Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:12 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,042,462 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’?

My glowing personality???

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around?
Can't say that I have

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )?
Once when my power was out for several days, I would shower in total darkness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,714,346 times
Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’?
I have a house full of candles and flashlights. I also have a rack of batteries that I keep full

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around?
NO

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )?
Without normal source of lighting would not make that weird. I have a generator, left over from my race team, I can live fairly live normally.

Today in History:
1884 – Mississippi establishes 1st U.S. state college for women
1904 – Andrew Carnegie establishes Carnegie Hero Fund
1912 – Girl Guides (Girl Scouts) forms in Savannah by Juliette Gordon Low
1930 – Gandhi begins 200 mile march protesting British salt tax
1933 – FDR conducts 1st fireside chat
1966 – U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
1985 – Larry Bird scores Boston Celtics record 60 points
1994 – Church of England ordains 1st 33 women priests

We said hello to:
1831 – Clement Studebaker, automobile pioneer, the Studebaker
1862 – Jane Delano, U.S. nurse, teacher and founder of the Red Cross
1923 – Wally Schirra, astronaut, flew in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, U.S. 1st three space programs
1939 – Barbara Feldon, actress, Agent 99 - “Get Smart”

We said goodbye to:
1888 – Henry Bergh, founder of the ASPCA (76)
1945 Anne Frank, diarist (Diary of Anne Frank) murdered in Belsen Camp
2001 – Robert Ludlum, novelist (73)

Word of the Day:
Prolix \ pro-LIKS; PRO-liks\, adjective;
1. Extending to great length; unnecessarily long; wordy
2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length
3. Competitors in the Professional Popsicle Eating circuit.

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday
International Do a Good Deed Day
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day

Have a relaxing weekend and don’t forget to
[/quote]

Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 AM

18,292 posts, read 26,072,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post

Running a little later than normal this morning, because as I was working on the QOTD last night I had a long power outage and, of course was out of candles and kerosene for my lanterns

so on that note . . .

Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? I have flashlights all over the house, had to use them recently in fact!

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? Just me! lol

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1884 – Mississippi establishes 1st U.S. state college for women
1904 – Andrew Carnegie establishes Carnegie Hero Fund
1912 – Girl Guides (Girl Scouts) forms in Savannah by Juliette Gordon Low
1930 – Gandhi begins 200 mile march protesting British salt tax
1933 – FDR conducts 1st fireside chat
1966 – U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
1985 – Larry Bird scores Boston Celtics record 60 points
1994 – Church of England ordains 1st 33 women priests

We said hello to:
1831 – Clement Studebaker, automobile pioneer, the Studebaker
1862 – Jane Delano, U.S. nurse, teacher and founder of the Red Cross
1923 – Wally Schirra, astronaut, flew in Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, U.S. 1st three space programs
1939 – Barbara Feldon, actress, Agent 99 - “Get Smart”

We said goodbye to:
1888 – Henry Bergh, founder of the ASPCA (76)
1945 Anne Frank, diarist (Diary of Anne Frank) murdered in Belsen Camp
2001 – Robert Ludlum, novelist (73)

Word of the Day:
Prolix \ pro-LIKS; PRO-liks\, adjective;
1. Extending to great length; unnecessarily long; wordy
2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day I got a dvd set on him!
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday yay!
International Do a Good Deed Day

Have a relaxing weekend and don’t forget to
Have a great weekend!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM

8,878 posts, read 13,993,427 times
Good morning all! Thank for QOTD, Joy! Hope the power issues are all resolved at your abode!

Today's Questions:

Aside from my glowing personality, we have some flashlights and headlamps from other hobbies that we can use.

Bonus Question:

No. Never had that experience.

Just for Fun:

Well there was that time I used one of Magnum Mike's plays and .... ... Oops, sorry. You said we couldn't go there!

Well there was one time back when we had our RV. We lost power at home, so I went and brought the RV home from storage and we "camped" in the driveway with electricity, refrigeration, and TV!!! Woo hoo! The HOA was none to pleased, but they get over these things!

Today is:
Alfred Hitchcock Day This guy was cool! (and a master at his craft!)
Dennis the Menace’s Birthday Gee, Mr. Wilson... Aren't you coming to my party?
International Do a Good Deed Day As a matter of fact, my family will be doing a good deed today at a group home.
National Dance to the Beat of Your Own Drum Day There's no better way to live!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times
Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? - Hmm.. I think I paid the electric bill, plugged the lamp in, or replaced the burned out light bulbs... - Just kidding, we rarely get electric outages here.

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? - I saw a guy that looks exactly like me.. oh wait, that was me in the mirror..

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about ? - ) - LOL.. Well, it's not weird, but I remember hearing something years ago about a lot of babies who were born exactly 9 months after blackouts, but again, electricity rarely goes out over here, and when it does, the outage lasts for only a few minutes... maybe that's why I don't have any kids..

Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Just for Fun:

[b]Well there was that time I used one of Magnum Mike's plays and .... ... Oops, sorry. You said we couldn't go there!
LOL.. Gee Stripes, I'm glad to be such an inspiration to somebody!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,799,535 times
yeah for the weekend...

Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? I have my pocket flashlight I use at work often and also plenty of beeswax candles

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? no

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? nothing I recall.... hasn't happened in a long while

Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,067,481 times
Today's Questions:

If the electricity went out and you had no traditional source of lighting, what would you use to ‘light your way’? Computer or cell phone

Bonus Question:

If this has ever happened to you, when the lights came back on did you see anything scary lurking around? No

Just for Fun:

What’s the weirdest thing you ever did without your normal source of lighting (and no, I'm not talking about )? Hmm... Not sure.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,759,050 times
Today's Questions:

I love candles, so I have lots of those about.
We also have 5 maglites of various sizes, in handy places.
We have 3 old but perfectly functional oil lamps, which we've used during our last long power outage. A bit stinky but very bright.

Bonus Question:

No, nothing scary thankfully.

Just for Fun:

When the power outage was particularly long we pretended it was like a campfire and put several candles together in the middle of the tiled floor and roasted marshmallows and told ghost stories.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:07 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,512,461 times

....in honor of Joy's love for animals....I'll use animal dancers!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics