Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times

Advertisements

Happy hump day, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

MEDICAL CARE BILLS

I found this very informative article in the most recent issue of Reader's Digest: check this out .

Take the time to read the article, titled, Why A Hospital Bill Costs What It Costs. Among other things, it emphasizes the importance of shopping around before you undergo a medical procedure. Make some calls as you would if you needed a construction estimate or an estimate to repair your car. Before scheduling a procedure, call more than one hospital and call your surgicenter if you have one. Get some estimated prices up front. Often, especially with procedures which are done on an outpatient basis or require only a night or two as an inpatient, a surgicenter can provide care that's on a par or even superior to that of a hospital - for a significantly lower cost.

The article also talks about deciphering hospital bills. If you receive a huge bill that's not itemized, call the hospital and ask for an itemized bill. If they drag their feet about sending an itemized bill, keep on them until you get it. Then scrutinize every item on the bill. Mistakes are common, especially in coding. A coding error can cost you hundreds or tens of thousands of dollars.

These are just a couple of examples of the great info in the RD article. Be well informed before your need for medical services!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-05-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,538,098 times
I found that out about MRI costs recently. I wrongly assumed it would be cheaper to have one done in a hospital, but it is much less expensive at a lab, and there are a lot of places that do them now.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,422,498 times
Excellent tip!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
In our area for surgeries I've found that you cannot shop around unless you keep changing doctors. Most doctors have a relationship with a particular hospital that they work out of. They actuall have reserved blocks of time at these hospitals. So if you tell your doc you want to shop around, then the doc will recommend you see another doc that serves another hospital. Your insurance won't go for that.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
No more cat scans for me I hope. Even if they were free! Thanks for the tips Pam!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I found that out about MRI costs recently. I wrongly assumed it would be cheaper to have one done in a hospital, but it is much less expensive at a lab, and there are a lot of places that do them now.
First, great topic, PJ.

I am under the impression that an MRI costs $2500.00. I did shop but I need to look into this further.
I do not have health insurance and I took a bad fall in a severe storm a few months ago. Just my rotten luck I was stepping off a curb when a sudden gust of wind turned my umbrella inside out and blew me over. I landed hard on my right knee.

I had a cortisone shot which gave me a little relief but now it hurts just as bad as when I first saw my regular doctor. A month later I went to an orthopedic surgeon who charged me $200.00 for the shot and the draining. I got another $260.00 bill in the mail the other day that I am disputing. I was grossly misled on his cost. He seemed he know what he was doing and both him and my doctor told me I would need an MRI.

I'm willing to drive to a nearby state if necessary in order to bring the cost down. Your post and this topic is giving me some hope.

If anyone has anything to add it will be much appreciated.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
God Bless the NHS.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Thanks for the tip Pam.

I carry major medical and pay cash for simple Doctor's visits. It's not the same to shop around when you pay cash I will call to ask for a cash price for things and I can never get an answer. It's like they are stumped because you aren't using insurance They really don't know the cash price Even with insurance it's the same... different prices for different insurance companies. It's all a scam and something really does need to be done about it.

Nitram-That makes sense but it sure puts people in a bind.

John-Try asking for a cash discount. I can get 25% off in TN.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
AMEN!!! Friend was billed for 7 hrs hospital stay: a room and board ( he never made it to any room and didn't get any meals ), meals, duplicate labs, scans that never were made, and meds he didn't received. The total bill was $33K.
After he got it itemized and dispute every charge with the billing department the end bill was just over $8K. His wife was with him all the time and she remembered every procedure and every service he received. ( yep, you might have to take a "witness" with you )
In my long carrier working in a hospital, I never heard about any bill that was in favor of the patient. All those "mistakes" were made to suck more money from a patient or insurance.

So, guys - listen to Pam! Ask for itemized bill AND check every single item on it.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
At 62, I've never had a Cat scan, nor an MRI, nor a hospital bill. I'm an extremely curious creature until it comes to discovering what lurks within my body! Even if they were free, I still wouldn't have one!

All I have to hear is: Looks like you have the very early stages of....................................and, before he/she completed that sentence, I'd be running like a cat with my ears plugged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics