Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:06 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,270,367 times

Advertisements

You tell me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,389,960 times
In the kitchen on the top shelf we have tea, both sweet and un-sweet. My wife will have a diet soft drink liter bottle there often too. And behind the two pitchers of un-sweet tea there are usually containers of graded cheese and a bottle of cooking wine. The next shelf is narrow and takes leftovers in small Tupper Wear containers, as well as the egg container. The third shelf down is narrow sliding shelf also used for leftovers. The widest shelf is the forth down where she stores milk, and larger items. We than have three sliding drawers one for cheese and sour cream type foods, one is the Vegetable sliding section, and the last is the meat sliding container. The door is filled with five shelves all filled with drinks, pickles, mustard, mayo, and the likes. The top of the door shelves is designed to store bottled drinks, and is now storing a hard lemonade, and two water bottles we take with us to the pool. One shelf is designed to store butter.
The freezer side of our unit is also shelved. Top shelf is where we store our breads. We eat Ezekiel bread which has to be frozen. The next shelf down is where Mrs. Cncracer keeps her Ice Cream, all the lower shelves have an assortment of foods we like but don’t eat as often as the refrigerator side. In the last few years we have tried to use fresh organic foods as opposed to frozen foods. I think we are about 70% fresh now, foods taste better, and in our area we have a few great farmers markets which has made it easier.
In the Garage we have our 2nd refrigerator. It catches the overflow, and this week is the back up for a neighbor who had problems with her unit this week. Also a side by side we store thing in the freezer from Sam’s, cook out drinks fill the sliding drawers now as Mrs. Cncracer thought our last cookout would have beer drinkers, and we had over a case remaining. With our rate of drinking beer it will be there for a long long time. Today I have a cooked Boston butt from the grill in there, and lots of salad makings, avocados, and dips. We also store extra milk in this unit, now it has two extra half gallons of organic milk. We went to organic milk when the link between cancer and hormones being given to cows was confirmed. I have one steak in the meat section. The extra butter to be moved into the house when needed is stored on the door, and the eggs which will not fit in the inside unit stored on one of the shelves. We store extra soft drinks, garlic, pickles, olives, jams, and the emergency cheese supply in this unit also. Freezer is long time storage of thing we like to eat, but don’t too often due to richness, calories, fat content, and so on.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 AM

27,507 posts, read 27,542,288 times
My daughter usually keeps the fridge up to date and sometimes it irks me that she tosses out leftovers that are only a few days old. We have our differences in some things but keep it simple otherwise. She buys that yukkie nonfat milk and I do real milk. She likes the soft spread lard...I mean margarine, I use only real butter. But other than that ours is kept pretty clean.
Speaking of the fridge, I went to buy some juice from one of the vending machines last night at work and the expiration date on it was MAY 2009! I was ticked...and then remembered why I dont buy from that machine. Showed to bottle to one of the managers and told them if the vendors cant keep up with this stuff then he should take his machine out of our break room, theres those sandwiches, pizzas, microwave burritos that people buy when they dont have time go elsewhere and someone can get food poisoning. Why should WE have to look at the dates when its not our job?
Of course, stores are too, notorious for this type of thing.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,301,322 times
The milk is usually the first to curdle and go sour which grosses me out since I don't like it. I have one in there now.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,096,317 times
I just threw out some sketchy ham. Might have been okay, but I don't like to take chances especially with meat. Do still have some cookies in my freezer that a couple of my CD friends sent me last Christmas LOL I did eat a few about 2 weeks ago and I'm still here, so I guess they're good

OH and Satx - great picture! My word, you could feed a village and the little one is just precious

Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,549,841 times
My gosh satx!! That is more food that my fridge sees in a whole year!!! Seriously, mine only has a few frozen dinners, assorted lunch meats, juice and milk. Most of the shelves are empty now that the kids have moved out.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,270,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
I just threw out some sketchy ham. Might have been okay, but I don't like to take chances especially with meat. Do still have some cookies in my freezer that a couple of my CD friends sent me last Christmas LOL I did eat a few about 2 weeks ago and I'm still here, so I guess they're good

OH and Satx - great picture! My word, you could feed a village and the little one is just precious
Thank you ! I love her and she is beautiful! She has a brother or sister on the way too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My gosh satx!! That is more food that my fridge sees in a whole year!!! Seriously, mine only has a few frozen dinners, assorted lunch meats, juice and milk. Most of the shelves are empty now that the kids have moved out.
Yes ,.....I know!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,117,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
My daughter usually keeps the fridge up to date and sometimes it irks me that she tosses out leftovers that are only a few days old. We have our differences in some things but keep it simple otherwise. She buys that yukkie nonfat milk and I do real milk. She likes the soft spread lard...I mean margarine, I use only real butter. But other than that ours is kept pretty clean.
Speaking of the fridge, I went to buy some juice from one of the vending machines last night at work and the expiration date on it was MAY 2009! I was ticked...and then remembered why I dont buy from that machine. Showed to bottle to one of the managers and told them if the vendors cant keep up with this stuff then he should take his machine out of our break room, theres those sandwiches, pizzas, microwave burritos that people buy when they dont have time go elsewhere and someone can get food poisoning. Why should WE have to look at the dates when its not our job?
Of course, stores are too, notorious for this type of thing.
Oh yeah ... When I shop, I do not want to buy something that's set to expire the next day! I have no time to shop each day so I have to buy stuff that will last at least 2 weeks so I have learned to look at all expiration dates. Vending machines are another story as they should ALWAYS be stocked with fresh stuff. I purchased a soda which was expired from one of those machines and was irked to no end.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,117,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
You tell me!
The little one is so adorable.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:13 PM

77 posts, read 175,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Not really sure but I think it's on the verge of developing technology.
yup, that'd be my luck..something that could have cured cancer, and i threw it out...that would suck!!..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics