Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:24 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,953,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
So is the case with Honda... Honda cars were first sold only through Honda Motorcycle franchises through the 1960's and even 1970/71.

Suzuki best market and for a time.. the only US market was Hawaii. GM also sold re-badged Suzuki's under the GEO name.

I own one of Consumer Reports worst cars of all time... a Suzuki Samurai. I've had it for many years and continue to be amazed at how rugged and dependable it is. There really isn't anything like it on the American market... true low gear transfer case with rugged frame construction in a small, go anywhere package.

I mostly use mine to move heavy trailers around the yard and to transport diesel fuel for construction equipment.
Long past thread however, ...I had one of the first Suzuki's " jeeps", 2 cycle,3 cylinder back in the late 70s, loved it. ( very slow ). I now am thinking about a Samurai for off roading on my property two tracks up here in the U.P. Haven't found any anywhere close...still looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
Survival of the fittest....law of the jungle....unless you are GM

Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,953,444 times
There was a reason Henry Ford was so sucessful with the Model T, it was the first car the people who made then could afford to own. Today its all very complicated, cars, credit cards, forclosures, personal economy in general.... Maybe its time to return to cars we can pay cash for, can get fixed anywhere, can be recycled, cause their worth doing..... The Samurai was very light, simple, and today is demanding high prices. All that for a vehicle thats been out of production for 20 years. reason ?...all of the above, plus , a new 4 wheeler with a cab ( not street legal ether), will set you back 9,000, if you are licky, and still do less than a Samurai.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,305,748 times
Man, again, Drover is a wealth of closed mindedness.

Samurais are easy to find. They are hard to find for a decent price, however, as they are incredibly popular.

suzuki samurai - Google Search

The Sidekick (Geo Tracker) wasn't as popular because it got bigger, softer, and less capable. They can still be modded to be decent, but not as easily as the Samurai.

Another Suzuki that should have done better (and got sold quite a bit in it's Geo form) was the Cultus/Swift. Maybe if the Geo version had been sold in the GTi form like the swift did, things woudl have been better. The GTi version was a very fun little car. Very agile, with excellent sport seats and a willing, revvy 1.3 liter twincam engine that no other Geo or Swift got.

I had one almost identical to the one in the picture. 45 mpg, and a real blast to autocross. It's too bad we didnt' get the new one, as I hear is's also a lot of fun to drive...

They really should line up their cars with their sport bike offerings and sell them on excitment, not try to be Accord or Corolla competitors.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Man, again, Drover is a wealth of closed mindedness.
Well guess what Chumley: the market apparently agrees with me, and as a result the death watch is on for Suzuki Auto USA. Maybe the Kizashi can rescue it if Suzuki can manage a halfway decent marketing campaign for it. We'll see. Its current cult following notwithstanding, the Samurai was a decidedly inglorious introduction into the U.S. car market and consequently Suzuki was never quite able to gain its footing here.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,433,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe the Kizashi can rescue it if Suzuki can manage a halfway decent marketing campaign for it.

It can't. You can get better for cheaper.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 42,862 times
we are Americans.... we give preference to Ford, dodge.... we never even think about Suzuki.... we generally select the our country made automobiles.. suzuki where stands dont knw

Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It can't. You can get better for cheaper.
Well it seems to be getting decent reviews, but at the same time nobody seems blown away by it.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,802,156 times
Could it be that they're still mad about the bomb?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,663,038 times
Small car marks have trouble gaining market share unless, what they offer is truly better or offers a better value than the rest. To my knowledge Suzuki never fulfilled those criteria. However, their motorcycles are bad ass, in that market, they offer a truly world class product at a great price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands