Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM

661 posts, read 1,252,885 times

Advertisements

A 1961 VW Beetle. I paid $125 for it in 1969, it took $75 to have it's king and link pins replaced. I drove it 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,044,921 times

My first car was a 1970 Ford Galaxy 500 very similar to the one above. Mine was a light brown color though. It was my dad's old car and he gave it to me. At some point the gas gauge broke and it was an expensive repair so I had to calculate the number of miles I could drive before I ran out of gas. One time I miscalcuated and I'm sure you know how that turned out...lol.

My favorite 'car' was the first brand new vehicle I bought, a 1990 Ford Ranger pickup. It had sport wheels and a sliding glass window behind the seat. It also had a great stereo system. I loved that pickup and drove it for many years.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,193,075 times
First was a 1987 Mazda 323 that had been sitting in my uncles field for a few years with a smashed in windshield. My dad knocked the dents out of it, and slapped a new windshield on it and called it mine It didn't have reverse, I was lucky to get up to 50mph in a few miles from startoff and it always smelled a bit like cats, but I loved it. I named it Maurice, because it always reminded me of a pissed off little french guy.

My favorite was a 1991 Chevy Silverado Diesel truck. I can't find any pics of what this particular one looked like.... but it wouldn't matter anyway. Mine was so beat up it was ridiculous That thing could get through ANYTHING! I spend many weekends laughing my bum off while pulling people out of the ditches of mud and snow ( country girl here, always had lots of guy friends who figured they needed to teach the girl how to operate/fix/go mudding in this truck....and it was usually ME pulling THEM out of some lamebrain situation)
Wouldn't drive it now, and I'm back to a little girly car due to gas prices. >sigh< but I still miss my truck

Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM

44,388 posts, read 20,113,945 times
First car, I bought for $100 in 1976. It was a white, 1962 Olds 98. HUGE! It was really good shape. Bought it from original owners. It had power windows - must've been a real luxury when it was new! The trunk was so huge, I think I could've had a party in there. lol I drove the car for two years and then sold it for $200. Not a bad investment, huh?

Favorite car is my current one, which I bought on 04/10/10. A Honda Accord EX with all sorts of extra crap on it that I didn't need but have always wanted! I paid off my last car early and then for 2 years made "pretend" car payments into a savings account so I'd have a big down payment on the next new car. It turned out to be a great plan, because otherwise I could never have afforded the Accord. I love it!

The day I bought my Accord - April 10, 2010.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,435,290 times
My first car was a 1966 mustang, my Mom and Uncle found it for me and paid $300.00 for it.
It was my 16th Birthday present. A few thousand dollars and about a year later I could actually drive it. Untill then I had my Honda Express Moped
I worked my butt off to make money to fix her up, I sold it a few years later to a Family member who minted it out, He still has it.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,222,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

This looks very much like my first car. It was a 1950 Plymouth. Mine was green and also had running boards. My father bought it for me when I was 17. New paint job, new seat covers, a radio that cost more than the car....which was $75.00. ahahahahaha. He bought it from a school teacher in our west Texas town. When I left for college my sister drove it and then Dad sold it for $75.00 to another teacher in town.

The car guzzled oil. The gas gage didn't work (so I kept a log of mileage to know when to fill up) and it was impossible to find tires for it without driving to a Ft. Worth junk yard for replacements.

I loved this car. There is nothing like your very first car. I never left the city limits in it but I sure had fun rolling around Abilene in this car. I called it the Green Bomb and meant it in the best of ways.

What great memories! Thanks, Demonbane.

That car reminds me of my absolute favorite photo of my mom and her brother when they were young. She would be the little Marylin Monroe look alike in the photo with the car in the background. I even had this picture enlarged to almost a poster size and had it framed.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,924,625 times
Default 67 Mustang GT 2+2

My first new car was a 67 Mustang GT 2+2 fastback, 289 that I took on a road trip to the northwest with a couple of friends after I was discharged from the military. We had a ball driving from Omaha to the Pacific northwest in Washington. Memories of that trip returned six months ago when my friend said that he still had some 35mm slides that he had taken in route. I was able to get my hands on them and transferred them to digital format, not the quality of today's digital cameras but I sure enjoyed looking at some of those old pictures of the trip.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 08-28-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,063,309 times
My first and favorite car was a 1996 Honda Del Sol.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM

44,388 posts, read 20,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
That car reminds me of my absolute favorite photo of my mom and her brother when they were young. She would be the little Marylin Monroe look alike in the photo with the car in the background. I even had this picture enlarged to almost a poster size and had it framed.
This is priceless, Thursday!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM

222 posts, read 419,989 times
First car - 1983 Camaro

Favorite car - 1995 Corvette

Could be somewhat of a tie as my first car is a sentimental favorite, but the Corvette is the all-around favorite (performance/fun factor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics