Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 AM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? If I were driving alone, or perhaps with my sister, I'd allow time for unplanned stops to see sights along the way. However, the only long road trips I've been on were with my dad when I was growing up or with my boyfriend presently. Neither liked/likes to stop along the way. Their mission is to get to the final destination as fast as possible without breaking any laws.

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Yes. On every family road trip when I was growing up, and on the one road trip I've taken with my boyfriend.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot? Yes; love to walk.
by bicycle? Not anymore.
by motorcycle? Used to love this, but haven't been on a bike in decades.
by car? Sometimes.
by bus? No, unless it's the only option.
by plane? Yes, although dealing with security now and the tiny passenger seats makes it a lot less pleasurable than it used to. Still, it's nice for far distant trips since I'm so limited on vacation time from my job.
other?

Today's Word:
peregrination
Pronunciation: (per-i-gruh-ney-shuh n)
Etymology: from O.Fr. peregrination (12c.), from L. peregrinationem (nom. peregrinatio) "a journey," from peregrinatus, pp. of peregrinari "to journey or travel abroad," from peregrinus "from foreign parts, foreigner," from peregre "abroad," properly "that found outside Roman territory," from per- (q.v.) + agri, loc. of ager "field, territory, land, country"
Meaning: noun
1. travel from one place to another, especially on foot.
2. a course of travel; journey.
Earliest Documented Use: 1528

Today Is:
Frankenstein Day
Grief Awareness Day
Holistic Pet Day
International Whale Shark Day
Slinky Day I have one.
Toasted Marshmallow Day

Quote of the Day:
"I do have certain feelings. My feeling is that whoever is in charge, I want him out.” ~ Lewis Black ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone. Tons o' fun! Happy hump day, everybody!

Have a great day!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,503 times
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? --- There's no one answer to this. Sometimes, on shorter trips, I'll build time in to explore. Other times, if I'm going to be driving for hours to get to my destination, I'll only stop for bathroom breaks.

Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? --- I have.

Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car? <----
by bus? <----
by plane? <----
other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? We have on occasion stopped along the way to a specific destination to see things especially when we still owned our popup camper.
Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? I began this reply by starting to list some then realized there are just too many and I could not distinguish roadside attractions from other types. I do stop and read roadside historical markers and have especially loved regular museums like historical museums, art museums, natural history museums, naval museums, agricultural museums and a few others both in the the U.S. and in the very few other countries I have visited.
See some examples here
Roadside Attractions - Atlas Obscura

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? Absolutely. I still regret I did not get to travel out to Easter Island while working in Chile or to Marrakech while in Morocco.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot? Yes but it gets more difficult by the day.
by bicycle? Yes but it gets more difficult by the day.
by motorcycle? Yes as long as it is not a bike so heavy I cannot pick it up but even this is getting difficult.
by car? Yes but it gets more difficult by the day.
by bus? Large road buses can be be fun but my very few bus experiences would include from central deep eastern Texas to Houston then across Texas to Amarillo when I first joined the Air Force and from Vina del Mar to Santiago in Chile while working there. I've not enjoyed city or local area bus trips anytime especially outside the U.S.
by plane? I used to love to fly and travel when I was in my 30s but I will relate this story. While working with Federal government I loved to travel and was electing to fly quite often around the U.S. and internationally to agency meetings, training sessions and to temporary work assignments. While working in South America, I happened to meet an older fellow who was a trader/buyer for one of the major American tobacco companies. On occasion in the evenings we began to have dinner together. In one of our discussions I was very surprised to learn that this fellow had traveled so much for his company that he was literally sick of flying and was more than ready to stay home.

Short story: travel can be a lot of fun when you are young and seeking adventure but too much can spoil your appetite as you get older. Then too, eight to nine hour flights are just too much physically for me to endure anymore.

Thanks for the questions PatsCat.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:11 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,686,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Time again to grab a cuppa your favorite Question beverage and have a little fun with Wednesday’s Qs.

Today's theme is, "It’s not the destination, it’s the journey. Unless it isn’t."

Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you
budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Sometimes, yes.
Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? When we can, yes.
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? A little, yes. I'd like to check out Lake Shasta but it's always evening to nighttime when we drive back from California. It's something we need to make Time for.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?
by bus?
by plane? HATE this but it's still the way to save time.
other? Amtrak

Thanx so much for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Thanks, Pats. Happy Humps!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 AM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way?
It depends on what the journey was intended to accomplish.

Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum?
Done this.

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip?
Oh yes

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot?
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car?Yep
by bus?
by plane?Only 1st or business class with TSA pre check.
other?Teleporting.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:31 PM

38,930 posts, read 22,935,370 times
Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Most of the time.
Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum? Yes.
See some examples here

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip? I usually plan to include sightseeing, so that's not an issue.

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot? <--Locally
by bicycle?
by motorcycle?
by car? <--This
by bus?
by plane? <--This
other?

Happy Hump Day!

Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,084 times
Today's Question(s):
In your travels from point A to point B, do you budget for the time to stop and take in a few extra sights along the way? Have you ever stopped to see roadside attractions, such as the world’s biggest ball of twine, a unique shop, or a crazy museum?
See some examples here

I will when I retire in December. Two trips to Santa Fe, one in Sept and one in Oct. Rush rush. Sick of it.

Bonus Question(s):
Sometimes we're just trying to get to where we're going because we have a limited amount of time, and we don't want to spend all our time getting there. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, have you ever traveled and wished you had the time to check out a few things along the trip?

Just For Fun:
Do you like to travel:
on foot? no
by bicycle?no
by motorcycle? no
by car? yes
by bus? nooo
by plane? noooo
other?

Today in History :
Arts/Entertainment: 1969 120,000 attend Texas International Pop Festival
Birthday: 1948 Lewis Black, U.S. comic
Science/Technology: 1885 13,000 meteors seen in 1 hour near Andromeda
Sports: 1991 Dan O'Brien sets U.S. decathalon record with 8,812 points

Today's Word:
peregrination
Pronunciation: (per-i-gruh-ney-shuh n)
Etymology: from O.Fr. peregrination (12c.), from L. peregrinationem (nom. peregrinatio) "a journey," from peregrinatus, pp. of peregrinari "to journey or travel abroad," from peregrinus "from foreign parts, foreigner," from peregre "abroad," properly "that found outside Roman territory," from per- (q.v.) + agri, loc. of ager "field, territory, land, country"
Meaning: noun
1. travel from one place to another, especially on foot.
2. a course of travel; journey.
Earliest Documented Use: 1528

Today Is:
Frankenstein Day
Grief Awareness Day
Holistic Pet Day
International Whale Shark Day
Slinky Day
Toasted Marshmallow Day

Quote of the Day:
"I do have certain feelings. My feeling is that whoever is in charge, I want him out.” ~ Lewis Black ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
[/b][/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics