Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,508,612 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
I had a little experience today at work that made me want to ask:

When (& why) was the last time you needed to or were instructed to speak with a “professional” about something
and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as on a bull?
A few years ago when renovating my house. I moved the kitchen from the middle of the house to the back of it. Of course, once the old kitchen came out, the area was a mess. Various professional builders quoted thousands of dollars to restore the area to match the rest of the house. I came up with a simple solution, put it to my handyman, he thought it was workable and $400 later it was all done. No one would ever know it used to be the kitchen!

What’s one thing that you're pretty darned good at even though you never received formal instruction?
Marketing. I ran a business for 30 years with no formal education in the subject.

Bonus Questions:
While it might not happen every night, it does happen so . . .

What was the last dream you had that was so vivid it took you a bit to shake it after you woke up?
A few months ago, but I can't remember the dream at all.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off?
Yes, it happens now and again, though I rarely wake up till morning once I'm asleep.
If so, do you remember what it was?
Nope - I'm hopeless at remembering dreams.

What’s the last dream you had where you WISHED you wouldn’t have woke up?
If I told you, I'd have to kill you!

Just for Fun
These questions were airdropped over the jungles of Panama

If they were to make a movie about you and your life, who would you want to portray you in that role?
In the childhood and teen years:
I dunno - who's short and skinny with reddish hair?
In the adult years:
Susan Sarandon

If a movie producer asked you to play the lead role in a movie they want to make about a well-known person
(from the past or present) who would you want to portray?
Gosh, I don't know - maybe Agatha Christie, even though I look nothing like her!

Thanks JJ!

Happy Saturday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 07-14-2012 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 AM

37,862 posts, read 41,261,575 times
Today's Questions:

When (& why) was the last time you needed to or were instructed to speak with a “professional” about something and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as on a bull?

It used to happen a lot when I was in the workforce but I've been retired for 5 years plus I live in an apartment complex so I don't have to deal with repairmen, contractors or lawn people. I love my doctor and my car dealer (services the car) so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I just don't remember but it's been 6 years or more and another state.

What’s one thing that you're pretty darned good at even though you never received formal instruction?

Internet research.

Bonus Questions:

What was the last dream you had that was so vivid it took you a bit to shake it after you woke up?

Some cold medicines make me have weird dreams and none of them are good but it's been awhile. The ones I remember usually involve bad/dangerous never ending elevators or escalators and either being chased, lost or never getting to where I'm going. Yeah, I know, don't need a dream interpreter for that one.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off? If so, do you remember what it was?

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

If they were to make a movie about you and your life, who would you want to portray you in that role?
In the childhood and teen years: In the adult years:

Lotsa luck with THAT movie.

If a movie producer asked you to play the lead role in a movie they want to make about a well-known person (from the past or present) who would you want to portray?

I'm a strictly behind-the-scenes person not a meat puppet (what a screenwriter called actors on a TV show he wrote for).

1988 - WYHY radio offers $1M to anyone who can prove Elvis is still alive

Is that before or after taxes? Say, if you were Elvis and hiding out back then, don't you think the best disguise would have been Elvis impersonator? I'm just sayin' - you get to do your music and live your life without the hangers on and people hounding you.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:56 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
Good morning all from a very nice at the moment, sunny England. Now then, two people to portray me in a movie about my life. Well, it would take two people of great sensitivity. I think as a child, Claude Jarman Jr. He portrayed Gregory Peck's son in an old movie called 'The Yearling'. As an adult, Michael Crawford of 'Phantom Of The Opera' fame. I think he would be able to portray the complexities of my character.

A movie with me portraying someone else, would be about my hero Sebastian Coe, the great middle distant runner of the 80s.

Vivid dreams, mmmm. I dream a lot about a particular job I had for 22 years. I had one only last night. The only vivid dream that I have never forgot is one I have mentioned before. It was very short, but woke me with a start, and I have never forgot it. Shortly after my wife Judy's father died I had a dream about him. Just that once, never again since.

In the dream I walked into my kitchen. Judy's dad was stood at a kitchen top making coffee. He didn't look at me as he talked. He was quite animated in his movements, seemingly concerned about something. I asked him what was wrong. He turned his head towards me, looked me in the eye, and said "are you looking after my little girl?" I woke with a start, and sat at the edge of the bed. I was really shocked, the dream was so vivid.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 AM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times

When (& why) was the last time you needed to or were instructed to speak with a “professional” about something
and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as on a bull?
When my husband and I went to marriage counseling. It wasn't helpful at all. I felt like the guy listened attentively to my husband but brushed me off. We worked things out on our own.

Analyzing people. My friend who teaches psychology on the graduate level thinks that I am more psychologically-minded than some of her students, and I never even finished a Bachelor's degree.

Bonus Questions:

Last night. I dreamed I was on vacation in London. I've never actually been there, but in the dream it was magical and I was having the time of my life.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off?
I have had those, usually on a theme of trying to solve some sort of problem, but I can't remember the exact details.

The dreams in which I have a whole wardrobe of beautiful clothes to choose from!

Just for Fun

In the childhood and teen years: Margaret O'Brien (when she was young)
In the adult years: A younger Shirley Maclaine

If a movie producer asked you to play the lead role in a movie they want to make about a well-known person
(from the past or present) who would you want to portray? Oh, gosh. That's a tough one because I'm 63 years old, 5'2" and I have a face like a Cabbage Patch Kid. The choices are decidedly limited. Maybe Alice Waters?

Good questions!

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 AM

39,220 posts, read 23,199,902 times
Today's Questions:

It must have had to do with a problem I was having with my Internet service. The overseas tech support sounded like they were reading from a script. After I hung up, I managed to figure out the problem and got myself online again.

The ability to interpret lousy penmanship and transcribe crummy dictation.

Bonus Questions:

Funny that you used the word "shake." When I was in junior high, I thought my mom was waking me up because I thought I felt her hand shaking my arm. When I woke up, I discovered we were having an earthquake.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off? I think so.
If so, do you remember what it was? No, I don't.

Probably eating one of my favorite dishes.

Just for Fun

In the childhood and teen years: Gerald Anderson
In the adult years: Ramon Zamora

(from the past or present) who would you want to portray? Manuel Quezon

Have a great weekend!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,772,732 times
[quote=JustJoy;25161643][b]Well here we are kids, almost 1/2 way through July!

So just as I was getting ready to hit submit the power went out
Thank God for laptop batteries and copy/paste

Now before all goes dark again, how about . . .

Today's Questions:

and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as on a bull? Several years back I went to the doctor for a minor problem and didn't like his answer so left his office and took care of it myself which turned out to be okay and saved me from having an operation.

What’s one thing that you're pretty darned good at even though you never received formal instruction? Sizing up people.

Bonus Questions:

What was the last dream you had that was so vivid it took you a bit to shake it after you woke up? When my dad visited/spoke with me. He passed 10 years ago.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off? No

What’s the last dream you had where you WISHED you wouldn’t have woke up? See answer above.

Just for Fun

If they were to make a movie about you and your life, who would you want to portray you in that role? Maybe Barbra Striesand or Cher....lol!
In the childhood and teen years: IDK
In the adult years: Young adult? Hmmm.........I'll get back to you on this when I think of someone worthy enough................HA!!

(from the past or present) who would you want to portray? Cleopatra!

Today in History:

1850 - 1st public demonstration of ice made by refrigeration
1853 - 1st U.S. World's fair opens, Crystal Palace New York
1927 - 1st commercial airplane flight in Hawaii
2011 - In Borneo a previously extinct rainbow toad is rediscovered by scientists; the sighting is the first since
its extinction was declared in 1924

Quote of the Day:

"It often happens that when a person possesses a particular ability to an extraordinary degree
nature makes up for it by leaving him or her incompetent in every other department."

~~Robert Shea

Today Is:

Farm Heritage Day
Pick Blueberries Day
Anything You Want Day
Harrison Ford's 70th Birthday-7/13(where the heck has time gone)

Good job as always,JJ.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 AM

10,250 posts, read 11,249,770 times
Today's Questions:

Often... But That's part of the job...

Nursing Skills

Bonus Questions:

Can't remember the last time, but it probably was the zombie one.

No

It was about this guy and...

Just for Fun

In the childhood and teen years: Don't know..
In the adult years: Myself

(from the past or present) who would you want to portray? Me of course

Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 AM

280 posts, read 576,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Well here we are kids, almost 1/2 way through July!
And only 159 more days til the end of the world (12/21/12) and if that don't pan out like usual then there is 162 shopping days til Christmas morning.

Today's Questions:

When (& why) was the last time you needed to or were instructed to speak with a “professional” about something and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as on a bull?
Never

Sense of direction, meteorology & computers.

Bonus Questions:

Yesterday afternoon, after I fell asleep on the couch listening to the rare rain outside.

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off? Yes
If so, do you remember what it was? Yes

What’s the last dream you had where you WISHED you wouldn’t have woke up? Sssssshhhhh, I can't tell.

Just for Fun

In the childhood and teen years: Carl Switzer, who played the famous Alfalfa from the 1930s Our Gang / The Little Rascals (but he died in 1959...so )

In the adult years: Ashton Kutcher as his Kelso role from the 70s Show

Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 5 days ago)

4,733 posts, read 3,303,581 times
Today's Questions:

and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as on a bull? Changing the auotmatic power settings on my car seat........I ended up being the one to figure it all out. The salesperson was supposed to be a "master salesman"

What’s one thing that you're pretty darned good at even though you never received formal instruction? Being everyone's shrink.

Bonus Questions:

What was the last dream you had that was so vivid it took you a bit to shake it after you woke up? Most evenings

Have you ever had a dream that woke you up and when you fell back to sleep the dream picked up where it left off? Yes
If so, do you remember what it was? Yes, in vivid detail.

What’s the last dream you had where you WISHED you wouldn’t have woke up? The ones where my family members are still alive.

Just for Fun

In the childhood and teen years:
In the adult years:

Today in History:

1850 - 1st public demonstration of ice made by refrigeration
1853 - 1st U.S. World's fair opens, Crystal Palace New York
1927 - 1st commercial airplane flight in Hawaii
2011 - In Borneo a previously extinct rainbow toad is rediscovered by scientists; the sighting is the first since
its extinction was declared in 1924

Quote of the Day:

"It often happens that when a person possesses a particular ability to an extraordinary degree
nature makes up for it by leaving him or her incompetent in every other department."

~~Robert Shea

Today Is:

Farm Heritage Day
Pick Blueberries Day
Anything You Want Day I've got my list ready!!!
Harrison Ford's 70th Birthday-7/13(where the heck has time gone)

Have a good one y’all and . . . have a fun weekend!!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,235,965 times
Today's Questions:

When (& why) was the last time you needed to or were instructed to speak with a “professional” about something and you ended up having to figure it out yourself because they were as worthless as big hooters on a bull?
~ Oh, that's real easy. When I went to the "doctor" all these years and he/they never ever told me one single thing about diabetes and all that I need to know about how to live with diabetes. Idiots!

~ Well I don't know about pretty darn good or not but I can play guitars. I also have the now pointless ability to perform rock and blues music loudly in front lots of people. Looky, a side show.

Bonus Questions:

~ It happens sometimes. I wouldn't want to discuss it at all.

~ Yes, not often.

~ Nope.

~ Plenty of them. I love when I ever get to be with my cats that have past away. I miss them so badly.
I love them all.

Just for Fun

~ Anthony Perkins.

~ Lou Reed.

Today Is:

Farm Heritage Day ~ Yayyyy! I wanna go visit Ilene Wright!
Pick Blueberries Day ~ Yayyyy! Yayyyyyy! Muffins and pancakes for us all!
Anything You Want Day ~ Okay! I want 10 big beefy crunchy tacos with loads of cheese!

***** Thanks for your good questions, JJoy! You and all our friends and family here...have a terrific weekend! *****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics