Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 AM

16,677 posts, read 17,449,350 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers and Happy Father's Day.

One thing that does annoy me is that we all lead hectic lives and it would be nice to think that your home is a refuge from some of the pressures of daily life.

One thing that, to my mind at least, attempts to infringe upon the sanctity of the home is people who 'cold call', that is people who arrive unannounced, and try to sell us things at our door. Now, my mind being what it is, we may have had this before and apologies if we have.

However, today's peeve is;

Cold Callers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,882,460 times
I don't even like warm callers... Pain in the *****! Always at the worst time ring ring ring... BTW, I hate telephones. Especially cell phones which are all consuming and the latest huge monthly expenditure. Why does everyone fall prey to these traps. Cable, satellite, internet, cell phones... everyone continues to line up for these monthly paycheck robbers. No wonder everyone is always broke!! They keep adding to the technology to keep you hooked... all the little games and gadgetry! We did without all this crap up until just a few years ago. We did quite well without it and had much more money for other things! Gullible people wake up!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,186,101 times
Where I get really Pi$$ed off is when I shake my head no or give them a sign that I am not interested while holding a barking dog and they still want to run that sales pitch.....

At this point its like should I reach through the door and squeeze your neck to help you better understand or perhaps let the dog lose on your arse and let you get bit

Then after regaining my composure I calmly just shut the door, wave bye bye and go back to whatever it was I was doing

Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
And they usually call right at dinner time

I am very lucky here in TN. First no one on their right mind would venture into our property and to the top for anything. Besides they can't get through the locked gates and they would probably have heart attack before they got to the top, lol.

As for callers. Try registering your # with the no call list. Jezer do you have that? I don't get many calls anymore

Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,217,163 times
Very seldom see door-to-door salesmen anymore......except for religion.

I'm not too fond of unexpected guests, either.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,705,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Very seldom see door-to-door salesmen anymore......except for religion.

I'm not too fond of unexpected guests, either.

You took the words right out of my mouth,Cunucu Beach.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 AM

27,360 posts, read 27,411,236 times
I understand cold calling and salespeople are only trying to make a living by doing the job. But I don't like to be pushed or conned. No means no, end of story!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 AM

36,441 posts, read 16,043,304 times
Nobody comes to my door and I ignore the calls.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,148,694 times
Not too many here.

Just the kids selling chocolate bars or Girl Scout cookies..

Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM

44,643 posts, read 61,669,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I don't even like warm callers... Pain in the *****! Always at the worst time ring ring ring... BTW, I hate telephones. Especially cell phones which are all consuming and the latest huge monthly expenditure. Why does everyone fall prey to these traps. Cable, satellite, internet, cell phones... everyone continues to line up for these monthly paycheck robbers. No wonder everyone is always broke!! They keep adding to the technology to keep you hooked... all the little games and gadgetry! We did without all this crap up until just a few years ago. We did quite well without it and had much more money for other things! Gullible people wake up!
100% agree with you satyx. If people would only stop and add up how much these things are costing them on a monthly basis they might be able to save for their future.

We're fortunate that we live in a retirement community where there seldom is an unexpected caller at the door, usually the JW's, and through the peep hole we see them and ignore them. As far as phone calls, that's another rarity since we have DNC and a answering machine to screen calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics