Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:43 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,025,856 times

Advertisements

Where I used to work I was on salary. I was not allowed to leave until my relief took over. Since there was no overlap between shifts there was an unwritten rule that you showed up 15 minutes early for turnover. The person that was my relief not only never showed up early, but was usually 15 to 45 minutes late. She did not care she was late all of the time. If she wanted a day off to do something and no one would trade with her, she would wait until 1 hour before the start of her shift and then call in sick. That almost always resulted in me working a double shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,411,973 times
As an Asian woman living in America, I learned that Americans are very focused on time. It is quite obvious that culture does influence how we view time. I mean I know not to be late for work, meetings, and other things, but I tend to be late for a lot of other things as well. My friends and I like to call it "CPT" (Color people time, don't take the word color too serious now) so we know not to take it too serious if someone's late. I think this is probably why we like to say ____ starts at "11" when it really starts at 12. We're one hour ahead and prepare.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,375,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
As an Asian woman living in America, I learned that Americans are very focused on time. It is quite obvious that culture does influence how we view time. I mean I know not to be late for work, meetings, and other things, but I tend to be late for a lot of other things as well. My friends and I like to call it "CPT" (Color people time, don't take the word color too serious now) so we know not to take it too serious if someone's late. I think this is probably why we like to say ____ starts at "11" when it really starts at 12. We're one hour ahead and prepare.
How interesting!! I never thought of it as a cultural difference!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,616,439 times
I can't stand it when people are late. This would be one of my personal pet peeves. My in laws are often many hours late and once didn't even show up. I can't believe the amount of rudeness involved in that.

I have to work on not being too early. Sometimes I have to wait in the car for a little while before going in. It makes me really cranky when I'm late or someone makes me late. I'm gonna blame that character trait on my dad. LOL

Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,940,397 times
People who are constantly late enrage the Chowhound.

Yes, bad enough to make him talk in the third.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 PM

27,421 posts, read 27,461,960 times
I always leave in plenty of time to where ever. Always. Rather get there a bit early than one minute late, I have a real problem with lateness, a real peeve.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:41 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,358,955 times
"Don't worry be happy" "Don't sweat the small stuff" U will never understand human behavior and no one can answer the question "WHY" for anyone else. Life is much simpler if u live yours instead of others. My mom told me that the key to happiness is staying focused on what I do and not trying to correct what my sisters do She was right. U can't make anyone march to the beat of your drum even if it for their own good and yours. And that's why people are always late

Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,350,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
My wife used to be always on time, then one day she exclaimed "I'm late", and the rest is history, twins.

This post is not about your wife's cycle LOL

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,818,216 times
I tend to be late to social functions. I suck at knowing how much time I need to get things done beforehand.

When it comes to school and work, I am hardly ever late.

There is a guy in one of my classes and he is constantly late. You'd think he would leave the house a bit earlier or something. I think he has a lack of respect for the class' time and our professor's time.

I hate feeling rushed and I hate being late. I am slowly but surely getting better at being on time for social functions (meeting friends for pizza, meeting a friend for a movie, meeting a friend for brunch, etc).

Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,957,905 times
DW and I are prompt, if not early for work, appointments, etc. Where we falter is doing on day trips or vacations. We always wind up leaving late.

I think a big part of it is that she works overnights and has to re-adjust her clock to daytime functioning when plans come up. It's hard for her to switch up her sleeping and activity schedules. So, we've become involuntarily flexible and we tryt to do our best to get places on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics