Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:21 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times

Advertisements

Pennies......

I saw a penny, but I didn't make it mine,
although it illuminated that newly minted shine.
What if someone saw me, worried about one cent?!
Why, it's hardly anything; it couldn't pay the rent!
Then I found a dime and a nickel~
and picked them up, without being fickle.
At once I realized the error of my ways,
that passing on a penny is a crime that never pays!
I would have been once cent richer,
had I only seen the bigger picture.
Life's lesson taught, Life's lesson learned~
a penny saved is a penny earned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:49 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post

nilssson, thanks for putting in your worth.

I knew it was mint to be.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:22 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Yes I always pick up pennies, they still spend

Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
Sheesh! Thanks for telling everyone AksarbeN, I'm gonna have to PULL the photo below that you sent me for the Whose City is it contest now that you told this to everyone

***Disclaimer*** I had to bleep out that last couple letters on the sign - maybe not PG-13 enough for City Data (so bleeped them out just to be safe)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

There’s always loose change on the ground in and near a nudist colony. Seems there’s nowhere to for them to put it. This is where that AARP fanny pack comes in handy.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 PM

167 posts, read 258,454 times
I always pick up pennies mostly because of something my grandmother taught me. She told us a story that went something like....

A rich old man was going into a resturant with his family when he saw a penny on the ground. He stop and stared at it for a minute and then he smiled while picking up the penny. He put the penny in his pocket and walked on into the resturant. A women, who was dinning with them for the first time, noticed the way that he stared at the penny and then smiled before picking up the penny was thinking with all of the money that the old man had he surely wouldn't pick the penny up. Later on during the dinner conversation she finally said to the old man, I noticed that when you saw the penny on the ground you stared at it for a minute before picking it up and I was wondering why you did. The old man smiled at the young women and told her that he was taught that because all of our coins are printed with In God We Trust I make sure that my heart is in the right place and that I am trusting God when I pick up any coin that I find. I am thankful for finding the coins in my life that I know God has put in my path. It keeps my heart in the right place and it also makes me think about the Trust I have in God.

That's not exact but close to what my Grandmother taught us. When ever I find a coin, I try and do the same thing, and I can never find a coin with out thinking of her, and making sure that it is God I'm trusting.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie07 View Post
I always pick up pennies mostly because of something my grandmother taught me. She told us a story that went something like....

A rich old man was going into a resturant with his family when he saw a penny on the ground. He stop and stared at it for a minute and then he smiled while picking up the penny. He put the penny in his pocket and walked on into the resturant. A women, who was dinning with them for the first time, noticed the way that he stared at the penny and then smiled before picking up the penny was thinking with all of the money that the old man had he surely wouldn't pick the penny up. Later on during the dinner conversation she finally said to the old man, I noticed that when you saw the penny on the ground you stared at it for a minute before picking it up and I was wondering why you did. The old man smiled at the young women and told her that he was taught that because all of our coins are printed with In God We Trust I make sure that my heart is in the right place and that I am trusting God when I pick up any coin that I find. I am thankful for finding the coins in my life that I know God has put in my path. It keeps my heart in the right place and it also makes me think about the Trust I have in God.

That's not exact but close to what my Grandmother taught us. When ever I find a coin, I try and do the same thing, and I can never find a coin with out thinking of her, and making sure that it is God I'm trusting.
I've heard this story before too, another great reason to pick up the pennies.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
I would like to pick up a penny but I'm a loafer. But given the heads up, I probably would, especially if there's no copper around that could tail me. It does make cents. I once parked my Lincoln over a penny and it got pinched, to coin a phrase. Gosh, if I had a nickel for every penny I've picked up. Change can be good but it may not make a dime's worth of difference, and I don't mean to be flip just because I give no quarter.
"Copper"? The young whippersnappers nowadays probably have never heard that term for the police used... GREAT post!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I always pick up pennies. My grandmother told me when I was a little girl that if you find a penny, put it in your shoe and you'll have good luck. I always think of my grandma whenever I find a penny.
Brides would put a penny in their shoe as part of the something old, something new and so on

I have the penny my mother used when she got married. So when we got married I had that one in one shoe and one from 2003 the year we got married in the other.

Since she & my dad passed away many years ago it meant a lot to have the same penny she used at their wedding at mine.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Do I pick up Pennies? Hell no, I'm the one who is dropping the pennies. I can't stand those little copper menaces. What can you buy for a penny? Nothing! Get rid of them.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
you know we could send all of our pennies to Magnum Mike
so he would have something to do when he is sent to his room
he call roll them and send them back to us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics