Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,624,039 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all! Posting a bit early tonight; early day tomorrow.

I hope all is well with you, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack, depending on where you are on the globe. But first, have fun with the Qs!...

Today's theme is "travel stories."

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place?

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why?

Just For Fun:
Have you ever heard of/seen the following places/things:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada?
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia?
Machu Picchu, Peru?
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia?
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil?
Leshan Giant Buddha, China?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2012 The Rolling Stones, English rock band, celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of its first performance at the Marquee Club in Oxford Street, London
Birthday: 1997 Malala Yousafzai, Pakistani Activist
Science/Technology: 1988 U.S.S.R. launches Phobos II for Martian orbit
Sports: 1996 Michael Jordan signs a NBA contract for 1 year for $25 million

Today's Word:
peregrination
Pronunciation: (per-i-gruh-ney-shuh n)
Etymology: Late Middle English peregrinacioun (< Middle French peregrinacion) < Latin peregrīnātiōn- (stem of peregrīnātiō) a traveling abroad.
Meaning: noun
1. travel from one place to another, especially on foot.
2. a course of travel; journey.
Earliest Documented Use: 1425-75

Today Is:
Different Colored Eyes Day
Etch-A-Sketch Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day

Quote of the Day:
"I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." ~ Malala Yousafzai ~

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:22 PM

21,745 posts, read 8,880,895 times

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place?
I really enjoyed my visits to the Hawaiian Islands. It's so beautiful there, with the tropical breezes, air scented with flowers and gorgeous turquoise beaches. My aunt and uncle lived in Honolulu, and they were wonderful hosts. She was an artist, and some of her watercolors hang in my home. They're both gone now, but the memories remain.

Bonus Question(s):
The Northern California wine country.

Just For Fun:
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? <---- This one, and
Machu Picchu, Peru? <---- This one.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times

I hope all is well with you, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack, depending on where you are on the globe. But first, have fun with the Qs!...

Today's Question(s):
Been to the Grand Canyon. Good times.

Bonus Question(s):
The Grand Canyon. Because it's awesome.

Just For Fun:
Machu Picchu, Peru

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2012 The Rolling Stones, English rock band, celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of its first performance at the Marquee Club in Oxford Street, London

Today's Word:
peregrination
Etymology: Late Middle English peregrinacioun (< Middle French peregrinacion) < Latin peregrīnātiōn- (stem of peregrīnātiō) a traveling abroad.

Today Is:
Etch-A-Sketch Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day

Quote of the Day:
"I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." ~ Malala Yousafzai ~

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,705,520 times
Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place? I'd say our trip to Washington, D.C. My wife had to go to some meetings there with her job and I told her it would be rough but I'd go and do the sightseeing for her.
It's just one place I've always wanted to see.

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why? Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.
https://landbetweenthelakes.us/ 170,000 acres with no stores, houses, factories. Plenty of wildlife, several campgrounds, hundreds of miles of hiking and biking trails, two lakes with plenty of fishing, swimming and boating.

Just For Fun:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada? Heard of
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? Heard of
Machu Picchu, Peru? Heard of
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? Heard of
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? Hadn't heard of
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? Heard of

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,498,359 times
I have so many good memories of trips away from home over many years. I have visited many countries, and chatted with lots of folks.

Of all the places I have been, the one place that remains in my heart is a village on the island of Rhodes. The Greek people are the friendliest I have ever met.

The village is called Afandou. I discovered it by accident about 30 years ago. I was in a travel agent looking for a cheap holiday, and a trip to Rhodes came up. I went alone that first time, but decided to return with my wife Judy in about 1994.

We walked through the village that first day, and were greeted by smiling villagers sat outside their homes. We came across a bar run by a guy called Dimitris and his brother Mike. It was in the village square next to the church.

Tourists and locals would gather in the bar at night, and the more who came, the more seats and tables Dimitris put out in the street. It was a fabulous atmosphere, and Dimitris and Mike would make us laugh with jokes, and even some Greek dancing when they were in the mood.

We would all sit there under the stars watching the local people wandering about the streets. We became good friends with the two brothers, and as the years passed we got to know more and more about each other.

In recent years, times have grown harder for the village of Afandou, and it's inhabitants. Lots of the shops have closed down, and money is scarcer these days. A few years ago, we visited during Greek Easter. There were going to be songs sung by villagers outside the church that night.

We sat with Dimitris watching the villagers gathering outside the church. Mike arrived with candles for us all to carry. We lit them, and walked over to the church. The local priest made a speech, and then the singing began. It was electrifying in the dark, with the singing, and all those lit candles. We knew we were witnessing something very personal to the village, and grateful to be invited to stand among all those wonderful people.

At the end, everyone walked away to their homes with their lit candles in their hands. That night, I loved that village, and it's inhabitants more than I can say. A little piece of my heart will always remain there.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,498,359 times
Thanks to all for the nice reps coming in for my post about Afandou. Here is 'Papa Oozo' leading some locals and tourists in a dance in the village square. Judy has danced with him, and boy, he is energetic for an old guy...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nw6-AqhQi0

Old 07-12-2017, 01:11 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,048,217 times

Today's Question(s):
For a couple years work had me going to Baltimore several times. On my days off I often would go somewhere. Got to see museums, parks, went to Atlantic City, New York City, many civil war battlefields and many other places. From Baltimore I often got sent to Europe.

Bonus Question(s):
I would suggest heading off the beaten path away from the crowds. Maybe get a motel located off some secondary highway in the mountains. Not a lot of time for driving so plan somewhere within 150 miles of home.

Just For Fun:
Machu Picchu, Peru?
I have heard of the first three. Never been to any of them.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 AM

11,450 posts, read 9,405,182 times
Today's Question(s):

Bonus Question(s):

I'm not very well traveled. Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Gatlinburg, TN is one place I'd like to visit someday. I think it will happen.

I like to go mountain hiking so the top 3 areas (not in order) I have been and recommend are Northern California, Vermont, and New Hampshire.

Just relaxing I pick Niagara Falls (Canada side) and La Jolla, CA.

Just For Fun:
- Only heard of this one from the list
Machu Picchu, Peru?

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,266,341 times
beach house, vacation trip with other members of the swim team

at the beach, it's great

snorkeling the great barrier reef was amazing

Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 AM

126,540 posts, read 19,292,982 times

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place? I love visiting my homeland Germany especially Bavaria. I have property there so I visit regularly. I also have my best friend living there as well relatives and family members.

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why? Cape Breton or the Canadian Rocky Mountains or the old part of Quebec.

Just For Fun:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada? Yes I visited years ago and will visited late summer one more time. Really beautiful.
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? Would love to see them
Machu Picchu, Peru? No I have not been there
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? No
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? No
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? Yes I read about it

Today in History:

Today's Word:
peregrination

Today Is:
Etch-A-Sketch Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day

Quote of the Day:
"I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." ~ Malala Yousafzai ~ ....a very powerful and great quote

Thank you PatsCats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics