Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 AM

16,821 posts, read 17,587,124 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers, and believe me it is a good morning.

I woke up, without any alarm going off, at 4-45am.

I have been threatening to go take some pictures at Stonehenge for some time and today was the ideal time to do it- I'll explain why later.

I'm now home again and I'm glad that I took those photos.

Stonehenge, a World Heritage Site, is currently in my opinion a National Disgrace.

The way it is presented is an example of much that is bad in this Country.

We have a fantastic resource that is blighted by short sightedness and petty officialdom.

The good news is that massive changes are afoot and will be in place by this Winter.

I hope that the changes will mean that Stonehenge is given back its dignity.

My POTD is;

A wonderful place spoilt.

Last edited by Jezer; 06-19-2013 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 AM

First off peevers here are the lovely shots of Stonehenge. They are taken from the path running along the road that passes very close to the stones.

All looks great at this point;

An hour after sunrise;

The stone circle from the Heel Stone;

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM

What I haven't shown you is what many have seen as the downside to the site.

The road runs really close and the awful car park and place where you get your tickets is opposite.

The road is dangerous- many tourists look the wrong way when crossing, and an American tourist was killed there.

The reception building is not worthy of the name- a crappy hut is a better description.

The initial view is of that bloody fence.

Spoiler

The road running alongside;

Spoiler

And that awful place where you park and get your tickets;

Spoiler

Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 AM

Things they are a changing.

Next week the road gets closed at one end so that it cannot be used as a through route. I suspect that the car park remains open for some time.

Tomorrow it is due to rain and after that the Summer Solstice is upon us and the place will be heaving with people.

By wintertime the new visitor centre should be open and visitiors will go to the Stones, which will be about a mile away, either on foot, or by a land train.

The new centre being built;

The view back up the road that will eventually go;

I hope that some of you look through the photos and at my comments.

I was born near here and I used to picnic in the stone circle as a kid.

As the World has got a busier place that was never going to last, but the way that the authorities mishandled this beautiful place upsets me, as I think you can tell.

I hope that things will be bright for the future.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 AM

21,745 posts, read 8,880,895 times
As I live in a major travel destination myself, I can understand how you feel, Jezer. Horrible abominations are also committed here in the name of the mighty tourist dollar. I went to Fisherman's Wharf a few years ago with an out of town visitor, and I couldn't believe how tacky and commercial it had become, with cheap souvenir shops, wax museums and overpriced bad restaurants. I felt nauseated and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Stonehenge is unique, like the Parthenon or the Easter Island carvings. It deserves to be protected and showcased in an environment that honors its history and its majesty. Thank you for sharing those photos of the real Stonehenge, which we'll never see in any travel program or tour book. I'm glad that changes are afoot, and let's hope the "bloody fence" comes down, too.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 AM

62,620 posts, read 88,705,178 times
This is a great peeve, Jezer! I also see many such places everywhere.
Beautiful shots of Stonehenge!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 AM

36,579 posts, read 16,165,576 times
Beautiful pics Jezer, but what a terrible way to have to get in to see them.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,717,483 times
Good morning Jezer and peevers

OH my gosh.........I see what you meant. YOu presented this well jezer.
I've always been intrigued by Stonehenge and the mysteries behind this.

Then to see the delapated fence around and picture what the area would be like......my gosh......that is awful.
The royal family should donate money to preserve this. They wouldn't even miss it.

Stonehenge is ancient, isn't it. I bought a book on this when we visited England.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 AM

50,665 posts, read 64,788,723 times
Since I will probably never get to see it in person, thank you for your lovely photos.
Here in the States, a place like Stonehenge would be controlled by the National Parks Service. It seems to me they do a very good job, most of the time. In the past, at least, there has been a bottomless pit of government money to keep things maintained nicely. I haven't visited any parks lately, so perhaps cutbacks have occurred here.
Who is responsible for Stonehenge and it's upkeep? At least they haven't put up condos next to it yet.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,112,425 times
Wow what wonderful pictures. Stonehenge fascinates me.

I agree that some things are spoiled. We have many landmarks in the US which have been commercialized to grab the ultimate dollar from the visitor. Money hungry mongrels as I call them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics