Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,758,776 times

Advertisements

I will start by telling you I am in my 50's and still have fun.
I also run a Day Care so I am allowed to be silly but I had a day when it was so sad when it started raining and at the time I had a three year old here...I rolled up my jeans and was jumping in the puddles...she was horrified and said she could never be able to do that because her Mom would get so mad at her. The rain continued for a few days and one morning when she came in she came over and whispered in my ear "I did it"..at first I didn't know what she was talking about and she said it again then finally said "I jumped in the puddles like you did and I had fun"....it was so sweet and sad at the same time.

Sometimes silly makes you feel young no matter what your age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,988,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I will start by telling you I am in my 50's and still have fun.
I also run a Day Care so I am allowed to be silly but I had a day when it was so sad when it started raining and at the time I had a three year old here...I rolled up my jeans and was jumping in the puddles...she was horrified and said she could never be able to do that because her Mom would get so mad at her. The rain continued for a few days and one morning when she came in she came over and whispered in my ear "I did it"..at first I didn't know what she was talking about and she said it again then finally said "I jumped in the puddles like you did and I had fun"....it was so sweet and sad at the same time.

Sometimes silly makes you feel young no matter what your age!
Thank you. I loved the story.

Remember the movie with Harrison Ford?

The little girl spills her drink and he says, "I do it all the time." Then he spills his on purpose.

Don't sweat the little things. I have learned that now since growing up I was scolled often. Now I am more laid back and give reassurance and positive encouragement to my son.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,195,628 times
Hey, I hit 41 and decided to start aging backwards. (felt old since I was 10) And holy crap it worked! Even started looking younger. Yes sir.....it's all frame of mind.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,696,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
WOW!

That's called positive encouragement.

When you get to his age you feel you have one foot in the grave.

When you tell someone he has 30 years ahead of him then it's positive. Unlike someone saying, "Have you made out your will yet? Am I in it?"
Well we don't know how I'll be when I get to that age.

But I think a grown up is free to reject your positive encouragement if they so choose. You offer, and if it's rejected, step off.

(Your comment about a will is totally irrelevant to this thread and to my remarks.)

Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,368,515 times

YouTube - VINTAGE 80'S TOYS R US COMMERCIAL "I DON'T WANNA GROW UP, I'M A TOYS R US KID"

Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,266,242 times
Quote:
I hate this line.

I never act my age. Even if I knew what the rules were for a 41 year old.

Just today I hung out with my son's class with a bunch of 10 year olds. They think I am so cool. We laughed and joked around together. I felt like one of the kids.

My Dad is turning 70 on Friday. I keep telling him that he's not old. Many people live to be 100. That means you have 30 years ahead of you. He didn't seem to accept that too well. His response was, "I don't think so."

The guy is in good health. Granted most of his friends and old workmates have passed. I think that can get to you.

Why not hang out with younger people? Wouldn't that keep you young? I mean, if my Dad hung out with people 30 years younger would it help in his outlook?

What are your thoughts on this?
People have a sense of humor and some people don't. Often the people who don't have a sense of humor aren't the nicest folks you will meet. Every time I think I am going a little too far for my age, I look at my dad and my uncles and don't feel so bad. That is probably why they are still tickin and kickin! I also don't mind being the guy in front of the class to hopefully cheer someone up. My friends and I laugh so hard sometimes we nearly wet our pants!LOL...... When you go through hell like we did, you need a little laughter and the more the better for me. The guys who don't laugh are going nuts and are so far gone they probably won't come back. Which would you rather have, a guy who laughs or a guy who puts his fist through a wall? That's a no brainer for me!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,931,901 times
Quote:
I hate this line.

I never act my age. Even if I knew what the rules were for a 41 year old.

Just today I hung out with my son's class with a bunch of 10 year olds. They think I am so cool. We laughed and joked around together. I felt like one of the kids.

My Dad is turning 70 on Friday. I keep telling him that he's not old. Many people live to be 100. That means you have 30 years ahead of you. He didn't seem to accept that too well. His response was, "I don't think so."

The guy is in good health. Granted most of his friends and old workmates have passed. I think that can get to you.

Why not hang out with younger people? Wouldn't that keep you young? I mean, if my Dad hung out with people 30 years younger would it help in his outlook?

What are your thoughts on this?
I've always wondered exactly how any particular age is "supposed" to act...or look, for that matter. Nobody, thus far, has been able to give me any kind of logical answer. I think it depends on each individual's outlook and opinion.

Your dad is just being realistic. I'm pretty close to 70 myself and, believe me, your dad and I both know that reaching 100 isn't all that "realistic". I'm in great health...in mind and body...but I figure I'll be really lucky if I get another 20 years. In my family though we seem to either die old and worn out or young and tragic. I've long passed the "young" part so...The older you get the more readily you accept your mortality believe it or not.

So many of my old friends and classmates have passed away it COULD be depressing, if I let it be. I admit I check the obits in the newspaper too but that's because I know so many people in my town and area so I'm mostly just curious. I see so many people way younger than me dying and it makes me sad for their families but at the same time I am thankful I'm still here!

Hanging out with people 30 years younger won't make a person "feel younger". That's an internal and mental thing for each person, depending on their inclinations. I have friends of all ages and get along will with all of them BUT I have nothing in common with people my own age...except chronological age. Most of the women my age are in really bad shape, take handsful of meds every day, have many health problems and most are so overweight they can't get out and go/do like I can. I gave up trying to make friends my own age. My kids are mid 40s to 50 and I enjoy them but they sure don't make me feel "younger"! If anything they make me feel older. I mean, how did *I* ever get kids that old???

Anyway...age is a topic that everyone thinks about, talks about, analyzes and either accepts, rejects or fights. Smart folks just take it one day at a time, roll with the flow and live their life every day. And they don't worry about whether they "act their age" or care what other people might think.

Just a happy ol' lady's opinion.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,156,587 times
I think we should all be allowed to act younger if it'll make us feel better! Within reason, of course.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,274,203 times
A lot of times I'm 2; sometimes - 200; most of the time - the average... which happens to be my age anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,647,817 times
I don't seem to be consistent in this area. I'm 61 and sometimes act like I'm 80 but then I have moments when I'll act like a 12 year old. Hmmm, that could be a symptom of something serious. I do like to joke and clown around a lot and I've been that way all my life. When I was working I tended to hang around with coworkers who were much younger just because they were more fun. I do think that being around people who are energetic and want to do things is probably a good influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics