Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,088,204 times

Advertisements

OK everyone here's for a tip you got to put up with me for a bit today. PJ should be back tomorrow. All is well don't worry I'm here for today only and I (changed gears a bit since we talked this morning) lied a bit about the subject to her. I too got a new toy today and have it in operation. Credit for the demo photos goes to Rambing Iris.

I'm a lover of thin sliced beef stacked high on the bun dripping with whichever sauce I'm in the mood for any given day. Now slicing is the TIP. Across the grain is the proper way to get the most tender sandwich meat. Same goes with boneless pork loin. No need to buy from the deli when you can get junk free sliced sandwich meat you make yourself. The photos demonstrate the slicing of an eye round roast cooked in a stainless sauce pan with lid. Oh must not forget to give credit to SATX56 for the Fiesta seasoning rub that I had imported from San Antonio and another CD member who was in charge of transportation "Lady with a brush".

Eye of round is very lean. Little marbling. Outer fat can easily be trimmed off before slicing after cooking. Another cut of meat that is exceptionally good grilled over mesquite charcoal is a flat cut of beef brisket. There again across the grain and thin sliced makes a tough but flavorful cut of meat come to attention. Here is a link to a very valuable bit of information on a lot of foods. I had initially planned on comparing nutritional values of canned VS frozen VS fresh but not wanting to create a convoluted mathematical challenge I decided against that. I used this document in hard copy back in the late 80's to write my second computer program. It sold for $4 then and is $14 now for the hard copy but free for printing from this site:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom.../hg72_2002.pdf

You must have Adobe Reader installed to use it.

Now for the demo and a preview of my lunch tomorrow.

My new kitchen toy the metal slicer replacing a plastic one:

Notice slicing across the grain.

Now for an action shot. No fingers shortened. One shortened is enough.

Simmered in BBQ sauce and piled high on a good bun with sweet onion and jalapenos is going to make a great day tomorrow.

Now for the grand finally, just hours before it will be time to heat and eat:

Any slow cooked and then chilled boneless meat will work. These slicers work best with chilled meat like delis sell. I've never done it but I would think a hunk of leg of lamb cut off the bone would make great sandwiches on rye. Corned beef on an open faced sandwich with good gravy on potatoes, well I think I've started a tip wheel to turn. At least I have made an honest effort to shake some ideas loose from the TIP Tree.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Yep! Gonna have to get me one of those. Slicing against the grain is extremely important for sure. I'm betting the Mrs. will be awaken at odd times of night by the sounds of this thing! Thanks for the spice credit my friend. I'd be lost without our local spice dealer with localized spice recipes for us Texans. Slice away!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
Cutting edge technology tip! I too love thin deli cut meats.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,780,897 times
We will add a Green Salad to that sandwich and fruit for desert! YUMMM

Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Cutting edge technology tip! I too love thin deli cut meats.
Me too... but we know they're best when sliced just before eating! I wanna practice on making a good Anjou sauce.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

44,477 posts, read 20,273,814 times
Great. Now I'm hungry!

Fantastic Tip, Nomadicus! Thanks!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM

1,738 posts, read 771,233 times
Fancy professional piece of equipment you have there. Its funny, I have Food Network on and right now Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is on...guess what they were JUST talking about..how to slice the meat. The chef said the same thing (cut across the grain). Thought that was funny and also shows chefs agree with you. :O) Good tip.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM

72,554 posts, read 18,264,448 times
That is a class act! looks so juicy and ready! Chinese usually cut meat against the grain,so after you stir fry it the meat would taste soft. Good tip Nomad!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,048,217 times
I would go out and buy a nice meat slicer but then people would think I must be a good cook since I have a meat slicer. When I fix someone a sandwich with meat that looks like it was hacked apart with a dull meat cleaver they tend to not set their expectations very high. With my cooking, low expectations can be a good thing.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 PM

62,619 posts, read 88,705,178 times
I prefer a piece of real meat, home seasoned and baked/roasted than any store bought "luncheon meat". At least you know what you eat, and you have it prepared your way. Cutting across the grain is a must for all meats. If you want it really very thin ( the way I cut it for a Pho ) you need to almost freeze the meat before cutting.
Great tip, Nomadicus!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics