Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,466,587 times

Advertisements

Ok, we all know that a lesson learned can also be a lesson taught.

We also know, if you read my thread, that I have a shocking personality.

If you also have a shocking personality, my lesson learned, is your lesson earned today.

OK. I was in the store and I was trying on a jacket. Sweatshirt material. I also had my mp3 player on, buds in my ears.

OUCH! Static electricity. The hair on my arms stood up as the zipper met with the cord to my mp3 and the inside of my left ear... was shocked...

ddzzzttt

Don't try that at home on purpose.

What is a lesson learned by you? Any givers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,972,279 times
"Ddzzzttt" lol!

My pearl of wisdom would be to never defrost your refrigerator's freezer using a blunt instrument (hammer) and a sharp object (screwdriver) to chip away at the ice build-up.

In my early years of marriage I thought I'd be handy one morning and decided to defrost the fridge. I hadn't properly learned the art of patience and figured I could make quick work by banging away. The sound I heard was more like *sssssssssss* as the freon leaked out of the punctured hole I had made. But I was not wise either as I kept chiselin' away. I made a "few" more holes. Needless to say, the landlord's refrigerator no longer worked. I called a repair shop and they fixed the problem as best they could. 32 welds later I was out a lot of dough. And the gas kept escaping, needing constant refills.

We moved.

I thought I'd take that little secret to the grave, but there it is.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,466,587 times
Oh you are laughing now at the dddzzztttt.... but it wasn't funny at the time... lol...

but it is now... I knew you would come through with a story for me SP!

And btw, I think you have been spilling the beans quite a bit arund here... don't think I didn't notice... was that you in the thread about what you did in HS?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,189,787 times
my lesson was
Do not give new treats to the dog you are babysitting
the resulting mess in his crate and the surrounding floor from his tummy not liking the treats was 1 1/2 hours of cleaning I never want to experience again. all I can say is thank goodness the crate was on tile and not carpet and he was at his house not mine

Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,394,505 times
Yesterday afternoon while all our kids were working my wife and I went to Chili's for steak and a few drinks, when it was served our waitress said why don't you check it while i'm here so I cut into it and all I said was wow! thats really done " I ordered Med Rare " but I had every intention of just eating it because of the time frame we had. I know going into a place like Chili's that i'm not going to get a good steak, its a bar that serves a decent burger but I just felt like steak and didn't have the time to go elsewhere, next thing I know the manager was at our table saying lunch was on her so I left the waitress a $20 tip because I felt guilty.
Anyway my lesson learned....I'm going to try to expect less when I go out around here. I've been here long enough to join the crowd and learn to like eating crap like everyone else, shake off being such a yankee...lol

Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,869,369 times
Quote:
into a place like Chili's that i'm not going to get a good steak, its a bar that serves a decent burger
I know the feeling. It's a standing joke among my friends and I that whenever a group of us go out I will be THE ONE that gets the "bad meal". Underdone, overdone, wrong cut of beef, sauce when I asked it to be left off. The funny thing is that I must have perfected the "disappointed customer" facial expression, (or my reputation preceeded me, LOL) that I get "comped" dinners A LOT.

I also tend to "cut up" with the waitress from the minute she approaches the table. My wife used to accuse me of flirting a bit, but then she realized that I'm that way even with male waitstff! A career in sales, and a million restaurant meals taught me the secrets of dealing with staff.

Once on a ski vacation at a pretty upscale Aspen restaurant I got the wrong cut of steak. Waitress realized it while carrying it to the table and said she'd get the right one immediately. I pointed out that my friends would be done eating by the time I got my "medium well" rib eye. She had me cut into the strip steak and realized it was rare. I told her if she could find a rib eye that was already on the grill to bring it. Anyway the chef must have been PO'd because when the steak came back it was very well done.

As she set it down she said to eat it or not as it was on the house due to the mistake. As we were finishing (I ate about 1/4th of it) she came up and said "how about a 'comped' dessert?" I told her that I'm not really a dessert kind of guy but thanks anyway. She (playfully) smacked me on the head with the dessert menu and said; "not for you, for your friends for putting up with you!" We all had a big laugh, a nice dessert and a wonderful story.

BTW, she got an excellent tip.

I don't eat at Chili's, actually my feeling is that if a restaurant has more than one location (two, tops) I don't go there. The "herd" doesn't know good food.

golfgod

Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,380,755 times
My hubster just had a lesson learned ... Don't leave a big bowl of salted peanuts within easy reach of the newest family furkid member! He's heading off to work now, so I will be left with the pooping pooch!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,315,988 times
Wink Lesson learned...

City-data forum is addictive.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,298,672 times
Lesson learned:

If you flush the toilet you should wait for it to stop running before you leave the house so you don't come home to water oozing out from under all of the doors and your dog standing on the couch.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,189,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Lesson learned:

If you flush the toilet you should wait for it to stop running before you leave the house so you don't come home to water oozing out from under all of the doors and your dog standing on the couch.
omg evey
the mental picture I have of shadow standing on the couch has me laughing

tet pepto will be your friend
worked after the "new treat" experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics