Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM

44,405 posts, read 20,141,429 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? Candles. I have lots of them and do have to use them on occasion. Funny this would come up today. I'm leaving in half an hour for a weekend trip to Amish country in Indiana. My friends and I are going to have dinner tonight with an Amish family at their home. That means no electric lights; we'll dine by candlelight and lantern light. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? One couple I'll be with has done this before and they said it was a great experience, sitting at table with the Amish family and learning a little about their culture.

Bonus Question:
If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? No.

Just for Fun:
What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? When we had a really bad blizzard in March 1998, the neighborhood was without power for 2.5 days. Luckily, I had a lot of candles and didn't run out. I guess the most unusual thing I did was to sit with a blanket around me, with a cat on my lap, and played solitaire for hours with a real deck of cards (as opposed to the PC).

Word of the Day:
Prolix \ pro-LIKS; PRO-liks\, adjective;
1. Extending to great length; unnecessarily long; wordy
2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length
Oops! I tend to do this sometimes. I'll ramble on and on and just won't shut up. I'll beat a subject to death and will repeat myself over and over and over again. And then I'll talk some more. I'll just keep going and going, like the Energizer bunny. Sometimes what I have to say is interesting; other times what I have to say is probably downright boring because I just go on and on and on, repating myself over and over and over again. And then I'll talk some more. It's just a gift I have, or a curse, depending on how you look at it. I'm a pretty good listener, too, but when I talk, sometimes I get carried away. Did I say this yet? I tend to ramble on and on and just won't shut up. It even happens when I type e-mail messages or posts here on City-Data. I'll just go on and on and won't shut up. Somebody hellllllllllllllllp me!

Today is:
International Do a Good Deed Day
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day Hey, my drum is so different, I don't think I'm even in the same band as the rest of y'all!

I'll be gone till Sunday night. Have a great weekend, everyone. I'll shut up now. LOL

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-12-2011 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,342,646 times
Good morning!

Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? Matches??

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? No

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? I don't think I ever did anything weird. I remember brushing my teeth, stuff like that... but it's not weird!?

Today is:

Alfred Hitchcock Day
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day

Have a nice weekend!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:28 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,064,101 times

Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’?

OK lol in my case I was totally out of kerosene, no candles and had no clue where flashlight was so my alternative source of light?

My cell phone to be able to see in my bedroom to find my old Dell laptop that has a much better battery than the one I use daily.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around?

OK, maybe a slight exaggeration, but dang it was big! My Spider Hunter cornered it and I grabbed my vacuum cleaner and sucked that bad boy up - then made a thorough check of the house to make sure he didn't bring friends to the party

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )?

1) got coffee ready for morning
2) cleaned litter box LOL
3) fed The Beast (and no, not the spider)

Today in History:
1884 – Mississippi establishes 1st U.S. state college for women
1904 – Andrew Carnegie establishes Carnegie Hero Fund
1912 – Girl Guides (Girl Scouts) forms in Savannah by Juliette Gordon Low
1930 – Gandhi begins 200 mile march protesting British salt tax
1933 – FDR conducts 1st fireside chat
1966 – U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
1985 – Larry Bird scores Boston Celtics record 60 points not much to look at, but man that guy could play BB
1994 – Church of England ordains 1st 33 women priests

We said hello to:
1831 – Clement Studebaker, automobile pioneer, the Studebaker
1862 – Jane Delano, U.S. nurse, teacher and founder of the Red Cross
1923 – Wally Schirra, astronaut, flew in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, U.S. 1st three space programs
1939 – Barbara Feldon, actress, Agent 99 - “Get Smart”

We said goodbye to:
1888 – Henry Bergh, founder of the ASPCA (76) Thanks Henry for such good work
1945 Anne Frank, diarist (Diary of Anne Frank) murdered in Belsen Camp
2001 – Robert Ludlum, novelist (73) think I've read all of his books

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day loved this guy - so talented

Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM

24,562 posts, read 26,116,943 times
Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’?
Candles, flashlights and a few oil burning lamps. Need to get a generator.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around?
Nah it's boring around here.

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )?
Like I said it's boring here.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,409,745 times
Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? Fire to light my candles or flashlights.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? Ahaha and NO! I don't ever want to see anything like that. That's called LIVE horror movie.

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? hahahaah I don't know since it has been a really long time since the light went out.

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day

Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,647,232 times
Today's Questions:

Probably my cell phone if I didn't have candles or flashlights

Bonus Question:

Just the usual suspects

Just for Fun:

I haven't ever been without power for very long thank goodness so no time for any weird stuff

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day......................what a strange bird he was
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday...........he must be about 50 now
International Do a Good Deed Day.....good idea

Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM

48,290 posts, read 22,063,011 times
Today's Questions:

The gas fireplace adds some light to the den.....and I have two oil lamps and a supply of candles.....(we do lose power several times a season. )

Bonus Question:

Nothing scarey to report--no lurkers.

Just for Fun:

I guess cook a meal.

Have a relaxing weekend and don’t forget to

Thank you for your kindnesses!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,283,375 times
Today's Questions:

Candles my first option, then a flashlight. If my phone was charged, I could you my fancy flashlight app from there, I've already used that quite a few times.

Bonus Question:

Nothing scary.

Just for Fun:

Nothing weird. Sitting around and talking isn't weird nowadays, riiight?

Hi Joy~love the kitty!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,161,705 times
Good Morning!

Today's Questions:

We camp so we have a lot of "supplies". Battery lanterns, ac convertors, an old kerosene lantern..

Bonus Question:

Wildcat at a conneticut camp site.

Just for Fun:

Hmm..weird? Just watching the stars & the satellites in the sky which you can actually see when you are away from the lighted areas..drinking around a campfire & tripping over tree roots, jumping out & scaring people on the way to the bathroom.

Have a Super Saturday!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,489,070 times
If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? One of the advantages of having been blind is that I can get around totally fine without light. In fact this happened once before when the power went out and my dad was freaking out and trying to change the batteries to a flashlight in the dark. So I just did it for him instead and it was easy for me since I was used to not having my eyes to do things.

A nice thing to do when the lights are out is make a fire and sit by the fireplace. My dad and I do this a lot where we turn off all the lights and just sit by the fire and talk or listen to music and sometimes just sit there pensively.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? No.

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? I've read in the dark when my parents were giving me a hard time about going to sleep. I turn off my reading light, hook up my braille display, turn my screen off, and browse the net or read online books. When I was getting paper braille books, I could read them under the covers. Blindness has its perks.
Word of the Day:

I tend to write prolix posts.
(It says this is an adjective but that sounds weird.)

Enjoy your Saturday folks! Hope you have a good weekend!

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 03-12-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics