Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,495,522 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 23rd October, 2012. Let’s get straight into the questions…

Today’s Question:

Today is Canned Food Day. What canned foods do you use the most and what canned foods would you never eat unless your life depended on it?

Extra Credit Question:

If you had to emigrate to another country, where would you go and why did you choose that country?

Bonus Question:

How many first cousins do you have?

Just for fun:

What was the last book you read in its entirety?

What book are you reading now (if any).

Today in History:

1690 Revolt in Haarlem (Amsterdam) after public ban on smoking
1814 First plastic surgery is performed (England)
1915 25,000 women march in New York City, demanding right to vote
1941 Walt Disney's "Dumbo" released
1956 First video recording on magnetic tape televised coast-to-coast
1970 Gary Gabelich sets auto speed record 622.4 mph (1,001 kph)
1973 Nixon agrees to turn over White House tape recordings to Judge Sirica
1977 Paleontologist Elso Barghoorn announces that 3.4-billion-year-old one-celled fossils, the earliest life forms, had been discovered

Today’s Word:

Parturient / pahr-TOOR-ee-uhnt \ , adjective;
1. Bearing or about to bear young; travailing.
2. Pertaining to parturition.
3. Bringing forth or about to produce something, as an idea.

Today Is:

TV Talk Show Host Day
IPad Day
Swallows Depart from San Juan Capistrano Day
National Mole Day
Canned Food Day
Soccer Player Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 AM

27,391 posts, read 27,438,981 times
Not really big on canned foods but we do have Campbells chunky soups and Bush's baked beans in the cabinet. A couple of cans of green beans for making italian salad.
Another country, I probably would do Canada, I was only there once and do have family up there.
Not real sure how many cousins I have but was talking with one of them awhile back (she lives in ARK), we were discussing childhood 'crushes' and we were both surprised how many of us cousins had 'crushes' on each other....before we realized it was a no-no!

Since its canned food day, I'll go to the Pig (Piggly Wiggly) and buy a few cans of something to donate to food-for-the-hungry charity here.
Happy Tuesday everyone!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,997,331 times
Today’s Question:

Today is Canned Food Day. What canned foods do you use the most and what canned foods would you never eat unless your life depended on it? Beans the most (for tostadas) & peas the least.

Extra Credit Question:

If you had to emigrate to another country, where would you go and why did you choose that country? Australia. I really love Melbourne. One of my favorite places on the entire planet. If not then the United Kingdom (for London), Hong Kong, or my native Singapore.

Bonus Question:

How many first cousins do you have? LOLOL well lets just say enough for me to hesitate answering the question. I have no clue in all honesty, quite a lot actually. If I had to put a number on it then I would definitely think at least 7.

Just for fun:

What was the last book you read in its entirety? The Audacity of Hope: Barack Obama

What book are you reading now (if any). My Life: Bill Clinton

Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,873,456 times
Today’s Question:

Today is Canned Food Day. What canned foods do you use the most and what canned foods would you never eat unless your life depended on it? I don't eat many canned foods. Let's see. Beans, tuna...... canned corn in chowder.....Can't really think of many. I had an uncle who ate a lot of canned food & I sometimes shopped for him. He loved canned potatoes and even now that kind of makes me queasy. Oh, and spam. Ew.

Extra Credit Question:

If you had to emigrate to another country, where would you go and why did you choose that country? Italy. Because I've been told by people who know me well that I would love it. Some day, when retired, I will go and find out for myself.
Bonus Question:

How many first cousins do you have? Hmm..... On my father's side there are five and my mother's... counting.... eight. And yes, I know/knew them all well.

Just for fun:

What was the last book you read in its entirety? Tiger Rising by Kate Dicamillo, a children's book I'm using in one of my 5th grade reading groups.

What book are you reading now (if any). Focus, Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning by Mike Schmoker, a book I'm reading for an in-service class.

So, yeah..... My reading during the school year is mostly professional.

Enjoy your day, all! Off to the races, as my dad used to say!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 AM

37,808 posts, read 41,101,157 times
Today’s Question:

Today is Canned Food Day. What canned foods do you use the most and what canned foods would you never eat unless your life depended on it?

Use most: Campbell's pork and beans

Note: Cans (and jars) are heavy and to lug them up a flight of stairs is hard so I avoid them when I can (but not because of what's in them.)

Would never eat even if my life depended on it:

anchovies
tuna fish
spam
Chef Boy Ardee Spaghetti

Extra Credit Question:

If you had to emigrate to another country, where would you go and why did you choose that country?

Canada - they speak English, mostly. I can drive there. I like cold weather.

Bonus Question:

Alive? 7

Just for fun:

Spreading the Wealth: How Obama is Robbing The Suburbs To Pay For The Cities by Stanley Kurtz

Bird Sense: What It's Like To Be A Bird by Tim Birkhead (obviously an alias for some blue jay)

Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,018,168 times
My last day of vacation. Tonight I have to work a flight and ride it back to Alaska.

Today’s Question:

I use a lot of the canned lunch meats such as chicken and tuna. You can usually find a can or two of things like smoked oysters and anchovies.

You will not find Dinty Moore Beef Stew in my house. You won't find most canned vegies. I find them to be too mushy. About the only canned vegi I like is corn.

Extra Credit Question:

That is a tough question. I am pretty set in my ways and most countries have one restriction or another of something I am not willing to give up.

Bonus Question:

I have a total of 5

Just for fun:

That would have been the owners manual for my cell phone. I still have no clue how to use most of the features.

I am working on a collection of short stories by Patrick McManus. Every now and then I will read one of the short stories.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,370,518 times
Today’s Question:

I use sliced beets the most and I will never eat pig knuckles.

Extra Credit Question:

Scotland. English is spoken there and I think the country is lovely and peaceful and they drink a lot of milk there.

Bonus Question:

Ten

Just for fun:

What was the last book you read in its entirety? T
The End of Your Life Book Club

I'm always reading a book. Currently I am reading Saving Millie by Mort Kondracke.

Today in History:

1941 Walt Disney's "Dumbo" released That was the first movie that made me cry.
1973 Nixon agrees to turn over White House tape recordings to Judge Sirica except for the ones he erased.
1977 Paleontologist Elso Barghoorn announces that 3.4-billion-year-old one-celled fossils, the earliest life forms, had been discovered

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

TV Talk Show Host Day
IPad Day
Swallows Depart from San Juan Capistrano Day Bye-Bye Birdie.
National Mole Day
Canned Food Day
Soccer Player Day

Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,503,504 times
Today’s Question:

Today is Canned Food Day. What canned foods do you use the most and what canned foods would you never eat unless your life depended on it? Most: some kind of tomatoes. Never: Fruit cocktail.

Extra Credit Question:

If you had to emigrate to another country, where would you go and why did you choose that country? Canada. Beautiful there, and I speak the language!!

Bonus Question:

How many first cousins do you have? 54 (My dad was one of 13)

Just for fun:

What was the last book you read in its entirety? Just finished one by JA Jance. Forget the title. They all sound the same to me in her series, but I enjoy them.

What book are you reading now (if any). Got John Grishom's 'Ford County'. Has anyone read it?

Today in History:

1941 Walt Disney's "Dumbo" released From where? Where did he go?
First video recording on magnetic tape televised coast-to-coast

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

TV Talk Show Host Day
IPad Day
National Mole Day
Canned Food Day
Soccer Player Day

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM

11,395 posts, read 9,319,468 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for Tuesday, 23rd October, 2012. Let’s get straight into the questions…

Today’s Question:

I use very few. The one I buy the most is garbanzo beans. I put them in my salad.
2nd is baked beans. 3rd and 4th would be kidney beans and plum tomatoes for quick vegetarian chili. I can't think of anything else canned that I buy.

Too many to name on what I wouldn't buy but anything with meat would rank right at the top.

Quote:
Extra Credit Question:

Canada --- Close, mostly English speaking, and healthcare.

Quote:
Bonus Question:

Can't say for sure. There are 2 that I keep up with.

Quote:
Just for fun:

"When I Grow Up" by Juliana Hatfield was the last book I read.

She is one of my favorite musicians. I also like her voice and she is an underrated songwriter. She has written about 400 songs. It was a great read, packed full of good stories.

I'm currently reading "Frontman: Surviving The Rock Star Myth" by musician Richard Barone. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I like biography's.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Last edited by John13; 10-23-2012 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,720,784 times
Quote:

Today’s Question:

Today is Canned Food Day. What canned foods do you use the most and what canned foods would you never eat unless your life depended on it? Canned corn,baked beans and black olives we always have in stock and no way would we have spam, Vienna sausages,anchovies or chef-boy-ardee in our pantry..........sorry,rainroosty.

Extra Credit Question:

If you had to emigrate to another country, where would you go and why did you choose that country? Probably Italy. It is one of the countries I've always wanted to see and since I am an Italian-American, it would be nice to see the land where some of my relatives came from and live there part of the year.

Bonus Question:

How many first cousins do you have? Let's just say alot!

Just for fun:

What was the last book you read in its entirety? I don't remember.

What book are you reading now (if any). The Edge Effect by Dr. Eric R. Braverman.

Today in History:

1941 Walt Disney's "Dumbo" released

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

TV Talk Show Host Day
IPad Day
National Mole Day
Canned Food Day
Soccer Player Day

Have a good day everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics