Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM

44,475 posts, read 20,273,814 times

Advertisements

Happy hump day, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip!

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Many cars these days have all sorts of gauges and what some call "idiot lights" on their dashboards. One that startles some folks, sometimes unnecessarily, is the "Check Engine" light.

Yes, it can indicate a problem with your car's engine or systems. However, often this signal can simply be telling you that you need to unscrew and then re-tighten your car's gas cap. Yes, this minor thing can easily set off the "Check Engine" light.

This came to mind when I received some coupons yesterday from a local automotive shop. The coupon was for a "discounted" price of $89.95 for them to give a diagnosis when the check engine light comes on. Many dealerships charge $100 or more for computer diagnoses, and that doesn't include any repairs!

If your "Check Engine" light comes on while you're driving, don't panic! You car's not going to explode! Listen to the engine, and if your car sounds and feels normal to you, it may very well just need the gas cap adjusted. Take note that when you adjust the gas cap it can take a day or so, depending on how much you drive, for the warning light to go out. If it doesn't go out within a couple of days, then take your car to your dealer or automotive shop and have the engine checked.

I've had the "Check Engine" light go on in my car two or three times over the past 10 years, and each time it went out shortly after I unscrewed and then re-screwed on the gas cap. The same thing has happened to at least a few of my friends. None of us ever had to spend a dime having the problem diagnosed.

Of course, if you notice unusual sounds or other other audible or tangible problems when the warning light comes on, have a professional check it for you. Also, read your Owner's Manual about the various warning lights on your dash.

Happy driving!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-22-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,251,106 times
My old Suburban doesn't have those things. I have to figure out myself if it has a problem!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 PM

62,604 posts, read 88,705,178 times
It happen to me!!!!! It was the gas cap! So be aware and re-tighten your car's gas cap. I think you need to hear at least 3 "clicks"...
This is a very useful tip, Pam! I am glad you posted it

Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM

We had to replace our locking cap for an inspection a couple years ago. EPA crap!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 PM

62,604 posts, read 88,705,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
My old Suburban doesn't have those things. I have to figure out myself if it has a problem!
There is no better feeling like having a good running, good looking car with NO payments!!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM

44,756 posts, read 62,145,227 times
That's a valuable tip. Though when you tighten the gas cap and it shows Check Engine Light again it could mean it is one of the oxygen sensors going bad, the one that is that tied to the catalytic converter which could become an expensive repair down the road.
Also when the Check Engine Light comes on you can get a basic free diagnostic check at your local auto supply dealer, such as Checker, NAPA, Auto Zone etal. Their test can tell you if you need a gas cap replacement or if one of the sensors is the problem. Several independent repair shops will also do a basic check for free. Then you can make the decision to pay for a full diagnostic check. A few bucks spent on a diagnostic check can save you thousands of dollars down the line in repairs or replacements. A catalytic converter for example costs on the average $1500 to replace.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,459,642 times
Any light coming on in the dashboard area freaks me out. I did learn with the car I had before this one that the "check engine light" does sometimes mean that I need to tighten the gas tank cover.

I now let it click 3 times before moving on to something else.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 AM

16,819 posts, read 17,587,124 times
Don't forget about the 710 cap!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There is no better feeling like having a good running, good looking car with NO payments!!
Unfortunately, the only good thing about mine is it's paid in full and it runs good.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 AM

23,490 posts, read 29,418,702 times
My low-tech 27YO Toyota will be the last car I'll ever own. If I go out of town, I always rent one of these new "space crafts" with all these new technological wonders built in, where I've had to consult the owner's manual to just figure out how to use the stereo system! GPS? Oh Lord! This incurious low-tekkie refuses to figure out how to operate it! Always afraid I'm going to push the wrong button!

I don't believe my car has that function included, never saw it go on yet, if it does exist. I did rent a car in October, and that light went on coming from Tucson to Phoenix, and I drove all the way back to Las Vegas with the light on. Come to find out, it was signaling one of my tires being low on air!

With a rental car, you ignore those things, as I take out the LWD everytime and who cares if the motor burns up!!! Always so glad to be back driving my Toyota again!

I just hope they don't include that function in the electric bike I plan to buy in my retirement years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics