Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM

23,334 posts, read 29,217,989 times

Advertisements

Tonight I have a friend that is already 2 hours late in arriving, and I'm having so much fun on CD.com I've got my toes crossed that he'll call any minute and cancel so I can continue the fun.

Seriously, I learned of the cultural differences in my many trips to Latin America, reading the travel guide books where I was warned:
If a family from South America invites you to dinner some night at 7pm, don't arrive at 7pm or even 8pm or they'll never invite you back again. It's considered very rude behavior.

Over the years, I've come to understand that better. I now wish all those I invite over to my house for dinner exhibited rude behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Tonight I have a friend that is already 2 hours late in arriving, and I'm having so much fun on CD.com I've got my toes crossed that he'll call any minute and cancel so I can continue the fun.

Seriously, I learned of the cultural differences in my many trips to Latin America, reading the travel guide books where I was warned:
If a family from South America invites you to dinner some night at 7pm, don't arrive at 7pm or even 8pm or they'll never invite you back again. It's considered very rude behavior.

Over the years, I've come to understand that better. I now wish all those I invite over to my house for dinner exhibited rude behavior.
My late friends aren't Latin Americans. They're just rude $%^#s. I have adopted a 'start without you' mentality. You show up late? Fine. We're starting without you. We'll be inside, seated, and we will have ordered.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,652,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Are you or is anyone you know always late for everything. My question is why? Is it caused by poor time management skills, a complete disregard for other people's time or a combination of both.
Discuss.
Well what I've noticed with chronically late people that I know is they don't plan......anything. Everything in their life is haphazard and disorganized, so being late is part of the disorganization. It irritates the crap out of me, personally. I mean, as hard as jobs are to come by these days who in their right stinking mind forgets to set an alarm or turns it off and goes back to sleep? Idiots, that's who. People who can't get their lives together to save their necks. Hmmm....didn't realize how much this bothers me.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,261,411 times
No! Tell us what you really think! Please!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:54 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,677,555 times
I think that most "laters" don't realize how rude they are being. In their mind, it is not a big deal so they can't imagine how anyone else could feel that it is.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think that most "laters" don't realize how rude they are being. In their mind, it is not a big deal so they can't imagine how anyone else could feel that it is.
I used to think that, too, and I can't abide by people who are mad at you and don't tell you why they are mad at you...so I told them. Dude, it pisses me off that you're late ALL the time.
You get one of two reactions (neither of which is for them to be on time):

1. They belittle for you for being 'uptight' OR
2. They constantly apologize but don't change their ways (this tends to be the more popular approach).

One of my friends started congratulating herself and calling attention to herself because she was only 15 or 20 minutes late a couple of times...that's like "I only gave your bf a BJ, I didn't have sex with him!"

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 AM

333 posts, read 1,066,275 times
Bottom line is people who are late are SELFISH.

It's got nothing to do with 'fashion' or 'culture' or 'generation'. It's got everything to do with respect for people and basic good manners.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,350,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelizePlease View Post
Bottom line is people who are late are SELFISH.

It's got nothing to do with 'fashion' or 'culture' or 'generation'. It's got everything to do with respect for people and basic good manners.

I agree with this. Everytime I tell my husband to hurry up and get ready he tells me to RELAX.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,494,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
My sister is constantly late for everything, and it ticks a lot of people off. She's late for work every single day
this is where i draw the line personally. if you're gtting paid or paying someone, it's just plain rude to be late. once or twice cause somthing happened is fine. things happen. but consistnetly is totally unacceptable in my book. anfd if you're going to be late, try to call/email ahead of time and make up the time lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics