Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:53 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times

Advertisements

Greetings peevers.

Given the time of year and where I live the weather has been pretty kind to us this last week.

Indeed it has been unusually mild and I've been outside quite lightly dressed this morning.

So, here we are in December and the first window of the advent calendar has been opened!

Mrs J and I are ahead of the game when it comes to getting presents for friends and family- being in France on vacation last week did help in that regard.

How are you doing?

What are you going to get for that friend or neighbour?

What can you possibly get for that relation who seems to have everything, or is at that 'awkward age'?

The POTW is;

Choosing gifts for others for the Holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:56 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
A few shots taken from home over the last week. The last shot is of a a Great Spotted Woodpecker;

Old 12-01-2014, 04:41 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Love the woodpecker. And I see Mr Pheasant is still around!

Not much present buying here. My sister and I decided years ago we both had enough stuff and now just exchange donations to charities. My gift is to an animal shelter; hers to a food bank.

I did take a tag off a tree. Not sure if it's a local thing but CYS (a child aid type place) puts tags on trees indicating a child's age, gender, sizes, and special interest. The trees are placed any place-I got my tag at the one in Wal-Mart. Then people can pick a tag, buy a gift, and return it to the place the tree is.

I kind of have fun with that. I get to buy toys!

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
I've done that PA, maybe I'll do that this year again. Not much buying presents around here either. Will bake some goodies though

Old 12-01-2014, 05:32 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,138,435 times
The pheasants are out.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Scared a pheasant by my front door yesterday when I was coming home!

I am terrible at choosing presents for people. My mum is excellent at it, why couldn't some of that skill have been passed down to me?! Money is tight this year because we're flying over to England for Christmas so its even harder on a limited budget, only have to buy for mum, dad and one brother (me and OH aren't buying for each other and my kid will get enough from her grandparents) but I haven't bought them presents in years, have no idea what they like any more.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:27 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Such pretty pics, countryside pics are so inspiring, so peaceful. Thanks for posting!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Choosing gifts for others for the Holidays.

Actually never thought of it as a peeve as it's something I enjoy doing, especially when I see something that I know is "just right" for a particular person... thus, I do my holiday shopping year-round and when I run across something, I buy it and put it back for them 'til Christmas. Definitely not a fun thing to do at the last minute under pressure though, that's when it can become a real peeve!

Great photos Jezer, thanks for sharing, hope you & yours have a wonderful holiday season!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
LOVE the pictures... Not much gift giving going on here..we are now living in a town where we know like three people and I never had a big family Christmas where you pick names and buy gifts....I LOVE buying things that are just right for people but besides my sister, her daughter, my son and daughter in law and an 8 yr old grandson who we are not sure where he is to even send a gift, that is gonna be the extent of gift buying...But my friend back in Michigan is dying for a homemade fruit cake so I will mail her one.....

Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Love the woodpecker. And I see Mr Pheasant is still around!

Not much present buying here. My sister and I decided years ago we both had enough stuff and now just exchange donations to charities. My gift is to an animal shelter; hers to a food bank.

I did take a tag off a tree. Not sure if it's a local thing but CYS (a child aid type place) puts tags on trees indicating a child's age, gender, sizes, and special interest. The trees are placed any place-I got my tag at the one in Wal-Mart. Then people can pick a tag, buy a gift, and return it to the place the tree is.

I kind of have fun with that. I get to buy toys!
Never thought of it as a peeve,whenever I see something I pick it up and safe it for later.
PAhippo we have something similar here in Canada for children/teenagers and lonely seniors who lost their spouse..I am only a little part of so many groups who participate in that,just love it Now that the kids are all adults we don't give them toys anymore ...a bit of money and a family vacation for a weekend skiing. Over the holiday we help out at a soup kitchen and spend wisely time there . When the children were young it was so easy to give them a toy,but we did give them continuously year after year Martial Art classes til they all had their black belt.
For family/friends overseas I bake Christmas cookies and ship them off and locally neighbors/friends/relatives I also give home baked Christmas cookies,candles I make or decorated cards for them to use for any occasion.
Jezer I love your photos,thank you for sharing and have a good December
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics