Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,625,907 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Time to have a little fun. So grab a cuppa, and sit for a bit and ponder the following...

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like?
What color(s)/exterior material?
What kind of porch would it have?
How many bedrooms?
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub?
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.?
Other interior features?
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on?
What's in your yard?
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall?
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1917 Sydney J. Harris, English-born U.S. Writer (d. December 7, 1986)
Arts/Entertainment: 1984 1st MTV awards-Bette Midler and Dan Aykroyd host
Medicine: 1956 1st prefrontal lobotomy performed, Washington D.C.
Sports: 1997 Chicago Whites Sox retire Carlton Fisk's number, 72
Science/Technology: 1974 Charles Kowal discovers Leda, 13th satellite of Jupiter

Today’s Word:
revenant
Pronunciation: (REV-uh-nuhnt)
Meaning: noun:
A person who returns after a long absence or supposedly from the death.
Etymology: From French revenant (ghost), from revenir (to return), from Latin re- (again) + venire (to come).
Earliest documented use: 1823.

Today is:
Eat a Hoagie Day
National Kreme Filled Donut Day

Quote of the Day:
"The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, 'I was wrong'." ~ Sydney J. Harris ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:12 AM

39,271 posts, read 23,266,418 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? Single-story, ranch-style home with a red-tiled terra cotta roof which you see often in this part of the country.
What color(s)/exterior material? Light brown or tan stucco.
What kind of porch would it have? Not a very big one.
How many bedrooms? 3.
How many bathrooms? 2. Any special kind of shower/tub? Walk-in showers, jacuzzi tub in the master bath.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? Just one.
Other interior features? Cathedral ceilings in the living room, family room and master bedroom, hardwood flooring, granite countertops in the kitchen.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? It will be at the end of a cul-de-sac, so however expansive that piece of land is.
What's in your yard? Manicured lawn, stone pavers leading to the front door, a front courtyard, a palm tree or 2, gardenia, jasmine or rose bushes.
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? Bird bath or bird house in the backyard.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?
None of the above.^^^

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? No, not that I can recall.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Dennis P; 09-14-2016 at 12:21 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:15 AM

3,117 posts, read 1,722,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Time to have a little fun. So grab a cuppa, and sit for a bit and ponder the following...

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? Single-level with, mostly, large rooms. Spanish-style, perhaps, or a cool art deco style.
What color(s)/exterior material? A light blue or mint green.
What kind of porch would it have? None out front for sitting; it's a large deck in the back that I would vie for.
How many bedrooms? 3, and one would be an office.
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? 2. The master bath would have a good Jacuzzi.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? One office and one large family room that we could use for a number of things.
Other interior features? Heat pump system and a pellet stove. A large walk-in closet and plenty of storage, including the kitchen.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? A half-acre would be nice.
What's in your yard? A shed, mini-greenhouse, and a workshop. Hmmm... maybe a half-acre isn't enough?
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? Gardens, both edibles and flowers. A soothing fountain.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? No.
a globe? 2
an atlas? A few.
a compass? Yes.
a map in your car? Yes.
GPS? Yes.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall? But never as an adult, I swear.

'Wishing everyone a fun Hump Day.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,308,535 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like?
What color(s)/exterior material? Wood or brick.....
What kind of porch would it have? Wrap around with a large balcony upstairs.
How many bedrooms? 4
Fully tiled shower bath enclosures With glass blocks on exterior wall.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? 3
Other interior features? A large fully equipped safe room and a hidden closet or two.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? 20 acres
What's in your yard? Gardens, flowers and a large raised vegetable garden. Large patio and covered gazebo, pond stocked with koi a running brook with a small waterfall.
Some really fast and snazzy sports cars in the 4 car garage.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS? cell phone..

Just for Fun:
Have you ever "left your mark" anywhere, such as carved your initials in a tree, written your name in wet cement, or written on a bathroom wall?

Today in History:
Science/Technology: 1974 Charles Kowal discovers Leda, 13th satellite of Jupiter

Today’s Word:
revenant
Etymology: From French revenant (ghost), from revenir (to return), from Latin re- (again) + venire (to come).

Today is:
Eat a Hoagie Day

Quote of the Day:
"The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, 'I was wrong'." ~ Sydney J. Harris ~

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 09-14-2016 at 12:34 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:25 AM
bjh

60,571 posts, read 30,709,260 times
Time to have a little fun. So grab a cuppa (water), and sit for a bit and ponder the following...

Today's Question(s):
What color(s)/exterior material? Brick or stone.
What kind of porch would it have? Not big on porches. Enough room for a couple of people to sit and watch the world go by.
How many bedrooms? 5
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? 6 and 1/2, one for each bedroom, one for visitors and a half bath near the most used entry way for those special, just got home and gotta go times.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? An office, a gym, a recording studio, an indoor swimming pool - yep, no limits, right?
Other interior features? Pizza oven in the kitchen
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? Between 10 and 20 acres, partially wooded, partially grazing land for the horses.
What's in your yard? Well, a horse stable to begin with. A garage for all the cars. An outdoor swimming pool.
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? An airplane hangar? Nah, we'll just charter jets when we need them.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas? Several.
a compass?
a map in your car? A couple, state of Tenn and St. Louis, Mo.
GPS? Stars and sextant.

Just for Fun:
I carved my name in the wood of a pier over the ocean once. I've vandalized concrete with my initials.

Last edited by bjh; 09-14-2016 at 12:44 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 5,473,396 times
Good Morning...

Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? Cape Cod'ish looking
What color(s)/exterior material? Baby blue siding, white trim
What kind of porch would it have? wrap around porch on the first level, a balcony off my bedroom upstairs
How many bedrooms? 4
How many bathrooms? 2.5 Any special kind of shower/tub?
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? 3, study, office, library
Other interior features? Big kitchen
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? 2 acres
What's in your yard? Trees

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS? my iPhone's GPS

Just for Fun:

Today in History:

Today is:
Eat a Hoagie Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a wacky Wednesday!

Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,872,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s): *
How many bedrooms?
Other interior features?
What's in your yard?
* Not interested at all in trying to find/build/dream of anything other than what we already have, been there, done that enough for several lifetimes.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?

Just for Fun:
We all (as a family) left our initials on the wall of this little wooden structure overlooking the Pacific Ocean when in Oregon driving around sightseeing. While we could see this place from the bottom on the hill/mountain, it took us awhile to find it at the top, so we christened it when we did as had many before us. We need to make a trip back one of these days soon & see if we can find it again.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
revenant

Today is:
Eat a Hoagie Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats for Wednesday's QotD, good job!

Enjoy All!

Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 AM

11,456 posts, read 9,424,921 times
Today's Question(s):
How many bedrooms?
Other interior features?
What's in your yard?

As mentioned previously I am color blind. It's been a drag going through life like that.

Also mentioned that I have no desire for a big house or a lot of land. I'd rather give the money away to people who really need it. I can think of a few who post regularly on the QOTD that I wish I could help out. It's in my heart to do so. Also, even though I am pet free I'd like to do something to increase funding for shelters.

The only thing I'd want is a bigger kitchen and bathroom, especially the kitchen because I love to cook. No more than 2 bedrooms, a small office, and outside space for furniture and a garage. I've never been in a hammock so maybe experience that. All would be very modest regardless how much money I had.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a globe?
an atlas?
a compass?
a map in your car?
GPS?

I especially do not want the latter.

From the above list I have paper maps in my car that I have not used in a long time.

Just for Fun:
- Never.

Thanks, PatsCats
Happy Wednesday to all!
It's going to be very hot here (100 degrees / 38C heat index) but at least I have the day off.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:51 AM

21,760 posts, read 8,905,580 times
Today's Question(s):
If money were no object and you could build the house of your dreams, what would it look like? It would be a 1920s style bungalow all on one level and with a front porch that has a swing. It would have a mountain cabin ambiance.
What color(s)/exterior material? Something earthy and woody, I guess. Brown or beige with forest green or tomato red colored trim for contrast.
What kind of porch would it have? One with pillars that wraps around.
How many bedrooms? Three
How many bathrooms? Any special kind of shower/tub? Two or two and a half.
How many extra rooms for, say, an office, a studio, etc.? Two. One guest room, one office/den.
Other interior features? Hardwood floors and oak trim. Maybe one of those glass-fronted built in china cabinets in the dining room. Gas stove in the kitchen and lots of counter and cabinet space.
What about the land? How big is the piece of property your dream house sits on? It doesn't have to be very big.
What's in your yard? Drought-tolerant, easy maintenance landscaping.
Anything else you'd like to have in your house/yard? A piano. I don't play, but I've always wanted a piano.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you have:
a map (of anywhere) on the wall? We have lots of maps, but none are on the wall.
a globe? No
an atlas? Yes, at least two
a compass? Yes, and there's a built-in compass in my phone.
a map in your car? It has navigation, but when we travel we take a paper map, too.
GPS? Yes, in my cell phone, iPad and the car

Just for Fun:
No, but I have enjoyed some witty graffiti that I've seen in bathroom stalls, especially in college towns.

Thanks, Pat!

Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,279,428 times
gingerbread
frosting
chocolate cake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics