Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,361,951 times

Advertisements

Get a MAC. I had Microsoft products until two years ago and I will never go back. No windows needed on a MAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM

19,300 posts, read 16,833,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Get a MAC. I had Microsoft products until two years ago and I will never go back. No windows needed on a MAC.
I don't want a mac but thank you for your input

Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM

33,031 posts, read 36,611,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have always had an interest in care homes, or I should say residents. When I was a small boy in the early 60s, I used to take a note to a grocery store. A list of stuff to be delivered to our home on a Friday night. I used to walk past a care home on my way there. An old man was always sat in a window. As I passed, he would wave to me, and I waved back. I never got to speak or meet him, but he remains in my memory.

In later years, I worked for Royal Mail. I used to take letters into a care home on a daily basis. I observed many of the residents slumped in chairs, heads down. I used to say a cheery good morning to those who were aware of me. A group of them would all sit together in a large room. One old man among lots of old ladies. Once, I said to him, "you watching the football game tonight on the telly?" He glanced sadly at all the old ladies, and said, "they won't let me...... they want to watch their soap operas." A loud cackle filled the air from the grouped old ladies. Boy, he knew his place!

Now, once again I am visiting a care home, and observing what goes on there. Judy's mum has a nice en suite room, and is well cared for. She is happy, and has a friend called Maisie to boss around. Maisie doesn't seem to have much in the way of family, so we keep an eye on her, and what is going on. If she is unhappy about something, I will take it further. You have to listen carefully to what they say, and what is bothering them. Judy's mother is sharp mentally, and she keeps us up to date with anything we need to know.

When Maisie cries, Judy's mum says, "pull yourself together Maisie. No point in going on about what was before you came here. This is your life now, and you and me have to get on with it!" We have made Judy's mum's room very homely with little things from home that please her. A large photo of her departed husband, and little things that mean a lot to her from the past. She is happy, and now back knitting, which is good. She is knitting Maisie a thick cable sweater for this winter. "Got to look after the old people" says the 92 year old.......
Mum always needed someone to boss around or care for. Both really.

When I was 50, she told me I was washing her dishes the wrong way. I told her she couldn't say that because she was the one who taught me how to wash dishes. She was speechless...for several minutes.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thinking about whether I want to upgrade my computer from Win 7 to Win 10. I hate Microsoft but they seem to control the universe. They're offering it again ... free. If I wait, I'll have to pay $100 for the program. So, I'm mulling it over.
Just do it. It's not evil. Not long ago, I asked my son if I should upgrade to 10. He told me that's what I had. He doesn't tell me what he does to my computer. He just does it.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Mum always needed someone to boss around or care for. Both really.

When I was 50, she told me I was washing her dishes the wrong way. I told her she couldn't say that because she was the one who taught me how to wash dishes. She was speechless...for several minutes.
I love this It made me smile because I have memories of similar conversations with my own mother. Before she developed dementia, though. Then, she didn't even know who I was except the nice lady who took care of her. At least she called me nice.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
John Denver.
My brother worked in Morocco for a couple of years (Peace Corps). It was an interesting but pretty miserable existence. Years later, his son told me that he listened to Country Roads and thought of me--his hiking partner. We hiked, camped, ran the dogs up the creek. We once found a place in rural PA where you really had to pump your own gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrEljMfXYo

Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I love this It made me smile because I have memories of similar conversations with my own mother. Before she developed dementia, though. Then, she didn't even know who I was except the nice lady who took care of her. At least she called me nice.
I'm sorry. I took care of my mother until the end, but she still knew who I was. Her dementia hadn't gone that far.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM

24,782 posts, read 28,623,349 times
Quote:
Thinking about whether I want to upgrade my computer from Win 7 to Win 10. I hate Microsoft but they seem to control the universe. They're offering it again ... free. If I wait, I'll have to pay $100 for the program. So, I'm mulling it over.
FYI: Win 10 with Edge does not support Google Earth you need to have Fox Fire or Chrome for Google Earth I just got it free..

Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
FYI: Win 10 with Edge does not support Google Earth you need to have Fox Fire or Chrome for Google Earth I just got it free..
I do use firefox on some websites but still have ie for others. One of our CD members suggested I keep both (which I did) and it's worked fine. I'm still apprehensive about installing the program on my computer, though. My luck has always been bad when it comes to a smooth installation. Still mulling but thinking maybe no. Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I do use firefox on some websites but still have ie for others. One of our CD members suggested I keep both (which I did) and it's worked fine. I'm still apprehensive about installing the program on my computer, though. My luck has always been bad when it comes to a smooth installation. Still mulling but thinking maybe no. Better safe than sorry.
That's pretty much how I feel. If nothing's broken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics