Have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 PM

39,225 posts, read 23,219,289 times
Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? Not officially.
If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? The last one I attended, phone calls were made and invitations sent out.
What did you think of the event(s)/people? Fantastic for both.
Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Most of us stay in touch via Facebook since we're so spread out.
Did you make any new friends? Well, they're my relatives but I'm on friendly terms with all of them.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” BJH had a similar question not too long ago so I'll give you the same answer. In Philippine culture, grandfather is referred to as "Lolo" and grandmother is referred to as "Lola." Additionally, uncle is "Tito" and aunt is "Tita."
What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? That's a family secret.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? No.
the birthplace of your mother/father? My mother - yes. My father - no. (My dad's birthplace is 100+ miles from where he grew up.)
the birthplace of your grandparents? Maternal grandparents - yes. Paternal grandparents - no. (My paternal grandparents' birthplace is same as my dad's.)
other relatives? No.

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? Not with me. Maybe my parents have them.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Dennis P; 08-22-2017 at 11:32 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 11:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,226,615 times
Mornin' all!

Back from southern Indiana where hubby & I went to view the eclipse. Internet access was unreliable where we were.

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends?
My grandmother did but she's long gone. I've also attended maternal family reunion in the Bahamas.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?”
What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about?

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the birthplace of your mother/father? Mother not father.
other relatives?

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family?

Today in History:
Science/Technology: 1966 Lunar Orbiter 1 takes 1st photograph of Earth from Moon
Sports: 1989 Los Angeles Dodgers beat Montreal Expos, 1-0, in 22 innings (Rick Dempsey home run)

Today's Word:
consanguinity
Etymology: Latin consanguineus, equivalent to con- con- + sanguin- (stem of sanguis) blood + -eus -eous
1. relationship by descent from a common ancestor; kinship (distinguished from affinity).

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day
Ride The Wind Day
Sponge Cake Day
Valentino Day

Quote of the Day:
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.” ~ Mark Russell ~

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-22-2017 at 11:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,878,062 times
Mornin' all!

Back from southern Indiana where hubby & I went to view the eclipse. Internet access was unreliable where we were. I saw a partial eclipse from my backyard. It was amazing.

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends? No family reunions. Sibs & families get together several times a year. If everyone came there would be 28 of us not counting various boyfriends and their kids.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? My sister is TL. One of my grands couldn't say Auntie El and called her TL. I also have an aunt we call Sassy.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Many
the birthplace of your mother/father? Both
the birthplace of your grandparents? Paternal grandparents
other relatives? Aunts & Uncles
I have told of how we still own property ancestors bought in 1841. My brother and his wife live in one side of the house and my daughter moved into the other side after her divorce.

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? I have a marriage certificate for paternal great grandparents and obituaries of many going back a few generations.

Today's Word:
consanguinity

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day
Ride The Wind Day
Sponge Cake Day
Valentino Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanx so much for playing everyone! Have a good day! Thanks, PatsCats! I'm hoping to go kayaking since this is my last day of summer vacation. Teachers have a week of meetings/in-service before the kids start on the 31st.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:47 AM

21,730 posts, read 8,871,215 times

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions?
Not any more. We used to have a family picnic in the summer and a holiday gathering just after Christmas. The older generation who hosted these events are all gone now or too elderly to participate. The younger generation all have families of their own that have spread far and wide and there's too many of us now, so it's just not practical any more.
If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends?
My Aunt Katie used to host the winter gathering at her home, and the summer picnics were usually held at a public park. My mother had seven brothers and sisters, and these get-togethers were the only chance I had to see my aunts and uncles.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about?
One of my aunts was known as "Teedles" and another as "Auntie Oonie."

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
No, but I have looked some of them up on Find a Grave and have seen photos of the grave sites.
No, they were both born in the Midwest, where I've never been. Their families moved to California in the 1920s.
Same as above.
other relatives?
I have visited my grandfather's grave at Golden Gate National Cemetery. He was a veteran of the Spanish-American War.

I have both my parents' death certificates, Mr. Bay's and my birth certificates, our respective divorce papers, his parents' marriage certificate and my mother's birth certificate.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 08-23-2017 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-23-2017, 01:24 AM

37,863 posts, read 41,268,527 times
Today's Question(s):
No reunions

Bonus Question(s):
No

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
No
the birthplace of your mother/father? Same as mine
the birthplace of your grandparents? No
other relatives? No

I have a photo of my dad's grave that I took in 2009. He's in a National Cemetery in another state.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:36 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,260,043 times
yes

not really

nope
yes
nope
nope
yes

Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM

36,572 posts, read 16,157,367 times
Today's Question(s):
When all my Dad's Aunts, Uncles and cousins were alive we had a big reunion, I was in my 20's.

Bonus Question(s):
I'm Nana.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
other relatives?
No to all the above.

I do have some of all, from doing some genealogy stuff years ago.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:07 AM

126,522 posts, read 19,279,654 times

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? The planning of a family reunion is passed around from family to family. If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? We have them every 5 years What did you think of the event(s)/people? It is always great to see them Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? I am very close to all my family/relatives

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? Not really

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Yes every time I visit my homeland I visit the graves
the birthplace of your mother/father? Yes I have
the birthplace of your grandparents? Yes I have
other relatives? even some of my favorite aunt and uncles

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? Yes a birth certificates and marriage records among other personal belongings

Today in History:

Today's Word:
consanguinity

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day
Ride The Wind Day
Sponge Cake Day
Valentino Day

Quote of the Day:

Thank you PatsCats

Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 AM

7,445 posts, read 5,549,646 times
B]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends? We used to have them a long time ago when my grandparents on my mothers side were still around. We haven't had one in a very long time.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? We called one grandfather 'Pa'.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Yes
the birthplace of your mother/father? Yes, we live in the same town
the birthplace of your grandparents? Same as above
other relatives? Same as above.

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? Yes, and photographs. We even have original discharge and war pension papers from a GG Grandfather who fought in the civil war ( for the north).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics