Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 AM

37,872 posts, read 41,298,274 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it? Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Is there someone else in your home who cooks? If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?

Eat take out more than anything else. It's just me. When I do cook, I cook simply.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other?

Learned by doing.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor?
mixer?
blender?
personal “bullet” style blender?
electric skillet?
electric fryer?
electric knife?

No to all of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,335,925 times
[quote=PatsCats;48886184]Mornin' all!

Many issues with my electronics over the past few weeks, both laptop and phone, so I am posting the Qs from my new laptop! We’ll see if the issues have been resolved…or if it’s me. Looks like I can't embellish with cute smilies on this computer though. That makes me a little sad. I like the silliness.

Enough of that.

Today's theme is "cooking."

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it? Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Is there someone else in your home who cooks? If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?

Cooking in my life is like a good marriage that just wore itself out. Nobody taught me, but after about eight years I could cook some really great dinners, and enjoyed it. Then the bloom was off the rose, and I began to eat a big lunch somewhere near work, and "dinner" was the exact same boil-in-a-bag meal for years and years. (I kid you not.) On rare occasions I would resurrect my cooking skills for a show-off dinner.....otherwise I just roamed the streets looking for road-kill. I was disabled for about six years in the 90's and I cooked a bit, but a fabulous Chinese restaurant and take-out with an endless menu opened on the corner, so at the cat's request I simply relied on them. In retirement in Europe I eat breakfast and lunch (a dinner meal actually) at a cafe, and something quick and one-dish at home at night. There is a really great Portuguese take-out in the next building that I use a lot.

I eat very little beef, probably less pork as I have four stents.

Bonus Question(s) :

Just learn by doing, took about eight years before I had the know-how to walk into a kitchen and make magic.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? no
mixer? no
blender? no
personal “bullet” style blender? no
electric skillet? no
electric fryer? no
electric knife? no

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1980 David Bowie appears in role of 'Elephant Man' in Denver
Birthday: 1921 Rosalyn Sussman Yalow, US medical physicist (d. May 30, 2011)
Science/Technology: 1975 Apollo and Soyuz linked in orbit for 2 days, separate
Sports: 1980 22nd modern Olympic games opens in Moscow; U.S. and others boycott

Today's Word:
macerate
Pronunciation: (mas-uh-reyt)
Etymology: < Latin mācerātus (past participle of mācerāre to make soft, weaken, steep)
Meaning: verb (used with object), macerated, macerating.
1. to soften or separate into parts by steeping in a liquid.
2. to soften or decompose (food) by the action of a solvent.
3. to cause to grow thin.
verb (used without object), macerated, macerating.
4. to undergo maceration.
5. to become thin or emaciated; waste away.
Earliest Documented Use: 1540-50

This is one of those words that when people have used it I say "mmmm" and nod as if I am in on the joke.

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day
Hot Dog Day
Ice Cream Day

Quote of the Day:
"I feel it is now my duty to speak to young women, to encourage them to have careers and, particularly, careers in science.” ~ Rosalyn Sussman Yalow ~

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone!

Obrigado, you to.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 AM

126,541 posts, read 19,299,492 times
Mornin' all!

Many issues with my electronics over the past few weeks, both laptop and phone, so I am posting the Qs from my new laptop! We’ll see if the issues have been resolved…or if it’s me. Looks like I can't embellish with cute smilies on this computer though. That makes me a little sad. I like the silliness.

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Absolutely LOVE it Do you enjoy it? Yes Do you just do it as a matter of habit? No I always enjoyed cooking,experimenting with a new dish Is there someone else in your home who cooks? All my kids cook very well but have their own homes now. My husband
makes amazing parathas filled with lentils or vegetable,otherwise he does the dishes
If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? My paternal grandmother and my mother had the greatest influence in my European cooking,while my late mother in law taught me all about the Punjabi cuisine Or did you learn by doing? Other?

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? Yes I do
mixer? Yes
blender? Yes
personal “bullet” style blender? I used to but gave it to someone
electric skillet? No
electric fryer? No
electric knife? Used to have one but gave it away to someone

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1980 David Bowie appears in role of 'Elephant Man' in Denver

Today's Word:
macerate
Etymology: < Latin mācerātus (past participle of mācerāre to make soft, weaken, steep)

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day
Hot Dog Day
Ice Cream Day

Quote of the Day:
"I feel it is now my duty to speak to young women, to encourage them to have careers and, particularly, careers in science.” ~ Rosalyn Sussman Yalow ~

Thank you PatsCats

Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,248,473 times
I want some thunderstorms!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :

I enjoy it...good thing because it has got to be done sometimes.

Bonus Question(s) :

Well I picked it up since childhood I guess because there were grandparents cooking and showing me all sorts of stuff...so I liked it and now I do pretty good (enough to feed myself).

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? No
mixer? Hand mixer.
blender? Yeah, I have two; one is norm and one is new...and tropically, colored fun.
personal “bullitt” style blender? No, though I did think Steve McQueen was cool!
electric skillet? Yes and it is crap.
electric fryer? Yep and do not use it.
electric knife? Nopey

Today in History:

Today's Word:
macerate

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day
Hot Dog Day
Ice Cream Day

Quote of the Day:

Thank you and I hope your new laptop gets better for you.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 AM

7,449 posts, read 5,556,724 times
[b]Mornin' all!

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it? Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Is there someone else in your home who cooks? If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home? I like to cook and bake.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other? I taught myself. I've learned a lot from other people who are good cooks and bakers and from tips on cooking shows.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor?
mixer?
blender?
electric skillet?
electric fryer?
electric knife?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:53 AM

19,728 posts, read 10,556,774 times
Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other? my dad!

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? yes
mixer? yes
blender? no
personal “bullet” style blender? no
electric skillet? yes
electric fryer? yes
electric knife? yes

Old 07-19-2017, 08:07 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,880,811 times
Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? I like baking more. Do you enjoy it? Sometimes Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Sometimes Is there someone else in your home who cooks? I live alone and seldom eat out; never order in.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other? We had a neighborhood 4-H club with several moms teaching skills like cooking, sewing, knitting. My mother wasn't especially good at any of these, so she taught us about our community. Back to the question.... I am far from a "foodie," and don't understand how people can spend $$$ on a meal, no matter how good. I sometimes get stuck in a rut, repeatedly cooking similar meals for myself. I enjoy it more when cooking for others. Then I'll look for interesting recipes based on people's taste.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? A small processor
mixer? Hand mixer only
blender? I think there's one in storage, haven't used in years.
personal “bullet” style blender? Have
electric skillet? Never replaced one we had years ago
electric fryer? No
electric knife? Again, never replaced

Quote of the Day:

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone! Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM

24,697 posts, read 26,288,564 times
Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking?
It's cool, I just don't do it.

Do you enjoy it?
I enjoy the meals the Super Chief makes.

Do you just do it as a matter of habit?
N/A

Is there someone else in your home who cooks?
Yep, The Super Chief who is also a Super Chef.

If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home?
I don't cook, I eat what the Super Chef prepares.

Bonus Question(s) :
N/A

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor?
mixer?
blender?
electric skillet?
electric fryer?
electric knife?

Thanx PtsCats, have fun with the new putter.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,900,311 times
[quote=PatsCats;48886184]Mornin' all!

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :
I swear I spent half of my life in the kitchen. I would always cook a full meal before I went to work and make lunches for the next day at work. Now I cook for my dogs That takes a of time. Do I like cooking? Actually I hate it. I just happen to be pretty good at it and it's the best way to eat healthy. John actually got pretty good at it when I was still working and he was my man wife for two wonderful years.

Bonus Question(s) :
I had a friend when I was younger that gave me some cooking tips but I'm pretty much self taught.
Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? Nope
mixer? Yes
blender? Yes
personal “bullet” style blender? No
electric skillet? No
electric fryer? No
electric knife? Yes

Today in History:

Today's Word:
macerate

Today Is:
Daiquiri Day
Hot Dog Day
Ice Cream Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks Pat. I'm sure it will be better then yesterday. I was up early for John's colonoscopy. (one tiny polyp and nothing to worry about.) By the time I got in from my bike ride and went to sleep I was up for 21 hours. My cardiologist would not be amused.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:48 AM

3,112 posts, read 1,718,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Enough of that.

Today's Question(s) :
How do you feel about cooking? Do you enjoy it? Do you just do it as a matter of habit? Is there someone else in your home who cooks? If you don’t cook, what do you generally eat, or who does the cooking in your home? My husband is the cook. That was an arrangement made long ago. I do not like to except for the rare occasion when the mood hits me. We eat a lot of basic old-style goodies like stews, pastas, chili, stuffed peppers, etc. Lately, though, we've been more into soups 'n' sandwiches. Summer food is usually bbq but we don't have one right now.

Bonus Question(s) :
If you cook, who taught you? Or did you learn by doing? Other? Actually, my first husband. I learned other stuff on my own after that.

Just For Fun:
Do you have a:
food processor? Yes
mixer? Yes
blender? Yes
electric skillet? Yes, my mothers, used only once. Should dig it out.
electric fryer? Yes
electric knife? Yes

Happy Humps, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics