Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:31 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,612,442 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends? Up until a few years ago, my family had a reunion every three years. Figured with some people living across the country, every year would get everybody burned out on it so we settled on every three. The problem is our branch of the family has done the last 4 or 5, including my wife and I doing two of them. But nobody from the other parts of the family want to step forward. Got the younger generations that could take over.
My wife's family gets together the third Sunday in May every year. They sit around the cemetery sharing pictures and stories, then pull out tables and I've never seen that much food in my life!

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? My parents were Mammy and Pap. My mother wanted my dad's name to be Pappy, but he said he'd settle for Pap. lol

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Quite often. Mowed the family cemetery where my great grandfather is buried for 15 years
the birthplace of your mother/father? Live in the same town where she was born.Been to my dad's several times
the birthplace of your grandparents? Yup
other relatives? Yup

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family?
My wife is BIG in geneology and has copies of birth and death certificates and marriage licenses from way back in the family. She's traced my family back to the Lord Mayor of London in the early 1400s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM

44,408 posts, read 20,144,200 times
Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? Nope. My family is very tiny and there aren't enough of us left to have a reunion. If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends?

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? My paternal grandparents both died before I was born. My maternal grandparents lived in the house directly behind ours, so I saw them every day. I called them "Gramma" and "Grampa." My brother has a family nickname which is completely different from his given name. His first name is John, but to us he is "Buddy" or sometimes "Bud." My brother was first-born, and the story goes that when he was an infant and my dad would come home from work, Dad would go to the bassinet and say, "How's my little buddy today?" The name "Buddy" stuck and was even on his school records throughout elementary school. When I was a little kid, I thought "Buddy" was his real name. It wasn't until Bud became a teen that he decided "Buddy" was childish and he asked all of his friends to call him "John." To this day, my sis and I, and his wife still call him Buddy.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Nope. None are buried anywhere near where I live.
the birthplace of your mother/father? I grew up in the city where my father was born. I briefly visited the city of my mom's birth - Duluth, MN - in 1971. Sadly, Mom became very ill during that vacation and died four days later. She had just turned 52.
the birthplace of your grandparents? Yes. I've been to Ludington, MI, which is where my maternal grandfather was born.
other relatives? Not that I recall.

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? I have my parents' death certificates and my maternal grandparents' death certificates. I have my dad's honorable discharge certificate from the Marines. He served in Japan during WWII.

Today's Word:
consanguinity
Pronunciation: (kon-sang-gwin-i-tee)
Etymology: Latin consanguineus, equivalent to con- con- + sanguin- (stem of sanguis) blood + -eus -eous
Meaning: noun:
1. relationship by descent from a common ancestor; kinship (distinguished from affinity).
2. close relationship or connection.
Earliest Documented Use: 1595-1605
Interesting word!

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day Not sure what this is, but it sounds good. I suspect I would love Cuban food.
Ride The Wind Day Wouldn't it be cool to fly?
Sponge Cake Day Not a big fan.
Valentino Day Rudy!

Quote of the Day:
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.” ~ Mark Russell ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone! Have a good day! Tons o' fun! Have a beautiful day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 AM
bjh

60,243 posts, read 30,504,206 times
Mornin' all!
Mornin'

Back from southern Indiana where hubby & I went to view the eclipse. Internet access was unreliable where we were.
First world problem.

Okay, enough of that. Today's theme is "family history."
Okay.

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions?
Have.
If so, how often are they organized,
Not for a few years.
and how many have you attended?
Several.
What did you think of the event(s)/people?
Enjoyed. They are my peeps.
Did you reconnect with far away loved ones?
Have.
Did you make any new friends?
Yes.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?”
Just standard nicknames liek mom, dad, grandma, grandpa.
What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about?
No such.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met?
the birthplace of your mother/father?
the birthplace of your grandparents? Not all.
other relatives?

Do you have any birth/death certificates,
Many.
gravestone rubbings,
Couple.
marriage records, of any members of your family?
Many.

Quote of the Day:
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.” ~ Mark Russell ~
Good one.

Thanx so much for playing everyone!
Don't mention it.
Have a good day!
You too.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,917,860 times
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? --- No.

Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” --- My grandparents were Nana and Papa and my great-grandmother was "Other Nana".

What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? --- My parents were Nana and Gongi to their grandchildren.

Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? --- Nope.
the birthplace of your mother/father? --- Yes.
the birthplace of your grandparents? --- Haven't.
other relatives?

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? --- I don't.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM

24,567 posts, read 26,120,174 times
Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended?
Family reunions just happen here, very informal. There has only been a few that I recall.

What did you think of the event(s)/people?
They are OK.

Did you reconnect with far away loved ones?
Yep

Did you make any new friends?
New family members.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about?
None here.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
No

Yep

the birthplace of your grandparents?
No

other relatives?
No

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family?
No

Thanx PatsCats.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM

3,093 posts, read 1,697,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Back from southern Indiana where hubby & I went to view the eclipse. Internet access was unreliable where we were.

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends? Husband's sisters tried to but the brothers were disinterested and it went nowhere. The sisters attend an extended family reunion every year but the bros don't. I've never been to a family reunion ~ don't miss it.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? I called my father Pai, which means father in Portuguese. Other than that, I cannot think of any nicknames at all.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Nope.
the birthplace of your mother/father? One of them, yes.
the birthplace of your grandparents? Nope.
other relatives? Nope.

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? Mom's naturalization papers from the 30's. My grandpa's passport papers from the same decade.

Thanx so much for playing everyone! Have a good day!
Happy Humps!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,837,310 times
[quote=PatsCats;49283713]Mornin' all!

Wasn't it amazing. We went to the Kentucky Illinois border to watch and we had a totally unobstructed view. No clouds at all but it was Hot!

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends?

I don't have any family and I'd rather drink arsenic then spend any time with John's family.
Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about?
Nope.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Nope
the birthplace of your mother/father? Nope
the birthplace of your grandparents? Nope. I have no idea about my family history.
other relatives?

I have death certificates because I had to settle my mother's estate. I do have my grandmother's tin social security card.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1968 Ringo quits Beatles over a disagreement, temporarily
Birthday: 1932 Mark Russell, US satirist
Science/Technology: 1966 Lunar Orbiter 1 takes 1st photograph of Earth from Moon
Sports: 1989 Los Angeles Dodgers beat Montreal Expos, 1-0, in 22 innings (Rick Dempsey home run)
World: 1990 East and West Germany announced that they would unite on Oct 3

Today's Word:
consanguinity
Etymology: Latin consanguineus, equivalent to con- con- + sanguin- (stem of sanguis) blood + -eus -eous
1. relationship by descent from a common ancestor; kinship (distinguished from affinity).

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day
Ride The Wind Day
Sponge Cake Day
Valentino Day

Quote of the Day:

The eclipse was amazing. We were at ground zero without any cloud cover. I guess Champagne had some obstructed views. I'm glad we didn't book a room and commit to one area. We followed the weather. It was an exhausting 7 hour drive with only two hours of sleep, but so worth it. It was easy enough to get a room in Metropolis after the eclipse and the drive home was only five and a half hours. I hope I'm around for 2024. The next one will be way easier for you Pat.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,415,113 times
I'm back from our home in central New Mexico where last week we unexpectedly (no trailer) decided to drive over to east central Arizona where we bought a large Cushman UTV for the farm. It's a beautiful area of Arizona for sure.

I missed the eclipse on Monday. I was probably busy trying to get the 1,100 pound UTV out of the back of my F150's bed without killing myself or wrecking it or my truck.

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? Someone does.
If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? The last one I attended was at an old one room schoolhouse in the Pineywoods of east Texas but that was over 60 years ago.
What did you think of the event(s)/people? It was always fun playing with all my other "tow-headed" cousins but the greatest fun was the long outdoor picnic tables that always seemed to go to a vanishing point loaded with pies and cakes.
Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends? As the family historian, I only now know who many of those tow-headed children probably were.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?”
I'm "pawpaw" to my grandchildren. My wife is "meemaw".
What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? May God rest your soul Aunt BeeBee.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? Many, many.
the birthplace of your mother/father? I grew up in the same town.
the birthplace of your grandparents? I grew up in the same town.
other relatives? Yes in Eastern Maryland, North Carolina, eastern and western Texas, New Mexico. . . I still want to go to family grave sites in Florida, the Carolinas, Louisiana . . .

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? Yes but I can't recall all of them. I have a file cabinet full of family records and a couple of bookcases of books. I probably have the largest private collection of books and manuscripts dealing specifically with my surname, both spellings. Some are signed.

Good job PC.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:36 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,417,813 times
Hi

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends? No family reunions here. The closest we came is when my cousin had a birthday party for her mother's 100th birthday--lots of people came to that--it was nice.

Bonus Question(s):
Does/did your family have any nicknames for various family members, such as “nana,” or “papaw?” What names are/were used for family members that no one else but family would know who you were talking about? Nope

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
the gravesites of family members you’d often heard about but never met? No
the birthplace of your mother/father? yes
the birthplace of your grandparents? Yes
other relatives?

Do you have any birth/death certificates, gravestone rubbings, marriage records, of any members of your family? Yes

So sleepy.....ZZZZzzzz....

Old 08-23-2017, 04:42 PM

62,042 posts, read 87,741,405 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Does someone in your family organize family reunions? If so, how often are they organized, and how many have you attended? What did you think of the event(s)/people? Did you reconnect with far away loved ones? Did you make any new friends?

Nah. Where I come from reunions are not organized.
People just meet for B-Days, holidays or without any particular reason.

Bonus Question(s):
No, not really. Those are reserved for very small kids.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever visited:
Yes.
Yes.
the birthplace of your grandparents?
I tried, but no. They were Crimean Tatars, not sure about their grave - during the Russian Empire they were expelled, and moved to the Ottoman Empire .
other relatives?
I visit my parents gravesite every year.

Yes, even ashes...

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1968 Ringo quits Beatles over a disagreement, temporarily
Birthday: 1932 Mark Russell, US satirist
Science/Technology: 1966 Lunar Orbiter 1 takes 1st photograph of Earth from Moon
Sports: 1989 Los Angeles Dodgers beat Montreal Expos, 1-0, in 22 innings (Rick Dempsey home run)
World: 1990 East and West Germany announced that they would unite on Oct 3

Today's Word:
consanguinity

Today Is:
Cuban Sandwich Day <<< yum!!
Ride The Wind Day
Sponge Cake Day
Valentino Day

Quote of the Day:
"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.” ~ Mark Russell ~ hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ...

Thank you PC!!!

Last edited by elnina; 08-23-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics