Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:48 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,254,719 times

Advertisements

yes, some modern, but mostly oldies... Bach's Goldberg Variations

yes, cooler in the morning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 03:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,321,808 times
[quote=PatsCats;45556992]
Today's Question(s):
Are you a fan of music? If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else? What is one song that you really like, and who sings it?

I love music - pop, jazz & classical - and it is a major part of enjoying each day. As for modern pop: rap quickly wore itself out for me, hip-hop didn't make it and I find that too many mainstream singers (mostly white for some reason) have voices that are thin, nasal and whiny to my ears. Rather odd considering they don't usually speak as annoying as they sing.

Though I was a white kid from a small town, I got caught up in rhythm n blues in the early Fifties as it was first being broadcast to white adolescent listeners in some areas. I continued to love RnR, soul, Motown, funk and disco in preference to the mainstream music intended for a different demographic. I still like much of it and use it in playlists often.

In the late Eighties my tastes rapidly shot away from current American music to Brazilian MPB, Luso-African music, and then Greek pop, various forms of Arab pop and traditional, Bollywood and other more traditional Indian stuff.

I love making long playlists for my iPod and the the pop ones are a mix of the above, with a much smaller number of things plucked out from other past U.S. genres...but people as different as Joan Baez, Mabel Mercer, Andy Gibb, etc. show up from time to time in the right place.

Here is a guy that I really enjoy - though he isn't typical of what I would play, a quirky Italian who goofs around with American boogie-woogie a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCc_rqwDiFo

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet? Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live? If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight?

The changes are gradual and more subtle here. What I notice is the early mornings have become really chilly, and the sun comes in at a lower angle and is very intense.

It is still dry and the hills in the distance are now mostly black because they were burned out in a series of wildfires a couple of weeks ago. It is still the wasting of summer, and until rains come again the landscape will not green up much.

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
When was the last time you saw a:
dentist? Often at the local cafe...and as I have to admit each time, not elsewhere.
optometrist/ophthalmoligist? Next week, I promise
general practitioner? Months
other? Orthopaedic surgeon for two injections. He is a Portuguese doctor and he read Moby Dick as a young man (in English.) I was born and raised in the U.S. and avoided every trap that would require me to read it. We have discussed this irony, and ever since my orthopaedic visits seem to include allusions to whales and associated topics. I mean things like, "That's a whale of a swelling," accompanied by a sly smile, I feel harpooned each time.

Quote of the Day:
"Leaders should lead as far as they can and then vanish. Their ashes should not choke the fire they have lit." ~ H.G. Wells ~

Too many leaders seem adept at choking the fire they haven't lit.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:59 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,675,083 times
Are you a fan of music? If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else? What is one song that you really like, and who sings it?yes I'm a music fan and like a lot of different genres. Song in my head this morning is Waterloo sunset by the kinks.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet? Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live? If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight?yes I've noticed trees and air and light changing

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
dentist?
optometrist/ophthalmoligist?
general practitioner?
other?saw my medical oncologist Friday but need to find a regular doctor/dentist down here - been too long

thanks and have a great day everyone!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,877,050 times
Mornin' all! Morning!

It's that time again! Put your thinking caps on, and think about these questions...

Today's Question(s):
Are you a fan of music? If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else? What is one song that you really like, and who sings it? Love, love music. Jazz, Blues, Rock, Classical...... some Country. Growing up, we weren't allowed to listen to pop music & listened to Nat King Cole, Sinatra, big band music. I still listen. In college, early 70s, many friends listened to music from the 50s. A friend's son was a jazz drummer and he introduced me to Elvin Jones, Coltrane, Miles Davis..... Love classical & have seen Yo-yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman.... I could go on.....One song? Can't. I think this morning I'd like to listen to Yo-Yo Ma play six cello suites by Bach.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet? Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live? If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight? There's a definite change in the quality of light.... and the amount of daylight. Some leaves are changing. Chilly in the morning, but yesterday afternoon felt like mid summer.

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
dentist? Five months ago
optometrist/ophthalmoligist? I go every two years. I think it's about time to go again.
general practitioner? Last November
other?

Quote of the Day:
"Leaders should lead as far as they can and then vanish. Their ashes should not choke the fire they have lit." ~ H.G. Wells ~ Could be said about parents, teachers....

Have a good day everyone! Thanks!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:17 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,977,805 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you a fan of music? Very much soIf so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else?I like all kinds of music. I tend to listen to just about anything. What is one song that you really like, and who sings it?Right now I am on a Childish Gambino kick. My current favorite song of his is called Sober.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx96Twg-Aew

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet?Where I currently live yes. Where I use to live no. Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live?The change of seasons where I currently live is pretty noticeable. If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight?

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
dentist?6 months ago
optometrist/ophthalmoligist?One year ago.
general practitioner?6 months ago.
other?

Old 09-21-2016, 05:55 AM

126,522 posts, read 19,268,793 times
Mornin' all!

It's that time again! Put your thinking caps on, and think about these questions...

Today's Question(s):
Are you a fan of music? If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else? What is one song that you really like, and who sings it? I love music from different countries,like classical music,country,folk music,easy listening.Hard to choose at the moment..Shania Twain - From This Moment On

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet? Yes there is definitely fall in the forest/fields and meadowsOr are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live? If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight? Yes getting dark earlier and I did see last Sunday leaves slowly changing colors.Autumn foliage is one of the saving graces of this special season

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
dentist? Last night
optometrist/ophthalmoligist? June
general practitioner? Spring
other?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1866 H.G. Wells, English author in Literature & Fiction, Science Fiction & Fantasy, History (d. 08-13-1946)
Arts/Entertainment: 1973 Jackson Pollock's painting "Blue Poles" sold for $2,000,000
Sports: 1997 New York Yankee Cecil Fielder hits his 300th home run
Science/Technology: 2014 NASA Mars probe MAVEN is on track to enter the planet's orbit after a 10-month journey; the probe will collect data for a year on the upper Martian atmosphere to potentially answer questions about climate change on the planet

Today’s Word:
ubermensch
Pronunciation: (OO-buhr-mensch)
Meaning: noun:
An ideal man; also used ironically.
Etymology: From German Übermensch (superman), from über (over) + Mensch (man). In Nietzschean philosophy, an Übermensch is an ideal superior being.
Earliest documented use: 1902.

Today is:
International Banana Festival
International Peace Day
Miniature Golf Day
National Pecan Cookie Day
National Rehabilitation Day
School Backpack Awareness Day
World's Alzheimer's Day
World Gratitude Day

Quote of the Day:
"Leaders should lead as far as they can and then vanish. Their ashes should not choke the fire they have lit." ~ H.G. Wells ~

Have a good day everyone!

Thank you PatsCats

Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Of course I like music, and don't know anyone who doesn't. I have a big variety of different types of music downloaded. The only type I don't care for is violent rap, or satanic artist types, like Ozzy or Marilyn Manson.
As of right now my favorite song is I'll See You Again by Carrie Underwood.
Happy Wednesday everyone!

Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,599,958 times
Are you a fan of music?

Sure but nearly as much as I used to be for some reason.

If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else

I still like the music of my youth (70's) but heard it a million times.

What is one song that you really like, and who sings it?

I finally broke down and bought Pearl Jam's Greatest Hits and can't stop listening to Better Man. If you think it gets too loud you are too old!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbpUfWz-rlc

Have you noticed the changing of the season yet?

Sure

Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live?

Subtle like noticably cooler mornings and shorter days.

If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight?

Where my recliner sits this time of year as the leaves thin and the sun angle changes I notice a blinding sunrise in the morning now. Happens every year.

dentist?
Just reminding myself I'm due, been over year.

optometrist/ophthalmoligist?
Nah, had laser surgery

general practitioner?

A year ago

Other?

no

Have a good day everyone! [/quote]

Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM

7,445 posts, read 5,547,080 times
Mornin' all! [/b]

Today's Question(s):
Are you a fan of music? If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else? What is one song that you really like, and who sings it? I like music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I like a lot of songs. One of my favorites is Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet? Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live? If the changes are small, have you noticed the changing amount of daylight?
It should be cool here but so far it's still like summer, upper 80's and humid. It gets dark around 7:00.

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
dentist? two years ago
optometrist/ophthalmoligist? can't remember.
general practitioner? January
other? Dermatologist, in the Spring.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:58 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,849,704 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Are you a fan of music?
Oh yes, it's been a lifesaver for me
If so, do you like modern music, more of the kind of music that was popular when you were younger, or something else?

I love mostly 60's through now rock/pop music, hate rap, jazz and country for the most part but I can tolerate some country. I'm not opposed to almost anything else.

What is one song that you really like, and who sings it?

I've posted this before but it's a great song called Run by Collective Soul, love the strings, and guitars/drums together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUrGG66KpQ

Bonus Question(s):
Have you noticed the changing of the season yet?
A little bit but with the drought the leaves are just dropping without changing colors
Or are the changes more subtle, or virtually nonexistent where you live?
The grass is turning brown but I think that is more due to drought than change of seasons
If the changes are small, have you noticed the
changing amount of daylight?
I have noticed that, it used to stay light until 9ish now it's dark by eight

Just for Fun:
Check up time!
dentist? couple months ago
optometrist/ophthalmoligist? one year ago
general practitioner? couple months
other?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1866 H.G. Wells, English author in Literature & Fiction, Science Fiction & Fantasy, History (d. 08-13-1946)
Arts/Entertainment: 1973 Jackson Pollock's painting "Blue Poles" sold for $2,000,000
Sports: 1997 New York Yankee Cecil Fielder hits his 300th home run
Science/Technology: 2014 NASA Mars probe MAVEN is on track to enter the planet's orbit after a 10-month journey; the probe will collect data for a year on the upper Martian atmosphere to potentially answer questions about climate change on the planet

Today’s Word:
ubermensch
Pronunciation: (OO-buhr-mensch)
Meaning: noun:
An ideal man; also used ironically.
Etymology: From German Übermensch (superman), from über (over) + Mensch (man). In Nietzschean philosophy, an Übermensch is an ideal superior being.
Earliest documented use: 1902.

Today is:
International Banana Festival meh
International Peace Day
Miniature Golf Day
National Pecan Cookie Day
National Rehabilitation Day
School Backpack Awareness Day
World's Alzheimer's Day
World Gratitude Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a good day everyone!

Thanks Pat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics