Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you do when you're driving and someone is tailgating you?
Nothing 17 22.67%
Go Faster 3 4.00%
Go Slower 30 40.00%
Other - explain below 25 33.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,285,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Lotta idiots here... Common sense and simple reading of rules for all you license holders simply explains to move to the right when possible and LET faster traffic by. . .

If they are 5mph or 50 mph faster than you, you are supposed to move to the right when safe and let them by, not cause further problems that ARE not for you to resolve...

How about that kay, more clueless examples of not knowing what to do. .

If on a one lane road you can move slightly right and let them pass at there best opportunity. . .

If you are in the middle lane and someone wants to get by, TRUCKS and people with trailers can't use the left lane and the middle lane is there passing lane.

Not one of you got this right, so when i say 94% im very low when categorizing you clueless steering wheel operators. . .
I'm pretty well known as Long Island's foremost driving authority, and most of this is just nonsense. I had a feeling this would happen due to all the preemptive LIMA jokes in this thread.

Before you comment on driving ever again, I'm now forced to require you to DM me so I can review and approve the content. Thanks in advance for your cooperation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,733,311 times
I concur that Lima must first discuss driving with S13 before he posts.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,768,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
I'm pretty well known as Long Island's foremost driving authority, and most of this is just nonsense. I had a feeling this would happen due to all the preemptive LIMA jokes in this thread.

Before you comment on driving ever again, I'm now forced to require you to DM me so I can review and approve the content. Thanks in advance for your cooperation
You doubt the legendary LIMA??!?

FF to 1:08 and witness what he's capable of.
chronicle trailer HD - YouTube

Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,768,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverChessies View Post
I don't slow down, just tap the breaks lightly so the tail lights go on and scare the tailgater. If he wants to drive up against my butt I am not going to make it easy for him.

And in my experience these tailgater folks are just bad drivers, not necessarily trying to get the guy ahead of them to go faster but just bad drivers who hug the car ahead of them. A friend of mine drives this way, they have no problem being 2 feet from the car ahead of them while going 75 on the parkway! Just a bad driver!
To get serious for a moment --- I'm almost 100% certain that this is the proper procedure to take with tailgaters. Good post. Applying even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal lights up your brake lights without actually braking -- nearly everyone (barring someone heavily under the influence) will instinctively brake as a result. I won't claim to be an expert like LIMA, but I think what he suggested is actually VERY dangerous. I would advise no one here to listen to that nonsense of moving into a different lane. There's a good chance the tailgater will move to that lane first (try to pass you on the right) and you collide.

one caveat- if you're doing 50 in the left lane on the parkway and wondering why everyone's tailgating you, then maybe you should get over to the right when it's safe to do so. Again I am just a regular driver that took a defensive driver course in the past and did the Drivers ED thing. I am not the 4% elite driver... yada yada...

Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,183,994 times
By the way the laws from state to state vary, and are also sometimes vague and contradictory. Add to that the law enforcement officer may interpret it one way and the judge another (judge wins BTW).

State "keep right" laws

Old 11-12-2011, 07:28 PM

200 posts, read 458,190 times
You know what sucks when driving?

When a patrol car is tailgating you.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 AM

999 posts, read 2,365,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Lima Driving Lesson 5,789.

Ok...so what do you do when you are tailgated in the right lane of a two land highway?

I can't wait your response.

I can see you never read anything about rules...

never impede faster moving traffic, move right... READ, if you all did this there would be no stupid questions

So if you and the other clueless drivers had any clue which none of you don't hence the 94% clueless drivers out there.

How would someone tailgate you if you were DRIVING...

Driving means paying attention and watching the road and mirrors for all traffic...

So if you did such then you see the car behind getting closer...already knowing they are faster

If on a single lane roadway hammer, like so many people are used to actually driving on, that are DRIVERS, you move to the right slightly before the car behind tailgates...

See when you're retarded and do not DRIVE and pay attention then you have these stupid posts on this board and have stupid answers from people with stupid advice...

So far this post has 99% clueless drivers. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post

You're kidding i hope, you're part of the 99% of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
To get serious for a moment --- I'm almost 100% certain that this is the proper procedure to take with tailgaters. Good post. Applying even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal lights up your brake lights without actually braking -- nearly everyone (barring someone heavily under the influence) will instinctively brake as a result.
That's a stupid post to go along with and it's not smart.

hitting your brake pedal to just light up the lens is stupid and could cause the car behind to hit them even harder.

Making for a STUPID situation. . .

Quote:
I won't claim to be an expert like LIMA, but I think what he suggested is actually VERY dangerous. I would advise no one here to listen to that nonsense of moving into a different lane. There's a good chance the tailgater will move to that lane first (try to pass you on the right) and you collide.

Are you just retarded...... If someone is tailgating you, mostly they're waiting for you to wake up and get to the lane you belong in, so moving to the right is what YOU are supposed to do...

However in your scenario here a collision happening wouldn't be possible, and if i have to explain that using the tailgating scenario then you need to just sell your car and burn your license.

You do understand what tailgating is right ?

Clueless on long island, where atleast 94% of these drivers are driving, and 99% in this thread. . .

Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,183,994 times
Quote:
If on a single lane roadway hammer, like so many people are used to actually driving on, that are DRIVERS, you move to the right slightly before the car behind tailgates...
Why? Moving to the right could 1) put me off the road, 2) have me cross the white line to my right which is technically illegal. If you are doing the speed limit you just need to maintain your speed. You are under no obligation to break the law or put yourself at risk to accommodate a speeding non-official vehicle.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,285,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I can see you never read anything about rules...

never impede faster moving traffic, move right... READ, if you all did this there would be no stupid questions

So if you and the other clueless drivers had any clue which none of you don't hence the 94% clueless drivers out there.

How would someone tailgate you if you were DRIVING...

Driving means paying attention and watching the road and mirrors for all traffic...

So if you did such then you see the car behind getting closer...already knowing they are faster

See when you're retarded and do not DRIVE and pay attention then you have these stupid posts on this board and have stupid answers from people with stupid advice...

So far this post has 99% clueless drivers. . .

You're kidding i hope, you're part of the 99% of this thread

That's a stupid post to go along with and it's not smart.

hitting your brake pedal to just light up the lens is stupid and could cause the car behind to hit them even harder.

Making for a STUPID situation. . .

Are you just retarded...... If someone is tailgating you, mostly they're waiting for you to wake up and get to the lane you belong in, so moving to the right is what YOU are supposed to do...

However in your scenario here a collision happening wouldn't be possible, and if i have to explain that using the tailgating scenario then you need to just sell your car and burn your license.

You do understand what tailgating is right ?

Clueless on long island, where atleast 94% of these drivers are driving, and 99% in this thread. . .
Funny, I don't recall approving this content - you are now in violation of our No Driving Misinformation Agreement, LIMA. Any further driving-related posting without my explicit approval will result in disciplinary action. Please don't make me do that, I'm just here to help you learn as you are firmly within the non-driving 94%.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 9,002,342 times
Uh oh, Martin is here.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics