Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,089,638 times

Advertisements

{{{{What!!!!}}}} After stocking up on a years’ worth of food & water then having it buried and hidden so no one would find it but me and now I’m hearing that the world is not full of doom and gloom……………….. I guess I’m going back to McD’s for a big mac and fries… and see if I can make it through the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,481,899 times
Molly looks so comfy. I suspect she is a gentle soul and I love gentle souls.

I have to admit that I started playing a game with the few folks in my life who are doom-and-gloom types.
I simply start singing "The hills are alive and they're coming closer."

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM

24,734 posts, read 26,328,452 times
Doom and gloom merchants.

Molly looks do comfy.

Here is a doom and gloom weather report thats pretty funny.

Weather Report with Chance of Godzilla from Funny Or Die - YouTube

Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,286,487 times
good doggy.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM

9,857 posts, read 14,451,394 times
Jezer -Good morning peevers.
Let's use this as the basis of the POTD. I'm not just on about newspapers but also people who seem to thrive on doom and gloom. It's not that the glass is half empty, it's almost completely empty.
The POTD is;
This is a MAJOR peeve of mine! I run like the wind from complainers, belly aching and doomsday people.

That's not to say I'm insensitive. But those who constantly use others to unload their woes on, are just users. Hard times hit all of us. Quit complaining, walk tall, and conquer your problems. Those who constantly complain and whine have no idea what others are going through.

I saw an interesting vanity plate on a car yesterday. The car was a big old rusty oldsmobile, probably a 70's model, with a happy looking elderly guy driving it.
The tag said: OVERCOMR
He did, I guess! That made my day!

Have a great day, everyone......and don't forget to run like the wind if you encounter one of those users!

Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,438,643 times
While I am an utter pessimist, there's still only so much depressing reality (or speculation as to future disasters) I can bear.
That's why I no longer watch "proper news", and instead tune in to Daily Show & Colbert Report for my info.
because they at least serve the awfulness up with a large dose of humor (and insightful analysis) at the absurdity we're all faced with.

I practice what I call "strategic ignorance" about a goodly amount of what is going on in the world,
because knowing more about certain things wouldn't change my opinion, it would just make me feel terrible-yet serve no purpose.
And I don't fret about what might happen in a hundred or in 5 billion years,
because that's way past my expiration date, and thus is no longer my problem.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,784,794 times
I try to avoid both ends of the spectrum.

The " gloom and doom" folks and the people who are so optimistic they can't see reality.

When the glass is half full ,it also is half empty.
(and vice versa)

I prefer the " half full" outlook.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM

44,776 posts, read 62,247,507 times
"The British are comming, the British are comming"... oops, that's old news now.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM

44,496 posts, read 20,317,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The POTD is;

Another good peeve, Jezer. I hate that, too. News media especially are guilty of taking an uncertain forecast and making it seem as though the end of the world is coming. Rarely is an event, weather or other, as bad as the folks from the media make it sound.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:42 PM

16,849 posts, read 17,620,830 times
Love all your responses as always, and thanks for the kind comments about Moll The Wal!

The paper in question was the Daily Express, a paper that sometimes makes the Daily Mail (or Daily Wail as I prefer to call it) seem reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics