Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I really don't know why I keep getting offers for cards. I just graduated and don't really have an income to speak of.
The ideal target for credit card companies. They assume you need to live on credit since you just graduated and are probably broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
I really don't know why I keep getting offers for cards. I just graduated and don't really have an income to speak of.
DON'T DO IT! IT'S A TRICK!!!

I believe that the credit card companies prey on young adults, even those with "no income" as you claim...because eventually that is going to change. So they rope you in with your first card, the temptation to spend money you don't have, which is really hard for young Americans to resist, maybe the minimum monthly payment is only something like $25, and that's not a big deal, right?

Before you know it, you've been approved for half a dozen cards, you're using them all, and you're thousands in debt. Even if you are quite capable of making the payments with no difficulty (once you have a job of course) you will be very likely to carry around those balances for a decade or more, and pay thousands in interest. This is how these companies make their money.

The trap you fall into as a "just graduated" sort of person, is that you must establish credit. Having one card can actually help your credit score, but you have to be excruciatingly careful about how you use it. The best thing I've found is to establish a good banking relationship with a certain bank where you have your checking/savings. Then get their card, especially if it has a good rate and rewards. Don't ever accept any card with a minimum interest charge, inactivity charge, or annual fee. Don't let them sign you up for life insurance, or payment protection, credit score monitoring, or any other junk (they will try.) And then use that credit card to make ONLY purchases you actually have the cash to pay for in your checking account, then go home and use your online banking to pay the amount you just spent to the card. This can generate miles/rewards points...yet costs you nothing...and establishes good credit.

I was an accounting/finance major and I KNEW BETTER, but I am still beating away at balances I charged ten years ago. Don't make this mistake. I regret it daily.

Oh, and just because a card issuer will approve you when you have no income, doesn't mean they expect you to not pay the bill, or will accept it if you don't. You don't want to ever default on an account. So if you can't afford something, don't buy it, with plastic or anything else.

**climbing down from my soapbox now!**

I hate the offers in the mail, it's a total waste of paper, they go right in the shred. But the phone calls are worse. I never do business with anyone who solicits me by phone, as a rule. Ever.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
They consider you fresh meat and want to get you hooked before others do. On the opposite side of the spectrum when you retire you'll get start getting solicitations for cremation services and hearing aids.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
What kills me, since we just bought our first house last November, apparently since that is a public record, you start getting solicitations from companies that supposedly want you to pay them for copies of your deed or other paperwork, and solicitations for mortgage insurance. And they are sneaky, too, they try and make it look like the piece of mail is really official, necessary, etc. Only in the fine print does it reveal that it's just some random company completely unrelated to any part of your transaction trying to make a buck off of ya. Wish I could get OFF the mailing list for all of these jackalopes...

Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,141,299 times
I wish they'd save the trees and quit sending the applications!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM
bjh

60,098 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Handy when you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics