Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,998,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I thought we were talking about Suzuki in this thread, hardly a general car maker.
Correct, but that they are trying to become mainstream. Otherwise, why else would they have even bothered with the Equator?

Quote:
They are a niche market providor at best and not one that is selling many cars.
The Kizashi competes with the typical Accord/Altima/Camry/Fusion/Malibu ... so no, they're not going after a niche market like the way Subaru has been.

Quote:
Besides that people actually buy Porsche cars and SUV's.
The reason I brought them up is that a part of buying a Porsche is being exclusive. And if they moved more volume than a brand that wants to be mainstream ... well, something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,400,079 times
Quote:
I thought we were talking about Suzuki in this thread, hardly a general car maker. They are a niche market providor at best and not one that is selling many cars. Besides that people actually buy Porsche cars and SUV's.
So what niche is Suzuki filling?

The only reason Suzuki could even be thought of as a "niche" car brand is because they have not achieved nearly the market penetration here that they had hoped for. In reality, Suzuki produces a million cars a year and is the #4 Japanese manufacturer by volume -- ahead of Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi. Some years they even outsell Nissan. So yeah... at that volume, they certainly are a general car maker.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,452,713 times
Quote:
I thought we were talking about Suzuki in this thread, hardly a general car maker. They are a niche market providor at best and not one that is selling many cars. Besides that people actually buy Porsche cars and SUV's.

No, they are a general market provider that doesn't sell many cars.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,452,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The only reason Suzuki could even be thought of as a "niche" car brand is because they have not achieved nearly the market penetration here that they had hoped for. In reality, Suzuki produces a million cars a year and is the #4 Japanese manufacturer by volume -- ahead of Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi. Some years they even outsell Nissan. So yeah... at that volume, they certainly are a general car maker.

What's funny is that they may be ahead of them generally, but fail miserably in the USA.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,413,896 times
OK So lets call it an also ran, but it is not a major player here in the USA.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,829,205 times
Suzuki wants to be mainstream here in the US, but they can't do it with their line up, and there seem to be no plant to flesh that out further.

Porsche is a niche maker whom some say have sold their souls to become more mainstream by offering the Cayenne and the Panamera, but they also have much higher profit margins and they make some money of merchandising their name. Suzuki doesn't have that kind of clout. But yes, the point is there that when you have a mainstream provider selling less cars then a niche automaker you are in serious trouble, especially when you have dealers that are not profitable because they have to sell the cars at our below cost and rely on used cars and parts and service to make money. Porsche dealers will sell you a car with good margins, beat you over the head with parts and maintenance if you have the audacity to own one of their vehicles out of warranty and then sell you a coffee mug, keychain, jacket, mousepad, etc to go with it. Ferrari is the king of this and most likely makes more money selling knickknacks then they do cars. They gotta pay for that Formula One team somehow.

Last edited by Tourian; 02-26-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM

929 posts, read 2,731,270 times
I worked for a dealer that sold Suzuki a fews back. I worked in service and found them to be a good overall vehicle. The other lines we sold were Acura, Nissan, and Mazda. The Suzuki's I saw only had little issues like trim. The rebadged Daewoo was not as reliable as I recall, but the true Suzuki vehicles were. I think lack of dealer support and commitment. Also cheap fuel for the most part other than 2008 and now makes most of us look at bigger vehicles. Small car market has a ton to choose from.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,269,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
why are american's against suzuki?
they killed my dad!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,550,214 times
The Kizashi isn't sold in Europe either.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,400,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
. . . the death watch is on for Suzuki Auto USA . . .
Death Watch over.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...tomobiles.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands