Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,077,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It's cuz the deer think you're so dear and want to antler up to ya...
You mean they're fawning over us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 AM

Hey Cala--great peeve and thanks for filling in. I'd rep you if I could but since I can't here's a And elizamary, take care and hope everything goes well with your trip.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,281,963 times
I actually hit and killed Bambi a few years ago.

Did $800 worth of damage to my car, too.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM

34,394 posts, read 20,662,638 times
My Dad's car is named Deer Slayer. No details needed for that one.

I had a deer shamois my car once. It ran out of the pasture and as I neared, it ran directly towards my car, so I moved into the next lane and it sort of brushed it's whole body against the side of my car. We were going 40 mph! The deer wasn't hurt, thankfully. Scared the beans out of my passenger beause it was on her side.

When I got home, it looked like someone had ran a cloth alongside my car to get the dust off.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,541,562 times
I've actually killed two deers in my life while driving. Possibly a better record than lots of hunters.

The first one was in the mountains of north Georgia. The second was a country road in north Florida. Both were at night and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. The first deer was large and really messed up the front of my car. The second time, it only left a small dent. Both times, there were trucks that stopped and took the deer (for meat).

Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,642,576 times
Many years ago, when my DH still drove, he was on his way home and swerved to miss a deer and hit a tree on the right side of the two lane road here, An insurance agent told us that it would have been better, insurance wise, if he had hit the deer. His actions were consideered at the time to be 'driving and losing control' of the vehicle. Had to fight for coverage at that time.

Around here the worse time is during the rutting season late October through November, which also includes the deer hunting season for firearms. Speed limit maybe 55 but you are a fool if you drive over 30 mph in many places. The deer do have their favorite road crossings, highest spot along the highway, near any lakes and other bodies of water. And the gravel roads? Ha, sometimes like their own private path. Creatures of habit and many times when I walk through the woods around here, you can see their paths and just about tell where they like to cross the highway.

They are attractive looking animals for sure. Big brown eyes and all. But they have no sense when it comes to roads around here.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM

34,394 posts, read 20,662,638 times
We have tons of deer around my house. The same three or four like to hover around the gravel road in front of our house. We have apple, pear and plum trees. And they love that stuff.

Yeah, the next peeve should be foolish actions to avoid foolish collisions!

Here in Oklahoma, I remember seeing a lady swatting air because there was a wasp or bee inside her car. It looked funny, but she could have easily gone off the road!

Just roll the window down lady!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,244,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I had a deer shamois my car once.
That happened to a friend of mine! It leaves the oddest looking streaks on the side of your car. I also have a friend who says a deer hit her car when it was stopped. She pulled over to the side of the road to look at a map. A bunch of deer came running across the road and one clipped the car.

They're so cute but boy are they brainless!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,244,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Here in Oklahoma, I remember seeing a lady swatting air because there was a wasp or bee inside her car. It looked funny, but she could have easily gone off the road!

Just roll the window down lady!
Yeah, I've seen people do that too. So, maybe deer aren't the only creatures that are brainless.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It's cuz the deer think you're so dear and want to antler up to ya...
Yeah, but that sort of thing mostly happens at stag parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics