Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,266,242 times

Advertisements

**** Hides in embarrassment**** Uncle Rugged has been known to do donuts on the lake in my boat because the boys told me to! I can't let em down!LMAO..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 AM

39 posts, read 55,105 times
age is only statistic number

Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 AM

153 posts, read 237,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I hate this line.

I never act my age. Even if I knew what the rules were for a 41 year old.

Just today I hung out with my son's class with a bunch of 10 year olds. They think I am so cool. We laughed and joked around together. I felt like one of the kids.

My Dad is turning 70 on Friday. I keep telling him that he's not old. Many people live to be 100. That means you have 30 years ahead of you. He didn't seem to accept that too well. His response was, "I don't think so."

The guy is in good health. Granted most of his friends and old workmates have passed. I think that can get to you.

Why not hang out with younger people? Wouldn't that keep you young? I mean, if my Dad hung out with people 30 years younger would it help in his outlook?

What are your thoughts on this?
I'm in a similiar situation. My mom is 72.....In her day it was different so I am trying the Senior Service in our town so she can meet other people in her age group and do things with them. She loves hanging with my friends but she's 72 I'm 44...... not much in common
IMO a little bit of spending time with younger people is ok but he may long for people with similiar likes and that may be in his own age bracket.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,315,484 times
I act the way I want to act.....I really never care what anyone else thinks.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,295,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ah the old saying "You're only as old as you feel".

I generally hang out with older folks, because thats how I was raised most of the time. I hung around with my dad and his friends most weekends, because we lived in the boonies, and away from anyone else my age.

I feel bad for people like my Grandmother. She has a lot of life left in her, but my Grandfather doesn't want to do anything. She'd like to travel, he doesn't, so she sits at home, and doesn't live her life the way that she wants.

No advice for your dad, its hard to tell adults what to do, if they don't want to hear it. I'd just state your opinion, and the rest is up to him. You should be secure in your decision, and the fact that you stated your opinion.

God grant me the wisdom to change the things I can, and grant me the strength the deal with the things I can't change.
Our friends tend to be about five-ten years older than us too. Makes us feel young! LOL! We are also good friends with two couples who are about ten-fifteen years younger. So it's all good. They say we need younger friends so someone is still alive to attend our funerals!

I don't think the thing about your grandparents, Memphis, is unusual. My mother and father-in-law were just like that too. He traveled in his business almost every week. So by the time my father-in-law retired, he was tired of it. He wanted to STAY home! They tried to compromise. They did go to Europe and take a cruise. She wanted to do some more, but he was pretty much done after that. Does your grandmom have any single lady friends who might also want to travel a little with her?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,232,776 times
You survive turning 30.....it turned out to be not so "old", after all
You survive turning 40.... ditto
You survive turning 50.... it really isn't "old".....yet.
You survive turning 60.....you're at the entrance to "old" but not quite there yet.

But 70??? That's OLD.....now you're inside the door and it has been slammed shut behind you.

Hate to be the party pooper but your dad will have to work this one out for himself. I'm 74 now and yes, turning 70 is the point where one can no longer deny being "old". Nevertheless, I survived it and life is even better in some respects than it was before.....like now I have an excuse for being the way I am.

My motto for the past 10 years has been......Age is an attitude.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,988,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I act the way I want to act.....I really never care what anyone else thinks.
Amen to that!! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,988,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You survive turning 30.....it turned out to be not so "old", after all
You survive turning 40.... ditto
You survive turning 50.... it really isn't "old".....yet.
You survive turning 60.....you're at the entrance to "old" but not quite there yet.

But 70??? That's OLD.....now you're inside the door and it has been slammed shut behind you.

Hate to be the party pooper but your dad will have to work this one out for himself. I'm 74 now and yes, turning 70 is the point where one can no longer deny being "old". Nevertheless, I survived it and life is even better in some respects than it was before.....like now I have an excuse for being the way I am.

My motto for the past 10 years has been......Age is an attitude.

I think you will appreciate this one...

Why is it that when you are under 40 you are "soooo cute" to the ladies.

When you are over 40 you some how turn into the "creepy old guy"

Then, when you turn 60 and 70 the ladies again say.. "He's soooo cute"

What's that all about? Hee Hee.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,232,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I think you will appreciate this one...

Why is it that when you are under 40 you are "soooo cute" to the ladies.

When you are over 40 you some how turn into the "creepy old guy"

Then, when you turn 60 and 70 the ladies again say.. "He's soooo cute"

What's that all about? Hee Hee.
Because the women in that age group outnumber the men 10 to 1.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 PM

44,399 posts, read 20,128,188 times
I don't plan on ever acting my age - at least not all the time. I act appropriately at work and in other situations where it is socially required, but I have a very playful and fun side, downright silly sometimes, and I'm not going to stifle it! It keeps me young at heart. I also think that people generally like being around happy people. I feel like a million bucks when I make someone else smile or laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics