Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,034,074 times

Advertisements

Who's to say about this guy and his relatives. To die alone and apparently unloved by his family is a sad way to go. The vast majority of the homeless don't have wads of money. Many suffer from some form of mental illness and are not being treated for it. I came across a homeless veteran on another forum that was certain he couldn't get any help from the VA because he wasn't in a war. I had to keep telling him over and over he was wrong. He was BP1 and needed to be on his meds. So some aren't even aware of existing help and afraid of authority and the system.

DK, all they have to do is say there was evidence of drugs on the money and its theirs. If the guy had no one that cared, then who's gonna make a fight out of it. The media would put it down in their news of the weird section and that would be it. Seeing that the relatives didn't seem to care about the money, perhaps this was a small amount to them and not worth the bother. To the very rich 10k would be like 10 bucks or less. Maybe he got the 10k as some inheritance, the black sheep of the family. That makes me think of The old show "Taxi" and the Reverend Jim "Iggy" Ignatowski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,463,741 times
I would not keep the money. Karma is a bltch.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,900,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
You couldn't possibly know that to be true. Some homeless people do have money, but for whatever reason, they choose to be homeless.

I find it VERY hard to believe that no relative wanted it, regardless of how they felt about the man. That doesn't sound normal.

Oh yeah, keeping it would never even enter my mind. That would be stealing--stealing from a homeless dead person-heck, that can't look good on your final resume!

I am sure someone, somewhere will decide that they are owed that amount, and that will be the end of it.
I've see a lot of patients that have been abandoned by families. I'm sure the hospital asked this guy's family members to claim his personal property without disclosing how much money he actually had. They probably didn't want to be stuck with the liability of trying to figure out what to do with his remains. I work at an LTACH now and we had this patient who was a total horses *****. His wife filed for divorce and none of his children came to visit. He was with us for about a year. He had a heart assist device and no nursing home could accept him. I work a lot of Holidays and it is sad to see how many patients are alone.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
If this guy wasn't on medicaid, they would have considered him indigent. Hospitals don't like giving away care for free. I could see them trying to put in their claim for the guys bill. It would depend on how fiscally sound the hospital was and the CFO. Given the additional information, I would definitely take it and give it away to help the homeless.
Not even remotely tempted to keep some for yourself? I often wonder what I would have done if I had known the money was there but a long time ago I found some money in a car I was looking to buy at a car dealership. I took the money only because the car was unlocked and located the salesmen that was driving it and returned it to him. He wound up taking me out to dinner as the car was being prepped for sale and we had a really nice conversation about his wife and children. (Animals )

Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Although not anywhere near this much money, I have personally had to file "incident reports" for elderly residents who had money and personal items stolen from them by staff.... and these poor people were still ALIVE! Sickening...and yes, it can be a really horrible job, but it can also be the best job in the world....
Taking something from someone sick in the hospital is despicable, but taking something from someone that doesn't need it anymore is a different matter. The best job in the world? Maybe if you like being torn in 5 different directions, having to wait an hour or so to use the facilities, work with uncaring sometimes incompetent staff, crazy unrealistic family members, no raise in 5 years. I could go on and on. The best part of my job is when the dogs come to visit.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Finding a wad of cash on these 'homeless' types is not that uncommon.

We found 27k on a train hopper.
Was that person deceased?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay87 View Post
I think the more important question is where did that guy get it? He likely did not earn it so there is someone out there missing $10Gs. Leave it up to the police to figure that out I guess. I know I wouldn't take it but I'm sure some in the chain of command would, either in the hospital or the police department...
I wouldn't put it past them. The hospital was kind of ghetto, though not as bad as some areas. I used to ride my bike to work and my shift ended at 1130pm. I would haul buns out of there until I reached the more affluent subdivision where I observed some idiot urinating in the street.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,034,074 times
No, despite my situation now, I couldn't take the money and use it for myself. Helping others with it, especially others in a homeless situation would probably be what the guy would have wanted done with it. To do anything selfish with it wouldn't be right.

What I hate is when people don't appreciate a kind deed like your returning the money to the salesman. There are plenty like that around. Nice of the guy to treat you to dinner.

Related to theft at a healthcare facility. Long story short, when my mom went to the hospital complaining she had trouble swallowing, they asked her if she was depressed, so then they shift her to the geriatric psych area. Then they planned to move her back to the hospital but had no beds so they move her to some nursing home type place, all without telling me. Well anyway, her shoes were stolen by their caring staff. I got her out of there quick. I hate how they push old people around, and some have no family or ones that don't want to bother at all.

Last edited by todd00; 04-16-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,698,251 times
todd00, owe u a rep.

When my dad was in hospital the "caring staff" stole his wallet and credit cards. It took 8 months to get NY telephone to cancel a bogus landline opened with his ID. Someone also stole the CPM machine for his knee surgery, it is used to help the patient walk after a knee replacement.

I would not take that money, but wouldnt give it to hospital admin either. They are greedy and selfish imo.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM

13,804 posts, read 10,161,777 times
Not I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics