Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,856,818 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Many issues with my electronics over the past few weeks, both laptop and phone, so I am posting the Qs from my new laptop! We’ll see if the issues have been resolved…or if it’s me. Looks like I can't embellish with cute smilies on this computer though. That makes me a little sad. I like the silliness. I'm sure there's a way, one of these smart computer savvy QOTD peeps would probably know but that's not me

Enough of that.

Today's theme is "cooking."

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking?
Hate is a strong word but - I hate it.
Do you enjoy it?
not at all
Do you just do it as a matter of habit?
It's more of a chore that has to be done, like cleaning or ironing
Is there someone else in your home who cooks?
I wish!
If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?
I cook most nights for me and my son, he doesn't live here but he saves money and eats well here even though what I cook is fairly simple. I don't care enough about it to be creative

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you?
That's a good question. No one really taught me, I picked most of it up on my own. My Dad showed me a few things but I don't cook like that(very fatty). I learned different things from different people but there was no actual "teaching" over time, mostly trial and error.
Or did you learn by doing?
Yes see above
Other?
Like I said above it was a combination, I'd learn one thing from one person like how to make brown gravy from my maternal grandmother or how to cook pork chops a certain way from one of my stepsisters. I can do pretty well following a recipe but I just can't enjoy cooking no matter how hard I try

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? no
mixer? hand mixer
blender? yes
personal “bullet” style blender? no
electric skillet? no
electric fryer? no
electric knife? no

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1980 David Bowie appears in role of 'Elephant Man' in Denver
Birthday: 1921 Rosalyn Sussman Yalow, US medical physicist (d. May 30, 2011)
Science/Technology: 1975 Apollo and Soyuz linked in orbit for 2 days, separate
Sports: 1980 22nd modern Olympic games opens in Moscow; U.S. and others boycott

Today's Word:
macerate
Pronunciation: (mas-uh-reyt)
Etymology: < Latin mācerātus (past participle of mācerāre to make soft, weaken, steep)
Meaning: verb (used with object), macerated, macerating.
1. to soften or separate into parts by steeping in a liquid.
2. to soften or decompose (food) by the action of a solvent.
3. to cause to grow thin.
verb (used without object), macerated, macerating.
4. to undergo maceration.
5. to become thin or emaciated; waste away.
Earliest Documented Use: 1540-50

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day
Hot Dog Day
Ice Cream Day

Quote of the Day:
"I feel it is now my duty to speak to young women, to encourage them to have careers and, particularly, careers in science.” ~ Rosalyn Sussman Yalow ~

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone!

Thanks Pat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 12:33 PM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Mornin' all!

Many issues with my electronics over the past few weeks, both laptop and phone, so I am posting the Qs from my new laptop! We’ll see if the issues have been resolved…or if it’s me. Looks like I can't embellish with cute smilies on this computer though. That makes me a little sad. I like the silliness. Glad to hear about your new laptop, PC. Yay! I'm willing to bet you'll figure out how to post your cute little smilies and graphics.

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? I love to cook and love watching cooking shows on TV.

Do you enjoy it? Yep; very much. Perhaps if I had raised a family and had to come up with 3 meals a day every day I wouldn't like it so much. However, it's a favorite hobby of mine and I wish I had opportunities more often to cook for company.

Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Nope. There's usually planning involved, even when cooking just for myself. I make almost everything from scratch.

Is there someone else in your home who cooks? Nope; just me.

If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home? N/A

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? My mom. Her mother refused to let her in the kitchen when she was growing up, and my mom vowed not to do that to her own kids. Mom was an excellent cook, with a good understanding of herbs and spices and what flavors work well together. She was also a very good baker and passed that skill along to my sister and me. My sis and I make some of the best homemade pies you could ever taste. Or did you learn by doing? I learned hands-on, with Mom's tutelage.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? Yep.
mixer? Yep - a hand mixer and a stand mixer.
blender? Yep, but just a small one for making smoothies.
personal “bullet” style blender? Nope.
electric skillet? Nope.
electric fryer? Nope.
electric knife? Nope.

Today's Word:
macerate
Pronunciation: (mas-uh-reyt)
Etymology: < Latin mācerātus (past participle of mācerāre to make soft, weaken, steep)
Meaning: verb (used with object), macerated, macerating.
1. to soften or separate into parts by steeping in a liquid.
2. to soften or decompose (food) by the action of a solvent.
3. to cause to grow thin.
verb (used without object), macerated, macerating.
4. to undergo maceration.
5. to become thin or emaciated; waste away.
Earliest Documented Use: 1540-50
I knew that! (Well, not the dates, but the meaning of the word. )

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day Yay! Booze!
Hot Dog Day Lots of restaurants are having hot dog giveaways today or are selling dogs for a real cheap price. If I weren't dieting I'd have one. So someone else out there in C-D Land has to have one for me.
Ice Cream Day Yay! Again, none for me today, but someday when I decide to splurge, this will be on the must-have list.

Quote of the Day:
"I feel it is now my duty to speak to young women, to encourage them to have careers and, particularly, careers in science.” ~ Rosalyn Sussman Yalow ~

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone! Fun stuff! Happy hump day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM

13,127 posts, read 3,041,486 times
Today's Question(s) :
Just fine. Do you enjoy it? Yes. Do you just do it as a matter of habit? I do it to eat. Is there someone else in your home who cooks? Not really. If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home? I am the cook and I enjoy it.

Bonus Question(s) :
Mostly self-taught.Or did you learn by doing? Mostly. Other?

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor?
How is that different from a blender?
mixer? Yes
blender? Tes.
personal “bullet” style blender? No.
electric skillet? No
electric fryer? No
electric knife? No

Old 07-19-2017, 01:54 PM

903 posts, read 591,063 times

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? - Enjoy it, but family doesn't always. :O)

Is there someone else in your home who cooks? - Cooking duties are shared between me, wife, and kids.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other?
My wife taught me most of what I know. Some stuff I have picked up. I needed egg whites once and didn't know how to do it. So I partially cooked the egg and cut away the whites. The final dish smelt very bad.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor?
mixer?
blender?
personal “bullet” style blender?
electric skillet?
electric fryer?
electric knife? Use to.

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day
Hot Dog Day - The thing I miss most since becoming a vegan. Have not found a good Vegan alternative.
Ice Cream Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone!

Have a great day,
cd :O)

Old 07-19-2017, 02:44 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,675,516 times
We’ll see if the issues have been resolved…or if it’s me.
PEBCAK?

Okay.

Today's Question(s) :
It's mostly fun.
Do you enjoy it?
Yep.
Do you just do it as a matter of habit?
As opposed to?
Is there someone else in your home who cooks?
Yep.
If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?
Mix of cooking at home and eating out.

Bonus Question(s) :
Parents initially then practice by doing.
Or did you learn by doing?
Yep.
Other?
Call the pizza place. These days go to their website.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor?
mixer?
blender?
electric skillet? Electric? No.
electric fryer?
electric knife?

Quote of the Day:
"I feel it is now my duty to speak to young women, to encourage them to have careers and,
particularly, careers in science.” ~ Rosalyn Sussman Yalow ~
You can't have too many scientists.

Thanx so much for playing!
Okay. See you on the playground.

Have a good day everyone!
You too.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,931,547 times
Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Meh. Do you enjoy it? Seldom. Do you just do it as a matter of habit? I rarely cook from scratch. Is there someone else in your home who cooks? Nope. If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home? I'm more of a scrambled egg, cereal, soup and sandwich kind of eater, with salads and pizzas thrown in for variety.

If you cook, who taught you? My mother and older sister. Or did you learn by doing? This too.

Do you have a:
food processor
mixer
blender?
electric skillet?
electric fryer?
electric knife?

Thanks PC -- sorry to hear about your computer and phone.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 PM

39,243 posts, read 23,235,816 times
Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? If I must, I will.
Do you enjoy it? It's OK.
Do you just do it as a matter of habit? I have to eat, so...
Is there someone else in your home who cooks? Yes.
If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home? Family member does more cooking than I do.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? My parents plus I experimented on my own...and lived to tell about it.
Or did you learn by doing? This, too.
Other? Food Network.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? No.
mixer? Probably stored away.
blender? Yes.
personal “bullet” style blender? No.
electric skillet? Yes but I haven't seen it in a while.
electric fryer? No.
electric knife? No.

Happy Hump Day!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:35 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,510,447 times
Many issues with my electronics over the past few weeks, both laptop and phone, so I am posting the Qs from my new laptop! We’ll see if the issues have been resolved…or if it’s me. Looks like I can't embellish with cute smilies on this computer though. That makes me a little sad. I like the silliness.

I guess it's better to have electronic issues in laptops and phones than automobiles. My grand daughter just bought a low mileage 2014 Toyota Rav4 that costs us $984 to have diagnosed and repaired (we hope) a serious electronic issue. We're hoping our next issue will not be legal costs if the Honda dealer who sold her the car under a 60-day warranty doesn't pay for the repairs.

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it? Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Is there someone else in your home who cooks? If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?
I enjoy cooking when I'm not tired. When I really cook things I usually find a recipe online to follow. My wife cooks most of the meals at our Albuquerque home but when she visits the farm, I do most of the cooking. To go out and eat at the farm adds 40 to 50 miles to the dinner table. Then you have to drive back home.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other? I read well-written recipes online to learn what I know. Then too, I was the chief cook and mechanic in the field years ago.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? No.
mixer?Yes.
blender?Yes.
personal “bullet” style blender?Yes.
electric skillet?No.
electric fryer?No.
electric knife?I think so.

Thanks PC. Good questions upon which to simmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics