Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,573,189 times

Advertisements

Greetings peevers.

Here with the weekly thread that looks at the things in life that peeve us, not big issues, just annoying ones.

So, how's your week been? Sympathy to anyone caught up in bad weather!

As to a peeve, lately I have been on the phone to various companies sorting out this that and the other. Rarely these days do you go straight through to a human, more likely to a flipping automated message and then a menu, where often your option is the last one!

Then it's pot luck if you get to speak to someone in good time, or at all, and if everything is still automated you may be left wondering if that action you requested has been taken.

I know that we have peeved along these lines before, but this is fresh in my mind, so here goes.

The POTW is;

Automated telephone menus.

(By the way, I just found this BBC article

BBC Consumer - Automated phone menus - and how to survive them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,573,189 times
As far as photos go I shall continue to raid my album from my recent visit with Miss J to Padova (Padua) in Italy. She is loving her new pad and has already visited nearby Venice and started her part time job.

(I hope that these are different to the ones posted last week.)

The Alps;

Old 02-23-2015, 03:05 AM

30,914 posts, read 16,512,192 times
WOW! love the photos, epsecially the Alps. Probably as close as I'll get. They just seem to go on forever.

As to the peeve: I hate automated messages. My time doesn't mean anything. I'll just sit here and listen to a recording telling me stuff I don't even care about.

I did get one the other day I had to laugh at tho'. It said, among other things, the call would be recorded. They were apparently recording their own recording.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,254,719 times
I keep pressing zero, and that works some times. If it's particularly difficult to get a human, I let them know how hard it was, in detail.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,712,736 times
Good morning peeve'rs and don't let guy scare you. The gun is not loaded.

Yeah that is a peeve and when we go all through that and get disconnected for some reason and have to go all through that again. urgh.
I try to think positive for the most part but we are human and little annoyances do happen.
When I go food shopping is a big one about not putting the carts back in the trolley station. Friday I came out of wal mart and a cart was up against my car. Dang I was peeved. Really. the thoughts going through my head at the time I can't even post. these people can't put the dang cart back???? Yet this little old lady can do it??? what is wrong with this picture.
anyway......no phone calls today that I can think and no shopping so today should be a good day.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Ooh i hate those! Not long ago I needed to get hold of SB County for some important documents I needed and pressing zero got me nowhere, only to the beginning of the automated menu. After trying every option to talk to a real person and ended up having to physically fly out there to retrieve those documents. I couldn't even find the particular link I needed online, which was why I needed to talk to a person.

Last edited by country pride; 02-23-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 AM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Automated telephone menus.

One of my all time great peeves. Especially when you need to talk to someone quickly. Doctor's offices seem to be the worst. Hello blah blah blah, press 1 for English, press 2 for Espanol, press 3 for directions, press 4,5,6,7,8,9 for whomever you want to talk too, if this is an emergency hang up and call 911, for all other questions press 0, please hold for the next available person, thankyou for holding your party will answer shortly, thankyou for holding your call is important to us, we're sorry all lines are busy now then lousy loud music comes on, 2 minutes later the messages are repeated again....sheesh I could've driven over faster....

Excellent peeve Jezer, also great pictures, thank you for holding while I posted...

Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,845,488 times
I was on one not too long ago the kind that you had to SAY this or that like it is on a recording line and Ruby barked...and the voice sad..PLEASE SAY AGAIN..I DIDN'T GET THAT.................HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....

Old 02-23-2015, 06:40 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,772,732 times
Good peeve, Jezer. I find those automated menus very annoying! If I can't get through to a human in less then 5 minutes I hang up.

Love the pictures.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times
Automated Telephone Menus... Some of those are VERY annoying, I know the voice mail's automated menu at my work place has TOO many options, there is even one option that allows you to hang up.. it tells you.. "To hang up, press [some number]".. I mean come on.. do they really need an option for that? How about just hanging up?

I know most automated menus will allow you to select the options you want before you hear all of them, but if you're using the voice mail system at our work for the first time, you'll definitely end up getting very annoyed and frustrated because you'll have to go through and hear all the options to be able to select the one that you want. I don't know who selected that system, but I hope it'll get replaced in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics