Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,972,082 times

Advertisements

I don’t understand it,,, every closet gets filled with stuff, the garage gets full of stuff, and the storage shed is full. It’s time to move to a larger place or rent a storage unit close by,,,,,, and those are NOT options that I want. So it appears that the only answer is to get things packaged and ready to take to the second hand store. I love to donate items for those charities that are in need. It helps them and me. One thing for sure is I will avoid renting a storage unit at $50 a month. Nothing that I have is WORTH that much so why should I rent one of those units? A neighbor down the block has one of those storage pods now sitting in his driveway,,,,, and it’s been nine months or so that it’s sat there. People are crazy for buying and keeping things around that they don’t use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 PM

19,700 posts, read 9,644,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This is my #1 pet peeve at home.
We'd have plenty of space if spouse would just throw things away. Every inch of the garage, floor to ceiling is cabinets, also have a 10 x 6 ft overhead storage rack. Every closet is full of 'stuff', most which is useless. Under the beds, and in the closets are 'stuff'. Every few months I take 'stuff' to charities yet she finds more 'stuff' to bring home. Over 50% of stuff is from Michaels. And I would say a good portion of the 'stuff is way over 20 years old...
I'd have to say in my family, it's the other way around. He's a "collector" stereo stuff, msuic cds, other dvds, empty beer bottles [yup], haha. I love him though. We take to charity like others on here have said, but yet, we could really stand to have another wing built off from this house - just for DH.

We like our house and I'm not sure if we could find the same thing for the same price - just yet. Several years back we were actually able to convert the basement to a rec room area and we do have a small storage area off to one end. Shelving with crates on both sides and even in the middle have filled up the void. You could at one time walk between the area of the two shelving units. Building an enclosure off from the basement and adding a patio area would be helpful but the quoted price of that was over $6,000. I've been looking for other cost effective fixes and maybe to get other price quotes, if I tell them it doesn't have to have that "millionaire" look but I don't want something that looks dumpy either. Need more time to go through some websites for those ideas but don't have a whole lot of time to sit in front of the computer either. I'm able to check some sites on my iphone but can't see some of the pics up close enough and some sites aren't optimized for mobile viewing [at least that's what they say].

"One of these days"
[ I'm starting to sound like my parents with that line].

Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM

16,738 posts, read 17,514,161 times
As has been pointed out the issue isn't getting more storage space, it's adapting to what you've got.

I've had a hard time over the winter clearing my late FIL's house.

Boy, that was a job and a half! He wouldn't throw things away and bought things 'because they were cheap' whether he needed them or not.

He thought he was being frugal but in fact he was being wasteful.

I won't go through the list of things I disposed of because it would take too long and would put my blood pressure up just thinking about it.

The day I went up into the roof space and saw what he had put up there was the day I started to lose the will to live.

Despite getting charities to take some stuff away, going to the dump with stuff I could manage, taking all his good clothes to the charity drop off, relations taking some furniture and us having a big TV there was still a load of stuff there.

In the end I got a professional clearance company to sift through what was left.

They took reasonable stuff to auction rooms but that left nearly TWO TONS of rubbish that went to the dump!

Don't ever leave that kind of situation for your kids to have to sort out- we will try not to.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM

24,599 posts, read 26,163,378 times
I wish we had good enough stuff for these guys.

American Pickers — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video

Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM

4,711 posts, read 3,292,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
As has been pointed out the issue isn't getting more storage space, it's adapting to what you've got.

I've had a hard time over the winter clearing my late FIL's house.

Boy, that was a job and a half! He wouldn't throw things away and bought things 'because they were cheap' whether he needed them or not.

He thought he was being frugal but in fact he was being wasteful.

I won't go through the list of things I disposed of because it would take too long and would put my blood pressure up just thinking about it.

The day I went up into the roof space and saw what he had put up there was the day I started to lose the will to live.

Despite getting charities to take some stuff away, going to the dump with stuff I could manage, taking all his good clothes to the charity drop off, relations taking some furniture and us having a big TV there was still a load of stuff there.

In the end I got a professional clearance company to sift through what was left.

They took reasonable stuff to auction rooms but that left nearly TWO TONS of rubbish that went to the dump!

Don't ever leave that kind of situation for your kids to have to sort out- we will try not to.
When I cleaned out my parents house...........it was so emotional.........if I threw anything out I felt like I was throwing away my past and my memories. I brought a lot of it to my house and stored it in the basement. Hubby and I didn't want to clutter up the basement but I couldn't let go of everything. Looking back I really got rid of more than I should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics