Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
It's been around since the 30s...just saying.
The City-Data He-Man Woman-Haters Club has not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeishere View Post
yzette the negative effect feminism has had on society is no joking matter
It has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with misogyny. There is a difference. But welcome to the forum.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
I cannot speak for extensive experience on this forum, but I have seen a few things. I didn't know there was an actual club, but its possible. I have noted that any negative comments about women in general or groups of women are not well accepted, and this includes the moderators. My guess is that it is part of the culture. For example, there are many TV programs and advertisements that portray men as fat stupid, inconsiderate, etc. On many of the ads, the women are slim and attractive and the men tend to be overweight and plain, even homely. Its just part of what's going on in the culture. In most of popular culture, women are portrayed with generally positive characteristics and men are not. Many of the men on TV are also portrayed as stupid, wimpy, and servile to their wives and girlfriends. EG. "Tool Time" and "Everybody Loves Raymond."

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Will there be a party and are the women invited?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM

409 posts, read 497,639 times
Lol..somebody's been on tvtropes..

That age category seems high though. DQs me and a lot of people my age. :P

Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I cannot speak for extensive experience on this forum, but I have seen a few things. I didn't know there was an actual club, but its possible. I have noted that any negative comments about women in general or groups of women are not well accepted, and this includes the moderators. My guess is that it is part of the culture. For example, there are many TV programs and advertisements that portray men as fat stupid, inconsiderate, etc. On many of the ads, the women are slim and attractive and the men tend to be overweight and plain, even homely. Its just part of what's going on in the culture. In most of popular culture, women are portrayed with generally positive characteristics and men are not. Many of the men on TV are also portrayed as stupid, wimpy, and servile to their wives and girlfriends. EG. "Tool Time" and "Everybody Loves Raymond."

Irrelevant. How men are portrayed in ads has nothing to do with it. That's a separate issue--and a debatable one at that. There are plenty of shows and ads that cast women in stereotypically bad light, as well.

Really, it's a snarky catch-all term I use to describe men who, through their own fault and lousy attitudes, can't form healthy relationships with good women and blame the entire female gender for it instead of looking at what they could be doing wrong--those who can't see that the common denominator in all of their failed relationships is them.

It's really that silly and simple.

Not for nothing, but we all have our perceptions. Some have decided that I'm a feminazi because I've called out utterly sexist and backarsewards advice like, "Tell the women to let the men win," on a thread about young women who can't get second dates. It's kind of ridiculous, because if people are going to stalk my posts and spend hours and hours of whatever short, precious time they have on this earth chronicling the things I say, they would know that I'm the first to call out gold-diggers, fake ingenues, princesses, and other bratty females as well. Would it help if I launch a "City-Data Gold-Digging Principessa Club?"

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
Lol..somebody's been on tvtropes..

That age category seems high though. DQs me and a lot of people my age. :P

Sorry, but you have to have to be older to be that crusty.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with misogyny. There is a difference.
Two sides of the same coin in many ways.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Criteria would be:

- Age 35 or older

- Divorced OR have never been in a serious relationship

- If divorced, were too wimpy to fight during your divorce, signed everything away just to get it over with, and are now kicking yourself for doing so OR had a lousy lawyer during your divorce and therefore got screwed over

- Have not been able to get two consecutive dates with the same woman since OR gave in to a mid-life crisis and got taken for a ride by a 25-year-old gold-digger

- Are obsessed with the cost of going on a date that you asked for

- Use words like "hypergamy," follow idiots like Mystery, and make declarations about how you've decided to become an alpha male or player and will never, ever get married, ever

- Rail against the institution of marriage, blather on about how society is "rigged" in favor of women, and in general act like a belligerent little child in this forum because you had your heart broken and now you hate all women for it.

It's a small club, with only three or four bona-fide members. Best part is, you don't get to decide who is in the club. I do, as I was the one who came up with the term a couple of years ago.

Right now, you might be an aspiring member, but you're a bit too young and there's still hope for you yet.
I think the age limit is completely open.
There's a lot of misogyny in this folder.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Two sides of the same coin in many ways.
I don't agree. If a man hates a woman because she's a feminist, that's a personal problem on his part.

The term "feminism" has been corrupted by misogynists who can't handle the fact that men no longer have a monopoly on power and can no longer control women the way they used to 50 years ago. True feminism doesn't seek to cut men down or elevate women above them. It's about equal rights in the workplace and before the eyes of the law, and empowerment through education and independence. If a man is threatened by that, the problem is his, because women aren't going back to the June Cleaver days of asking their husbands for permission to buy a refrigerator.

I think men are great. I just don't like it when people--male or female--who are their own worst enemies lash out at entire groups of people because of situations they've created by and for themselves through their own actions and attitudes, and then blather on ad infinitum, ad nauseum for months and months and years and years of threads. At some point, the light should go on: Maybe it's them, and not the rest of the world.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There's a lot of misogyny in this folder.
I don't see much misogyny, just a bunch of frustrated dudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics