Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,082,092 times

Advertisements

Great tips Pam, thanks! I have to really watch what I do because I love to give my dog treats but I don't want to give him too much. Lately I've been giving him one treat a day and a doggy bone. His meals are limited in portion already and he gets plenty of exercise so he's in pretty good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
(as a once pet owner ½ of my life)

They say pets tend to be much like their owners. I believe that is true for a large percentage of us, our pets are just like us. Mine didn’t get as much exercise as needed and most often was overfed (and with table scraps) which is worse. We don’t listen to our own doctors about our own weight and health and we don’t often follow the advice of the veterinarian as well. So what do we need to do? Maybe we need to avoid the choice of soft drinks that are larger than 16oz to begin with. I sure don’t need to consume all that artificial sugar in soft drinks or food, so why should I give it to my dog or cat?

Now back away from the keyboard, get off the couch and go for a walk with your dog! Take a bottle of water with you instead of a canned soft drink. Take a small cup with you will help allow pooch to get a drink along the way.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM

4,699 posts, read 7,939,244 times
About treats and table scraps - this gets out of hand so easily. What Weight Watchers says applies to pets as well as humans: cut out the BLTs and you'll cut out a substantial number of calories each day. And no, I'm not talking about bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. BLT stands for Bites, Licks and Tastes. Every bit of food that passes the lips contains calories, and they add up fast. If your pup is overweight, don't let him lick your ice cream bowl when you're through with it. Don't give him a Big Mac. Don't give Kitty table scraps. DO show them your love by feeding them correctly and playing with them so they will get plenty of exercise.

.[/quote]

So true! Never give them BLTs.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,653,493 times
When I inform my little dog "Cheeky" that I'm putting him on a diet he always says, "I'm not as fat as you are, lardo. Pass me another hamburger"!!!!!

He's very cheeky!!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,634,797 times
Having inactive and fat pet is common with city dwellers. Countryside or farm would be ideal for having healthy and happy pets, especially dogs. Mine "demands" his walk around the community twice a day.

Great tip Pammy!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM

23,491 posts, read 29,418,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
PREVENT PET OBESITY

Excellent tip!

Never "free feed" a cat or dog and do every cat a huge favor and never give them dry food. Most are drawn to it and will beg for it but it's very unnatural for a cat's system. Has been quite a while since my 21yr old has dashed around and exercised. She's a CRF cat (for 10 yrs) and still hanging in there with vitamin adjustments, no IV fluids needed so far. The other two have nightly romps of chasing each other throughout the house for 10-15 minutes and that's a hard romp that does them good. When they do that those padded feet sound like galloping horses.

A homemade diet really is best for cats and dogs even if you gather the nerve to go raw utilizing all safety features. I tried it with my cats about ten years ago. Bought a fancy food processor and used instructions from a holistic vet. I made the mistake of giving them the new food all at once thinking they would be thrilled. Each cat got no more than a foot near the dish, sat tall, leaned back with a look of astonishment, slowly turned their head as if it smelled really bad and walked away. I waited 2 or 3 months and tried again adding a pinch to regular (wet) food but they knew it was there and wouldn't eat.
I feed my ferret with the highest protein cat food available, and I would love to just give it pure meat to eat, much healthier I believe. I was astounded, when I made some Beef Burgundy one day, I took tidbits of beef and fed it to him and he gobbled it like candy.

So, I went out and bought 3 pounds of sirloin, put in in a slow-cooker for 7 hours, w/beef broth, and figured I'd feed him that over the next few weeks. Aha! He turned his nose up at it, won't touch it! Why the sudden turn? I didn't add the 3 cups of Burgundy wine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics